Bullnose Forums

Off-topic: 1986 Jeep CJ7 steering gearbox

Hi Bill. Thanks for this detailed information.

Cardone said, if there is play, it's a thing of their warranty and I should not turn the preload screw...I will see, how the new gearbox, that I'll get in exchange, will behave...

I've installed the replacement-gearbox today. It fells much better after the first test-drive. I have to let set the track again, cause it seems that the strait-ahead-run isn't very good. I've flushed the system to get out all air and tried to center the gearbox as good as possible with the original steering shaft.

Let's see how it behaves the next weeks.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've installed the replacement-gearbox today. It fells much better after the first test-drive. I have to let set the track again, cause it seems that the strait-ahead-run isn't very good. I've flushed the system to get out all air and tried to center the gearbox as good as possible with the original steering shaft.

Let's see how it behaves the next weeks.

Glad the new one is better. Hope it is GREAT. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Glad the new one is better. Hope it is GREAT. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Maybe I've to correct my last comment about the better steering...as I'm driven today for a bit longer trip, it's the same bad feeling as with the other gearbox.

If you steer in one direction, it feels as the car needs some seconds to do this, so you have to correct the direction again. It's very hard to follow the road without steering all the time...

I'm a bit perplexed by now...also if Bill left nothing good on the most gearboxes...I can't imagine, that I've got two bad boxes...

I will be not amused, if I have had to buy another box from blue-top or red-hat, cause rockauto.com wants my old cardone box back. I have to pay 150 euro for shipping back one box. The box itself costs about 300 euro...

I don't think they will give me the money for the replacement unit back, but if they would, I have had invested 600 euro and got back 300 euro and have to invest again into a gearbox from blue-top, for example...

Maybe the problem can also be caused by my steering shaft? I already have replaced the coupler and the lower bearing...

I don't have an idea how to identify the part that causes the problem, for sure...

.... I don't have an idea how to identify the part that causes the problem, for sure...

Can you have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you watch for any movement? You need to look everywhere along the entire steering system to see if there are any parts that don't move together.

.... I don't have an idea how to identify the part that causes the problem, for sure...

Can you have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you watch for any movement? You need to look everywhere along the entire steering system to see if there are any parts that don't move together.

Yes, after my holidays, I'll check the steering shaft for play. Since I've installed the new box rockauto.com sent me as replacement, the steering feels much stiffer. Only the first 10 to 15 degrees of turning the steering wheel is sloppy. So maybe it's the coupler. It's the same construction as used in my bronco...if the coupler is the problem, I'll also change the shaft in my bronco to borgeson.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok...today I've found the problem. It's definitely the gearbox. The replacement NEW box from cardone...

As you can see in the following video, I've grabbed the steering shaft and turned it.

The steering wheel turns, but the lever doesn't move. If I try to hold the input shaft to see, if the coupler is the problem, I can't move the shaft...so, this is not the problem...

Maybe my only way is to buy a box from blue top...this is what I hoped not to have to do, cause of the costs, when not sending back a defective device...

I will send cardone also this video...I'm exited, what they will answer...

Ok...today I've found the problem. It's definitely the gearbox. The replacement NEW box from cardone...

As you can see in the following video, I've grabbed the steering shaft and turned it.

The steering wheel turns, but the lever doesn't move. If I try to hold the input shaft to see, if the coupler is the problem, I can't move the shaft...so, this is not the problem...

Maybe my only way is to buy a box from blue top...this is what I hoped not to have to do, cause of the costs, when not sending back a defective device...

I will send cardone also this video...I'm exited, what they will answer...

That is a bummer! And, as I said in my comment to your video, it is exactly while I will not even install a Cardone, aka Car Done, gear box, much less buy one.

If they won't send you yet another box, and I doubt they will, let's see if anyone in the forum has a core they will give you to send to Blue Top. I think I've sent my last one in but will look.

That is a bummer! And, as I said in my comment to your video, it is exactly while I will not even install a Cardone, aka Car Done, gear box, much less buy one.

If they won't send you yet another box, and I doubt they will, let's see if anyone in the forum has a core they will give you to send to Blue Top. I think I've sent my last one in but will look.

Gary, now you know why I rebuilt my own (actually, one from an inverted flown 1996 F150). I gave the old one to best friend so he had a core for his 1995 F350.

Hi Gary,

yes, it is! I will write to Cardone and RockAuto in copy to get my money back!

I have paid 150 USD for sending back the last defective device. I will build up some pressure

by telling them to post all facts in the common social media. I hope they will react about this!

Gary, if you do not have a core, I'm sure I can get one from Pete's, heck, maybe even a nice snug one.