Bullnose Forums

Traction Lock Clutch Shimming

No, no. I've just read that overdoing the shims can exert excessive stress on the case. I don't intend to get that carried away. I just need to see how I can shim it without a bunch of specialty tools. I'm considering adding about .015 and see how tight the drag is; if it's hard (but not impossible) to turn the carrier on an axle, then I might just run with that, and add shims if necessary (or drop to .010 if too tight). Not tight enough to chatter on corners, but tight enough to engage both axles when I need it. What is your method for setting clutch preload?

you are about right with barely being able to turn it. but we are all different in what we can turn by hand. I have never been big or strong and getting less grip with age. I like levers! depending on tire size, I don't mind it being on the verge of chatter in tight corners, but they can get loose at the first sign of moisture. I even tried a mini spool in dolly, for about two weeks. loved it then hated it. chattering in corners was just fun. fighting turning on highway was an annoyance. not bad but just enough for it to feel too tight. but when it did a 180 entering my neighborhood without even trying, I realized my wife WILL wreck eventually. now it's just an open diff and btw is my best mpg vehicle.

you are about right with barely being able to turn it. but we are all different in what we can turn by hand. I have never been big or strong and getting less grip with age. I like levers! depending on tire size, I don't mind it being on the verge of chatter in tight corners, but they can get loose at the first sign of moisture. I even tried a mini spool in dolly, for about two weeks. loved it then hated it. chattering in corners was just fun. fighting turning on highway was an annoyance. not bad but just enough for it to feel too tight. but when it did a 180 entering my neighborhood without even trying, I realized my wife WILL wreck eventually. now it's just an open diff and btw is my best mpg vehicle.

I guess I'll tighten it up but keep it towards the loose side. If nothing else it will wear clutches a little slower, but hopefully still lock up when it needs to.