Bullnose Forums

Hydraulic Vs. Mechanical Clutch

Here's an odd question: I know many have converted to a hydraulic clutch, but has anyone actually gone the other way? I'm a "keep it simple" kind of guy, and to me the more simple, the more reliable. I haven't had any trouble with the hydraulic setup in my 85, but just like the simplicity of mechanical everything. I recently picked up a parts truck (82) that has a manual clutch, so that's one system I'm going to scavenge out of it, and keep. Anyone ever convert away from hydraulic?

I do realize the repair parts for these mechanical setups are getting harder to come by, so any bushings, etc., will likely have to be improvised if they are excessively worn. This isn't something that's on the current to-do list, but I just think that if the hydraulic system ever does start giving me trouble, it gives me the option to ditch it altogether. More pressing is the fixed steering column this truck has. That one IS on the list.

I've not converted back but I've repaired a manual clutch mechanism, and that's something you'll want to do before installing one. Lots of wear points that rarely got lubed so most of them are toast.

I've had to weld up and then turn some of them back on the lathe. And I've inserted Oiltite bushings to provide continued lube.

I have not back-converted from hydraulic to mechanical linkage… but I have owned both types in bullnose trucks and experienced issues/failures on both.

On the hydraulic system I had issues with failing / leaking cylinders. It did give me some warning signs and I was able to nurse it a while with adding fluid and repeated pumping.

On the mechanical system the failures have come in the form of a sudden snapping off of the pivot pin on the engine block and on the 90* end of the push rod that goes through the floor.

Loosing your clutch is never fun, but in my experience the mechanical linkage is LESS reliable… if I find hydraulic parts for my 81 I will convert it. These 40-something year old mechanical linkages with untold thousands upon thousands of stress cycles on them are ticking time bombs. I like the simplicity of a solid linkage but I believe that hydraulic is less likely to result in adventure 😬

I have not back-converted from hydraulic to mechanical linkage… but I have owned both types in bullnose trucks and experienced issues/failures on both.

On the hydraulic system I had issues with failing / leaking cylinders. It did give me some warning signs and I was able to nurse it a while with adding fluid and repeated pumping.

On the mechanical system the failures have come in the form of a sudden snapping off of the pivot pin on the engine block and on the 90* end of the push rod that goes through the floor.

Loosing your clutch is never fun, but in my experience the mechanical linkage is LESS reliable… if I find hydraulic parts for my 81 I will convert it. These 40-something year old mechanical linkages with untold thousands upon thousands of stress cycles on them are ticking time bombs. I like the simplicity of a solid linkage but I believe that hydraulic is less likely to result in adventure 😬

I agree on that! I have had two different Ford mechanical clutches that broke. In both cases it was the cross shaft splitting where the inner lever, the one the release rod to the clutch fork is attached to.

Both were small block V8s, a 1964 Falcon with a built 260 and a 1966 Shelby GT350 with the Cobra 289.

I did have a couple of hydraulic clutch vehicles, a 1961 Mercedes-Benz 220Sb and a 1958 F100. I also had a 1963 Jaguar E-type, but the attachment points for the bottom of the front sub-frame to the monocoque body were rusted badly, there were also holes in the front inside corner of both footwells. Car was parted out as a result.

Guess I'll just pull the parts and hang onto them. I've not had a mechanical clutch fail on me (yet), but I'll stick with the hydraulic for the time being.