Bullnose Forums

Wheels Question - Fair Price and Size

And for what it's worth, this is what 33's look like on the stock 1986 F150 wheel, with no lift. These wheels I think are the Type 5 and 7" wide. They rub a little bit on the sway bar or something up under there at full lock, but it's not too bad at all. Would look better with a small lift but I probably won't ever do that. This is a 4x4 so it sits a little higher in the front than a RWD I assume.

Interesting, looks good! Yeah I'm torn because I think I'd like a small lift but nice to know I could probably get away with 33s without a lift until I'm ready. Definitely would rather buy something now that I don't need to replace later (goes for both wheels and tires). Thanks!

Interesting, looks good! Yeah I'm torn because I think I'd like a small lift but nice to know I could probably get away with 33s without a lift until I'm ready. Definitely would rather buy something now that I don't need to replace later (goes for both wheels and tires). Thanks!

those pictures make the wheels look as though they have been painted silver and not merely clear coated. that would be a major put-off for me. 100$ wheels with 25$ worth of paint and 100$ lmc caps seems more fitting for a driver.

however, access to parts in a rust belt area has its costs.

those pictures make the wheels look as though they have been painted silver and not merely clear coated. that would be a major put-off for me. 100$ wheels with 25$ worth of paint and 100$ lmc caps seems more fitting for a driver.

however, access to parts in a rust belt area has its costs.

Honestly that was my concern too. From the photos they don't look like polished aluminum but rather there is some pearlescence or flake in the paint. I'm torn because I feel like I would rather have non-mint wheels but I've been struggling to find this style of aluminum Ford wheels with the smaller holes and really love the look. But with the paint it feels like the value is actually less than polished aluminum. Maybe I'm crazy but I might pass because it's a lot of money and I'm not 100% sold on them.

With that said, if anyone has a lead on rims like this but aluminum in any condition, I'm very interested.

Honestly that was my concern too. From the photos they don't look like polished aluminum but rather there is some pearlescence or flake in the paint. I'm torn because I feel like I would rather have non-mint wheels but I've been struggling to find this style of aluminum Ford wheels with the smaller holes and really love the look. But with the paint it feels like the value is actually less than polished aluminum. Maybe I'm crazy but I might pass because it's a lot of money and I'm not 100% sold on them.

With that said, if anyone has a lead on rims like this but aluminum in any condition, I'm very interested.

Update: I ended up finding some much cheaper wheels. My truck is going to be a user-grade truck, probably the furthest thing from a show truck. I found the same wheels not "re-done" much cheaper so I picked those up yesterday. The guy is a retired mechanic working on his own bullnose and went for more of a modern wheel style so he was selling these. I'm actually contacting him now to discuss a bit of welding rust repair because I've realized the anxiety of doing this myself has been holding me back from working on the truck so it makes sense to get someone else to help so I can keep moving forward.

This is what I picked up for $400 CAD (opposed to the $850 CAD the refinished ones cost). Looks like a bit of corrosion but I don't need 'em perfect. Looked at the refinishing procedure in the wheels tab but it looks a very labour intensive and I don't have any powder coating setup so I'm happy with user-grade wheels. Still much nicer than the rusted steelies on the truck.

20240805_182053.jpg.ae6fcc1260761daa8da041a6049c3798.jpg

20240805_182047.jpg.dbdfa186969db6dcda58184aa2863191.jpg

.... If I decide to put a 3-5in lift on the truck eventually, can I move up to a 33 or 35-in tire on these wheels? ....

If you do choose to go bigger on the tires I'll give you Gary's advice: check out the recommended wheel width for the tires you are thinking about getting.

In all likelihood the tire manufacturer won't recommend a 7.5" rim width for a 12.5" wide tire (kind of the standard width for a 33" or 35" dia tire). But there are also narrower tires available. 33/10.50-15 isn't that uncommon and would work well on those rims. There are probably other options as well.

.... If I decide to put a 3-5in lift on the truck eventually, can I move up to a 33 or 35-in tire on these wheels? ....

If you do choose to go bigger on the tires I'll give you Gary's advice: check out the recommended wheel width for the tires you are thinking about getting.

In all likelihood the tire manufacturer won't recommend a 7.5" rim width for a 12.5" wide tire (kind of the standard width for a 33" or 35" dia tire). But there are also narrower tires available. 33/10.50-15 isn't that uncommon and would work well on those rims. There are probably other options as well.

Yep, what he said. Too wide of a tire for a rim will cause steering problems that you can't resolve with toe, castor, camber, or air pressure.

Appreciate the advice Bob and Gary! I'm just jumping in to understanding this more and will explore if I want to go lifted or keep things relatively stock sizing. That's great context and good to know, I definitely have more learning to do!

Appreciate the advice Bob and Gary! I'm just jumping in to understanding this more and will explore if I want to go lifted or keep things relatively stock sizing. That's great context and good to know, I definitely have more learning to do!

Good to plan ahead. I'd go to Tire Rack and check out the tire(s) you are interested in. In the spec's you'll find the wheel width range. You don't want to be outside of that, and it is best to be in the middle if you can.

Good to plan ahead. I'd go to Tire Rack and check out the tire(s) you are interested in. In the spec's you'll find the wheel width range. You don't want to be outside of that, and it is best to be in the middle if you can.

one of the things I like the most about these wheels is how light they are. they should be able to hold 30x9.5 very well. maybe as much as 31x10.5 but I would not exceed that.