Bullnose Forums

1985 302 ECM removal

Recently picked up another bullnose. First project is ongoing, but have now picked up a relatively unmolested but well used 1985 302 mfi with aod long wheel base.

I plan to remove the ECM and replace the capacitors. The ECM sits in a bracket in the center, more or less, of the dash. I see the 10 mm bolt that secures the wiring connector, is there another bolt that holds it in the bracket? Hard to see and my back isn't as limber as it used to be.

Thanks,

David

Yes, there's a small bolt that holds a tab in place. IIRC you can loosen the bolt, swing the tab out of the way, and pull the ECM out.

The tab shows in the lower right of this pic:

Fantastic Gary, thank you.

Fantastic Gary, thank you.

I got it out. That tab bolt has a 7mm head. The ECM actually looks good. Caps need replacing but the board isn't stained or corroded at all. I am thinking of buying one to have. Mine is E5TF-12A650-S1B. Rock auto has E5TF SA or SB. Is S1B considered SB? They don't offer one with a number between the letters.

Thanks, David

I got it out. That tab bolt has a 7mm head. The ECM actually looks good. Caps need replacing but the board isn't stained or corroded at all. I am thinking of buying one to have. Mine is E5TF-12A650-S1B. Rock auto has E5TF SA or SB. Is S1B considered SB? They don't offer one with a number between the letters.

Thanks, David

Glad you got it out.

As for the suffix, I’ll have to research that when I get home this afternoon. But those are ID #’s and they will cross over to a part number, and it is the part number that is listed in the master parts catalog for a given application. Typically, but not always, SB and SxB will cross to the same part number. I’ll see what I can find.

Thanks, David

Well, here we are talking about semantics again. If RA is saying that they have an ECM with the # E5TF 12A650-SA or SB then I believe they are wrong.

That's because a prefix of E5TF is for an ID #, not a part #. A part # should be E5TZ. And all of the ID#'s for ECM's in Ford's Master Parts Catalog have a suffix with 3 or 4 characters. Said another way, if the prefix is E5TF then the suffix has to be S1A, S1B, S2A, or S2B. And those are all valid ID #'s. (Actually, the MPC says one of those is "52B", but it has to be a misprint as it is perfectly sequenced to be S2B.)

And all four of those ID #'s map to one part number: E5TZ 12A650-SB. And that part number is used only in the following Calibration Parts List. Note that the ID#'s listed are -S1B & S2B. I cannot find a calibration parts list for an S1A or S2A.

So I don't quite know what to tell you. But E5TF-SB is wrong. Perhaps they mean E5TZ-SB? If so that's the one you want.

CC_479.jpg.1c3414e3fbf701b9905ba67dbd022dea.jpg

Well, here we are talking about semantics again. If RA is saying that they have an ECM with the # E5TF 12A650-SA or SB then I believe they are wrong.

That's because a prefix of E5TF is for an ID #, not a part #. A part # should be E5TZ. And all of the ID#'s for ECM's in Ford's Master Parts Catalog have a suffix with 3 or 4 characters. Said another way, if the prefix is E5TF then the suffix has to be S1A, S1B, S2A, or S2B. And those are all valid ID #'s. (Actually, the MPC says one of those is "52B", but it has to be a misprint as it is perfectly sequenced to be S2B.)

And all four of those ID #'s map to one part number: E5TZ 12A650-SB. And that part number is used only in the following Calibration Parts List. Note that the ID#'s listed are -S1B & S2B. I cannot find a calibration parts list for an S1A or S2A.

So I don't quite know what to tell you. But E5TF-SB is wrong. Perhaps they mean E5TZ-SB? If so that's the one you want.

Thanks Gary, Went back and looked just to make sure I hadn't misunderstood. Nope, it says, "E5TF-SA, SB". That's on the listing page. I did hit the info button and it says this:

"OEM / Interchange Numbers: E5TF12A650SA, E5TF12A650SB, E5TZ12A650SA, E5TZ12A650SB".

Still a confusion of id# versus part# and the '1' isn't there, but at this point I assume this is what I need.

Thanks again for looking it up.

David

Thanks Gary, Went back and looked just to make sure I hadn't misunderstood. Nope, it says, "E5TF-SA, SB". That's on the listing page. I did hit the info button and it says this:

"OEM / Interchange Numbers: E5TF12A650SA, E5TF12A650SB, E5TZ12A650SA, E5TZ12A650SB".

Still a confusion of id# versus part# and the '1' isn't there, but at this point I assume this is what I need.

Thanks again for looking it up.

David

The "E5TF12A650SA, E5TF12A650SB" are wrong. That's a combo of ID # and part #. But the "E5TZ12A650SA, E5TZ12A650SB" is right. And that's the part number you need.

The "E5TF12A650SA, E5TF12A650SB" are wrong. That's a combo of ID # and part #. But the "E5TZ12A650SA, E5TZ12A650SB" is right. And that's the part number you need.

Thank you, Sir.