Bullnose Forums

Pinion gear play: should I worry?

If its the same 83 that Joe wanted to ID a few days ago, we established only based on the VIN TAG that it was an 8.8"......

If Joe has a picture of the rear end, showing the front and back we can ID it more definitively. Since 9" swaps are very common.

if it's an 8.8 then it's a very common axle used in a ton of vehicles and has great support as far as parts go. the spider gears are a bit of a weak link on neglected units. this is very often the rotational play. spline wear is part, spider gear engagement is part, pin wear is part, added together then added to the ring and pinion lash, it can certainly feel sloppy. often when inspecting one of these (driveshaft removed) I will hold the pinion flange, rotate back and forth to "feel" what is going on. usually, I can feel the lash before feeling the spider gears movement. the spiders have an almost "spring loaded" feel. if it is minimal then I would not be alarmed. but if it is noticed mostly when changing from forward to reverse or vice versa. that is going to be ring and pinion lash. whether due to bearings or bearing adjustment, crush sleeve etc. of course this is assuming that u joints have been ruled out. universal joints in the driveshaft are far more likely.

if it's an 8.8 then it's a very common axle used in a ton of vehicles and has great support as far as parts go. the spider gears are a bit of a weak link on neglected units. this is very often the rotational play. spline wear is part, spider gear engagement is part, pin wear is part, added together then added to the ring and pinion lash, it can certainly feel sloppy. often when inspecting one of these (driveshaft removed) I will hold the pinion flange, rotate back and forth to "feel" what is going on. usually, I can feel the lash before feeling the spider gears movement. the spiders have an almost "spring loaded" feel. if it is minimal then I would not be alarmed. but if it is noticed mostly when changing from forward to reverse or vice versa. that is going to be ring and pinion lash. whether due to bearings or bearing adjustment, crush sleeve etc. of course this is assuming that u joints have been ruled out. universal joints in the driveshaft are far more likely.

Holy sh$$, do I see a tag on the rear diff?

How did I miss that.

If stock, it is an 8.8.

I will jack the rear up and eval as you guys said.

Thanks!

20240807_154521.jpg.fdd19c757fa930fd1534e72dbcf1e5bb.jpg

I totally agree with that.... all of that adding up makes it clunky! I adjusted my backlash to ~10000s ... it was at 35000~~!! but still there is a small clunk.

When Joe has the rear axle cover off it would be best if Joe can follow this video below and figure out where the play is...

This video does a nice job of explaining it

that there is an 8.8!

I will definitely follow that video.

I saw another one that showers a fluid change, but the guy used 75w140.

Same vintage as my truck.

I wont be doing that.

That D60 in my 84 F250HD was great.