Bullnose Forums

NEED SOME HELP: Please Look @ Library Table

Folks - I'm struggling to manage the pdf version of the table on the library page. But managing the Word version works pretty well.

So I'd like you to take a gander at the Library page and tell me what you think. There are two versions of the table on the page:

• First: This is the pdf version

• Second: This is the Word version

I really need to do a lot of work to the table for several reasons. First, Paul/Rockhauler has sent me two new manuals and I need to be able to add them. But I also have over 50 other Ford publications that I need to add to the table. So I need to be able to easily manage it and I'm not finding the pdf version to be easy.

Please let me know what you think of how the two work, load, etc. (But don't worry about any differences in the two, I'm only interested in how they function.)

Gary, at a first glance, I would say that these embedded PDF and embedded DOC files have similar behaviour.

Both are showing well and have functional permalinks.

Work the same way on my iMac or my iPhone 13 Mini.

Thanks, Jeff. They work that way for me as well. But I want to hear from others as well.

On a slightly different subject, we have so much documentation that I'm thinking we need to have several tabs so people don't have to scroll to find things. Like maybe:

• Advertisements & Brochures

• Annual Service Literature: Service highlights on each year, Engine Emissions Diagnosis, etc

• Other Ford Annual Publications: Includes owners manuals, dealer fact books, accessories catalogs, etc

• Ford Training Manuals: Not specific to a year, like Basic Gasoline Engines, The Effect Of Engine Design On Emissions & Performance, Overhauling Diesel Engines, etc.

Or I could put pages w/in the library with those tabs on each page.

Thoughts, y'all?

Gary, at a first glance, I would say that these embedded PDF and embedded DOC files have similar behaviour.

Both are showing well and have functional permalinks.

Work the same way on my iMac or my iPhone 13 Mini.

I find the Word version loads slower but once loaded both look the same. I'm on windows 10 PC and my computer is a dinosaur in the real world Think my computer is circa 2008 or close to that, anyways I can live with either format.

Paul

I find the Word version loads slower but once loaded both look the same. I'm on windows 10 PC and my computer is a dinosaur in the real world Think my computer is circa 2008 or close to that, anyways I can live with either format.

Paul

Thanks, Paul. If I break it up by either tabs or pages the files should be small enough to load faster.

Thanks, Paul. If I break it up by either tabs or pages the files should be small enough to load faster.

For me its more the file that loads slower not the page, but like I said its likely do in part to my old computer and my rural internet connection. Hopefully once the forum gets migrated to the new platform some of these issues will become less of a issue. But really if the file does load within a reasonable time I'm willing to wait for it.

As for more tabs or not, good luck no matter how your try to simplify how the files are organized you will find files that end up in a gray area. I tried organizing my photography files but in the end never found any system that really made things simple.

Paul

Ok, whatever you do at the moment do NOT go look. I've done something W.R.O.N.G. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Ok, here's the status - all messed up!

I've added pages below Library, but you can still click on Library. On there you'll see tabs for the 5 different types of literature. Or you can hover over Library, on some devices, and then click on one of the 5 links with a page for each of the types of literature.

BUT, Microsoft is not playing nicely at the moment and while I can see all of the stuff on the tabs save for Training Manuals, with Safari my iPhone, I can only see Other Annual and Other Pubs on the tabs with Chrome on Windows. And other browsers give similar results. But none show the Training Manuals.

Gotta go to a meeting at church right now, but maybe in the morning I can sort this out.

Ok, here's the status - all messed up!

I've added pages below Library, but you can still click on Library. On there you'll see tabs for the 5 different types of literature. Or you can hover over Library, on some devices, and then click on one of the 5 links with a page for each of the types of literature.

BUT, Microsoft is not playing nicely at the moment and while I can see all of the stuff on the tabs save for Training Manuals, with Safari my iPhone, I can only see Other Annual and Other Pubs on the tabs with Chrome on Windows. And other browsers give similar results. But none show the Training Manuals.

Gotta go to a meeting at church right now, but maybe in the morning I can sort this out.

Gary for now I'd suggest putting it back the way it was and allow the migration to happen then look at dealing with the bugs that will come from making the move. Once that is running smoothly then come back and tackle the organizing / updating and format of the documentation.

Remember rule one keep it simple.

Paul

Gary for now I'd suggest putting it back the way it was and allow the migration to happen then look at dealing with the bugs that will come from making the move. Once that is running smoothly then come back and tackle the organizing / updating and format of the documentation.

Remember rule one keep it simple.

Paul

Microsoft is NOT cooperating. So I tried Google Drive, and it's no fun either. So I think I'm going to create the pages using Weebly. I've done some playing with it on this page: https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/ford-training-manuals.html. Obviously the 2nd attempt is a bit slicker, and it should load immediately. I'll work on it a bit in the morning and we'll see what we think.