Bullnose Forums

Confirming axles based on tag and library chart.

Hi guys

1983 F150 5.8 Auto 4x4.

The front tag says:

3 54 E3 TA VA

6 10168 - 1

From what the library info shows, I believe that the front is a Dana (spicer), limited slip,

Did I get that right?

I'm not sure how the rear would be identified. No tag.

I get some backlash at the rear. Something to deal with later.

Thanks.

20240807_161944.jpg.79efb4c80a27ace8f457ee9fe31d85f7.jpg

Rear axle number should be on the Vin Tag on the door opening... if you have a pic of that we can determine axle ratio and type... that will also help figure out the confusion below on the front axle.. as front and rear axles must use the same ratio....

As to your front axle, based on the document below 610168-1 pulls up as a 3.00 Ratio Standard axle but clearly your tag is market 3 54 so I'm not sure.. I would probably trust what is on the tag more..

https://media.spicerparts.com/cfs/files/media/4iQeZCDvGePv7Mpjy/x510-9.pdf

Rear axle number should be on the Vin Tag on the door opening... if you have a pic of that we can determine axle ratio and type... that will also help figure out the confusion below on the front axle.. as front and rear axles must use the same ratio....

As to your front axle, based on the document below 610168-1 pulls up as a 3.00 Ratio Standard axle but clearly your tag is market 3 54 so I'm not sure.. I would probably trust what is on the tag more..

https://media.spicerparts.com/cfs/files/media/4iQeZCDvGePv7Mpjy/x510-9.pdf

My luck, no VIN tag.

VIN is just on the dash tag.

Limited slip made no sense to me.

Glad I checked with you guys.

The engine sounds great - until the next thing breaks.

I find only one E3TA-VA in the list and it is a 3.54 gear but not limited slip, as shown below.

On the rear, it'll have to be a 3.55 gear which means it is an 8.8".

That helps... 610168-12 is what should be on that tag. Clearly the 2 is under surface rust...

The Spicer chart also says this is a standard... Lucky you. Don't have to deal with the smelly additive!! I love the smell but no one else in my house does. Apparently, they can smell it for days on me.

axles.png.90529e985267d25410d87bab5fe10e5b.png

That helps... 610168-12 is what should be on that tag. Clearly the 2 is under surface rust...

The Spicer chart also says this is a standard... Lucky you. Don't have to deal with the smelly additive!! I love the smell but no one else in my house does. Apparently, they can smell it for days on me.

Yup, I found the 2 under the rust!