Bullnose Forums

How Much Vacuum Should a Good Brake Booster Hold?

How much vacuum should a good brake booster hold? I have a booster from a 1986 F350, it's holding 7 inches of mercury, and not dropping at all, but that number seems kinda low. From reading online, it sounds like I need 14-16 inches?

My brakes suck, but I though a bad booster holds no vacuum at all? My vacuum pump is holding 22-23 inches of mercury.

IMG_9814_small.jpg.526168fa3af4a040c7a5de2b74d56989.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if your vacuum pump is holding 20 plus while connected to the booster then I think you are good. often when a diaphragm deteriorates it will have a hissing sound near the pedal in the cab and usually changes with range of the pedal. this becomes a vacuum leak to the engine and a controlled one at first then progressively worse until brakes get harder to push and idle suffers. it's a lean condition so pinging is also a symptom.

I'm confused. Are you saying that you are only seeing 7" of vacuum at the booster when the engine is running? But when you pump vacuum on the booster with your Mityvac it'll hold 22 - 23"?

If that's what you are saying then the booster is good. But the problem with your brakes is that you aren't getting enough vacuum to the booster. So the vacuum pump on your Cummins must be bad or you have a leak between it and the booster.

I'm confused. Are you saying that you are only seeing 7" of vacuum at the booster when the engine is running? But when you pump vacuum on the booster with your Mityvac it'll hold 22 - 23"?

If that's what you are saying then the booster is good. But the problem with your brakes is that you aren't getting enough vacuum to the booster. So the vacuum pump on your Cummins must be bad or you have a leak between it and the booster.

I just noticed the signature. 12v Cummins. good catch Gary. test the vacuum pump.

I disconnected the line going from the vacuum pump to the booster, and inserted a vacuum gauge. With the engine running, I was getting 22-23 inches on the gauge. So, I believe the pump is good.

Then, I connected the mityvac to the check valve on the booster used the mityvac to apply vacuum, and got a reading of 7 inches. The engine was not running, and the only vacuum line was the one going to the mityvac. Did I test this correctly?

I disconnected the line going from the vacuum pump to the booster, and inserted a vacuum gauge. With the engine running, I was getting 22-23 inches on the gauge. So, I believe the pump is good.

Then, I connected the mityvac to the check valve on the booster used the mityvac to apply vacuum, and got a reading of 7 inches. The engine was not running, and the only vacuum line was the one going to the mityvac. Did I test this correctly?

Ok, it does seem like the engine's vacuum pump is working. But the Mityvac ought to be able to pump up as much as the engine's pump does - unless there's a leak that is killing the vacuum at about the speed you are pumping. :nabble_anim_confused:

Can you tee into the vacuum line and see what vacuum you have with the engine running? Maybe the leak is overwhelming your engine's vacuum pump?

does you mity vac while connected to the check valve, not go any higher than seven at all or does it sink down and only hold seven?

Ok, it does seem like the engine's vacuum pump is working. But the Mityvac ought to be able to pump up as much as the engine's pump does - unless there's a leak that is killing the vacuum at about the speed you are pumping. :nabble_anim_confused:

Can you tee into the vacuum line and see what vacuum you have with the engine running? Maybe the leak is overwhelming your engine's vacuum pump?

The vacuum was holding steady at 7 inches for a good 30 seconds without me pumping, so I don't think that indicate a leak? I guess I could connect it tonight and see if it will hold the same number for 5 minutes.