Bullnose Forums

Bullnose FAQ's

Gary Lewis

Another change you can add to your "Yearly Differences" tab:

In 1986, the lights on/door open "buzzer" changed to a "chime" for the XL and XLT Lariat models.

The standard pickup carried on with the buzzer.

(source: 1986 Ford F-Series brochure)

I noticed that you list 1983 as the year the "Lariat" name was dropped. How did you find this out? And, I wonder why that name wasn't used for 1983 and 1984?

I believe I have an '83 brochure. At least an '83 of all trucks. I also have the '83 factory manuals. And yes the feedback started in '84 for the 4.9L 49 states. Of course, CA was different and started earlier.

Another change you can add to your "Yearly Differences" tab:

In 1986, the lights on/door open "buzzer" changed to a "chime" for the XL and XLT Lariat models.

The standard pickup carried on with the buzzer.

(source: 1986 Ford F-Series brochure)

I noticed that you list 1983 as the year the "Lariat" name was dropped. How did you find this out? And, I wonder why that name wasn't used for 1983 and 1984?

Rick - Thanks, I'll add those bits of info.

As for the Lariat going away in '83, I got that from the thread Jonathan started on 1983 Vintage Advertisement Videos. As I said in one of the posts, at 11:04 we see that the XLT replaced the Lariat in 1983.

Rick - Thanks, I'll add those bits of info.

As for the Lariat going away in '83, I got that from the thread Jonathan started on 1983 Vintage Advertisement Videos. As I said in one of the posts, at 11:04 we see that the XLT replaced the Lariat in 1983.

Interesting videos!

It is strange that Ford used the "XLT Lariat" name in 1982, then dropped it to simply "XLT" for 1983 and 1984, and then brought the "XLT Lariat" name back for 1985 and 1986. They even used the same cab emblems as the 1982 models.

So, the top trim levels for the Bullnose trucks can be broken down like this:

1980/1981: Ranger Lariat

1982: XLT Lariat

1983/1984: XLT

1985/1986: XLT Lariat

Something else you may find interesting, Gary. My 1985 F-Series Owner's manual lists a 5.0L H.O. as an engine option, and it uses the same spark plugs as the 5.8L H.O. motor. According to the manual, the 5.0L 2V and the 5.8L 2V uses a different heat range than the H.O. motors. It's too bad that none were actually made.

Except mine! :nabble_smiley_good:

Interesting videos!

It is strange that Ford used the "XLT Lariat" name in 1982, then dropped it to simply "XLT" for 1983 and 1984, and then brought the "XLT Lariat" name back for 1985 and 1986. They even used the same cab emblems as the 1982 models.

So, the top trim levels for the Bullnose trucks can be broken down like this:

1980/1981: Ranger Lariat

1982: XLT Lariat

1983/1984: XLT

1985/1986: XLT Lariat

Something else you may find interesting, Gary. My 1985 F-Series Owner's manual lists a 5.0L H.O. as an engine option, and it uses the same spark plugs as the 5.8L H.O. motor. According to the manual, the 5.0L 2V and the 5.8L 2V uses a different heat range than the H.O. motors. It's too bad that none were actually made.

Except mine! :nabble_smiley_good:

Yes, they are interesting videos. And informative.

I do think you have the models figured out, but they they did that escapes me.

As for the 5.0 HO, I wasn’t aware that the manual said there was one, but the brochures don’t say it ever saw the light of day. Nor does the catalog. So, I guess you have a unicorn. 😎