Bullnose Forums

C6 to E4OD swap

I was thinking you might want to follow up on Tuner Pro with him, it might be easier for him to learn. I will be sending him an 80mm MAF (correct size for 302/351 applications) and an EEC-V from an E250 351 and E4OD. It will probably start up and run for him but will set some codes. His 347ci is close enough to 351ci for it to at least start and run so he will have that satisfaction immediately.

Ok. That all sounds very good. I'm a bit experienced in programming...I've worked some years as database programmer with Microsoft Visual Basic and later with C++ for programming microcontrollers made by Cypress. So I'm not completely new to this.

I'll decided to place the ECU and the ODB-port were originally the glove compartment is located.

I won't get my "electrical center" here in, cause of too less space. But the space will be fairly enough to place the ECU here.

Thanks again to you both for your excellent support!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking you might want to follow up on Tuner Pro with him, it might be easier for him to learn. I will be sending him an 80mm MAF (correct size for 302/351 applications) and an EEC-V from an E250 351 and E4OD. It will probably start up and run for him but will set some codes. His 347ci is close enough to 351ci for it to at least start and run so he will have that satisfaction immediately.

Sorry, but I chose not to go with Tuner Pro for my own stuff because I've already invested enough, both time and money, on Binary Editor. So I'll stay out of the loop here and just monitor. Y'all go on with what you are doing and I'll work with Steve/FoxFord33 when the time comes - with Binary Editor.

Ok. That all sounds very good. I'm a bit experienced in programming...I've worked some years as database programmer with Microsoft Visual Basic and later with C++ for programming microcontrollers made by Cypress. So I'm not completely new to this.

I'll decided to place the ECU and the ODB-port were originally the glove compartment is located.

I won't get my "electrical center" here in, cause of too less space. But the space will be fairly enough to place the ECU here.

Thanks again to you both for your excellent support!

I cam across a site the other day that converts the E4OD to a mechanical in lieu of electronic shift. Let me see if I can find it.

I cam across a site the other day that converts the E4OD to a mechanical in lieu of electronic shift. Let me see if I can find it.

Here it is Performance Automatic

I lied it's a 4R70W made for the 429- 460

"the PA45103 is sporting a new custom designed steel SFI Pro Fit Bellhousing (PA45500) which will accept all torque converter configurations and an OEM style starter and flexplate. The PA45103 4R70W Super Comp Trans has our full manual transbrake with valve body with manual lock up and overdrive controls, no transmission controller required."

Here it is Performance Automatic

I lied it's a 4R70W made for the 429- 460

"the PA45103 is sporting a new custom designed steel SFI Pro Fit Bellhousing (PA45500) which will accept all torque converter configurations and an OEM style starter and flexplate. The PA45103 4R70W Super Comp Trans has our full manual transbrake with valve body with manual lock up and overdrive controls, no transmission controller required."

Danny, 4R70/75 transmissions are still computer controlled. They have two shift solenoids and a converter lockup clutch solenoid. I do know that they have been used behind the 5.4l mod motors in E250s.

It reads like they have built a full hydraulic control system possibly by going back to it's roots, the AOD. Now if someone did that for the E4OD, then it would work with a carbureted engine.

Danny, 4R70/75 transmissions are still computer controlled. They have two shift solenoids and a converter lockup clutch solenoid. I do know that they have been used behind the 5.4l mod motors in E250s.

It reads like they have built a full hydraulic control system possibly by going back to it's roots, the AOD. Now if someone did that for the E4OD, then it would work with a carbureted engine.

Regarding the EEC-V is it necessary or useful to change the ICM?

Are there other sensors that should or has to be changed

Regarding the EEC-V is it necessary or useful to change the ICM?

Are there other sensors that should or has to be changed

Rene', the ICM changed in 1994, it orignally received a signal from the starting circuit to "push" (increase) the dwell for a hotter cranking spark. The newer ICMS (black vs. gray) used a computer controlled dwell (time the coil is charging) that gets the same result, but is also flexible to change it as needed. The differnce is one wire at the ICM plug. They are made in both distrbutor and remote mount versions.

compare_TFIs.thumb.jpg.2d0332c33c05c68f7f040d653ce67578.jpg

Rene', the ICM changed in 1994, it orignally received a signal from the starting circuit to "push" (increase) the dwell for a hotter cranking spark. The newer ICMS (black vs. gray) used a computer controlled dwell (time the coil is charging) that gets the same result, but is also flexible to change it as needed. The differnce is one wire at the ICM plug. They are made in both distrbutor and remote mount versions.

bill that is an explanation of the icm that I did not know, nor have I ever heard any real answers about the differences before. this brings to mind another question. I have a 93 flareside,"dolly" that had a black box when I saved the truck and I drove it for a good year with it. when I built the next engine for it, I may have pushed on it a time or two. haha. this had a habit of what seemed to be valve float at 3750 rpm and it drove me batty. however, the engine ran extremely well to that point. not being satisfied I took another 5.0 that I was building and swapped them. this was my intended build not just a test. yet the rpm "limiting" stayed. then I swapped the icm with a gray unit as a test and voila, pulls like a beast well past 5500 and its me who shifts. I have not been able to discern a difference before other than I know there is one, so I pay attention to part numbers. in my mind it just says that the pip is set to limit a six at 5k vs an eight but that is just an assumption.

not to sidetrack the thread but maybe point out another possible difference seeing as rene is NOT building stock either. haha

Hi Bill,

is this the correct extension for my transfer case?

Link