Bullnose Forums

Peacemeal wiring fix and rear window seal

Hey Folks,

I figured one post to cover two topics would be more efficient, please let me know if this is a discouraged practice.

I have been moving my attention to the engine compartment and am noticing a number of places where wiring is exposed and I probably need to start replacing. The first crocodile that's closest to the boat is this fused wiring leading to the distributor harness. The rubber/plastic covering is flaking off and it's starting to corrode in two places. I'm looking for the best way to approach replacing/re-enforcing this wire to prevent future issues. I've been toying with the idea of replacing the distributor (possibly with a blueprinted HEI), but before I go that far I still want to make sure everything stock is in good order.

IMG_7796.jpeg.f8ccde7bf490532556b3c250b46fc537.jpeg

Second and completely separately, I replaced the solid back window with one that has a sliding glass opening. but the corners of the new seal don't fully cover the corners of the opening. I know I've seen this topic discussed here before but I can't find the posts, can anyone give me links to those previous posts, or offer up suggestions for fixing this?

IMG_7793.jpeg.00dd3200f0001943259fb38416b3d167.jpeg

IMG_7790.jpeg.2381205269edb117a5aaa04699fbd098.jpeg

(also: kindly disregard the spraypaint job... the young man I bought her from was simply guilty of being young doing his best)

before taking action on the wiring ,look into a replacement plug for the dist/ignition module.if you are going to be splicing wires then at least youy will be starting with clean contacts from there. its possible that if you find a plug that the pigtail portion will be all one color so that will be something to keep in mind when cutting and splicing.

as to the window, that is a good example of how the aftermarket parts don't fit the same. many of these trucks got fitted at the dealer with aftermarket parts but the new truck owner assumed all was factory quality. not always the case. fords slider windows were a bit different than aftermarkets. do you know which one you have? the latch can give a clue. it is the window itself that stretches the gasket to the corners.

before taking action on the wiring ,look into a replacement plug for the dist/ignition module.if you are going to be splicing wires then at least youy will be starting with clean contacts from there. its possible that if you find a plug that the pigtail portion will be all one color so that will be something to keep in mind when cutting and splicing.

as to the window, that is a good example of how the aftermarket parts don't fit the same. many of these trucks got fitted at the dealer with aftermarket parts but the new truck owner assumed all was factory quality. not always the case. fords slider windows were a bit different than aftermarkets. do you know which one you have? the latch can give a clue. it is the window itself that stretches the gasket to the corners.

Thanks Mat,

Any suggestions on where to get an after-market pig tail for that distributor? Otherwise I guess it'll be another great day at the junk yard (oh darn!). good thought on replacing the entire thing and holding off removal until then, I will absolutely follow that advice.

as for the window, I have no idea the origination of this thing. it's aluminum though and the latch was long gone (clearly riveted though) so I had to replace it. It came separate with the truck so I didn't get around to installing it until now. Based on it's age I assumed it was OEM but now I know better. I have half a mind to remove it and compare the corners with that of the glass (which is sitting in the bed for lack of a better place to put it).

Thanks Mat,

Any suggestions on where to get an after-market pig tail for that distributor? Otherwise I guess it'll be another great day at the junk yard (oh darn!). good thought on replacing the entire thing and holding off removal until then, I will absolutely follow that advice.

as for the window, I have no idea the origination of this thing. it's aluminum though and the latch was long gone (clearly riveted though) so I had to replace it. It came separate with the truck so I didn't get around to installing it until now. Based on it's age I assumed it was OEM but now I know better. I have half a mind to remove it and compare the corners with that of the glass (which is sitting in the bed for lack of a better place to put it).

this is the reason that I do not remove the flat glass on all trucks. my original had one like yours when I bought it back in 91. but when I got an oem one, it went in. but I've had many trucks with a single window, and I don't really see the need most of the time. especially if air conditioned.

as for the dist pigtail, look at lmc. 50-8609