Bullnose Forums

Camber/Castor bushing removal

Is there a "proper" way to remove the camber cast bushings?

I installed the MOOG parts last summer on Espy (82 Bronco) and the camber is +3degrees on both sides.

Finally a few days ago I pulled the passenger wheel off and tried to rotate the bushing but it would not budge so I put the wheel back on and decided to seek advice before I damage anything!

Hoping I am just missing something obvious...

you have to heat them up with a torch and then smack the housing with a hammer to jar it, the bushing is most likely corroded in place.

Before I do this however, I would check and make sure your bushing doesn't have a tang that fits into the slot, I've seen some that have them and some that don't have them. Verify this before you heat and smack the housing to get the bushing to turn you might have to pop the bushing out and replace it.

If you have to remove the bushing to replace it, youll have to break the ball joint loose, it is a taper fit between the bushing and the ball joint that is what holds it down in place. Once you get the taper broke loose it should pull out easy long as it is not also corroded into the I beam.

you have to heat them up with a torch and then smack the housing with a hammer to jar it, the bushing is most likely corroded in place.

Before I do this however, I would check and make sure your bushing doesn't have a tang that fits into the slot, I've seen some that have them and some that don't have them. Verify this before you heat and smack the housing to get the bushing to turn you might have to pop the bushing out and replace it.

If you have to remove the bushing to replace it, youll have to break the ball joint loose, it is a taper fit between the bushing and the ball joint that is what holds it down in place. Once you get the taper broke loose it should pull out easy long as it is not also corroded into the I beam.

Thanks Rusty,

They shouldn't be corroded, all looks nice and clean in there as the bushings went in last summer.

I will try some heat and a bigger hammer!

Thanks Rusty,

They shouldn't be corroded, all looks nice and clean in there as the bushings went in last summer.

I will try some heat and a bigger hammer!

the taper design is there to lock them in place by being wedged. it has to be knocked out.