Bullnose Forums

Tilt wheel not staying locked

So looks like I got a few bells and whistles on this one. Super happy it has tilt wheel but any time I tilt it up it will release with any decent pressure on it. Scared the hell out of me while backing up and I turned to look behind me and it dropped.

Does anyone know which part in the column I need to be looking to replace to sort this out?

Here is my video, assuming the issue is the same

Fix Tilt Steering that won't stay locked in place - 1980-1986 F150 F250 Bronco

You sir are a god send. I love that you video document this stuff. Definitely subbed. I will pull that bad boy apart tomorrow. If that's it no money to spend that's awesome.

You sir are a god send. I love that you video document this stuff. Definitely subbed. I will pull that bad boy apart tomorrow. If that's it no money to spend that's awesome.

Thank you !!

I was going to say hopefully no money to spend. Even if that dowel pin is damaged you could fab another one.

Background on the truck I was working on in this video. It was a 1 owner low mileage truck (still had the original rear brake shoes!) where the grandpa grabbed on the wheel to get in and out and that probably overstressed the tilt mechanism. There was also other stuff broken like the shift collar. I replaced more on that column than was left good to begin with, I wish I made more videos. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

It was a 1 owner low mileage truck (still had the original rear brake shoes!) where the grandpa grabbed on the wheel to get in and out and that probably overstressed the tilt mechanism.

Which is why this grandpa put a non-tilt column in Big Blue. He's tall enough that the wheel comes in very handy for pulling yourself in.

It was a 1 owner low mileage truck (still had the original rear brake shoes!) where the grandpa grabbed on the wheel to get in and out and that probably overstressed the tilt mechanism.

Which is why this grandpa put a non-tilt column in Big Blue. He's tall enough that the wheel comes in very handy for pulling yourself in.

That sounds like a lifted truck thing :nabble_smiley_wink:... just kidding. I remember Big Red, the truck was so tall in stock form I am pretty sure I did the same thing.

Did you get to the bottom of the wheel not staying locked ?

I recall another truck where the tilt locking "teeth" were chipped. I have that piece I took out of that column and I gave it to my friend to make me a "billet" piece on his CNC.... if that is what is broken it might be more involved as you will need to find that piece. Maybe a weld patch might work else need to buy that.

This is what I am talking about

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155103633779

I've been kind of watching for a non-tilt column (preferably floor shift), but it seems Ford put more tilts in than fixed. Sooner or later I'll run onto one.

I've been kind of watching for a non-tilt column (preferably floor shift), but it seems Ford put more tilts in than fixed. Sooner or later I'll run onto one.

I am always on the lookout for non-tilt ones. They are surprisingly sold cheaper than tilt ones on Facebook. People around my locality don't know yet that the non-tilt ones are better on these trucks... let's keep it that way :nabble_smiley_evil:

My 78's tilt feels surprisingly solid though.

Anyway... I've been inside several columns before... but I have honestly never been inside a non-tilt column just because I have never had to :nabble_smiley_wink:

Even the turn signal stock is a lot better built (I think)

Non-tilt

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1481894&cc=1126257&pt=4832&jsn=782

Tilt

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1481948&cc=1126257&pt=4832&jsn=783