Bullnose Forums

C6 to E4OD swap

Hi, I have talked about this plan in the past.

I've also read about this here in the forum.

But I do not 100% understand what I do essentially need for the swap.

Currently I have a 1986 302/347 with C6 and the Borg Warner tranny on it.

One of the former owners has changed the stock AOD to the C6 for some reason.

I can get a used 1991 E4OD, which works well, if I believe the seller. 850 euro.

What else is needed?

Hardware:

A4OD

EEC-V

Where can I get the linkages?

New propeller shafts?

More Hardware?

Work:

Am I able to change it with the engine inside?

I have read that the mounting holes have to be adapted.

What do I have else to change regarding the EEC-V?

I will determine, what I have to invest in total regarding the hardware and also the afford for me to change it.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know anything about mounting holes being different, an appropriate E4OD bolts directly to a small block (302/351) or a 4.9l (300 straight 6). I say "appropriate" because E4OD's do not have removable bell housings, and came in 4 different engine bolt patterns. So you have to make sure the one you buy is for a small block.

Swapping to a different EEC might be full of unknown pitfalls, especially since your engine's displacement has been modified. Keeping your existing engine management computer and adding a separate transmission control computer might be the path of least resistance.

As far as what is physically necessary, you might need a different transmission crossmember, and you will definitely need to have your driveshaft shortened. If you have 4wd then the transfer case and the side gas tank might want to occupy the same space, mine interfered. Although it was actually the electric motor on the transfer case, if yours is lever actuated you will probably be fine. But something to watch out for.

The gear selector input to the E4OD is reversed from the C6. I got around this by mounting the selection lever on the transmission upside-down. You will need to create a hybrid shift rod at the transmission, with the E4OD side connecting to the E4OD and the C6 side connecting to the truck.

You can definitely change the trans without having to remove the engine.

Good luck!

Rene', first the E4OD is only 6" longer than the C6 (at least on the 2WD version), but the mount pad location is 9" further back. I also seem to recall that the cross member is different, but that may have been due to the 460's exhaust system (dual 2.5" OD pipes all the way over the cross member).

On a 4WD you will need the transfer case adapter and the proper output shaft on the transmission and a shorter rear and longer front driveshafts. Shift linkage, up through 1991 (I think was the cutoff) the E4OD had a linkage shifter like a C6 and I think has the same number of positions, just the forward gears are OD 2 1 and there would be an OD lockout switch on the dash. 1992 or 1993 when Ford changed the dash and steering column completely, the shifter system became a cable and the OD lockout switch was moved to the end of the shifter.

On the controls, EEC-V does allow you to change things (like you would do with a non-computer system) but through the software. All parameters are adjustable both engine and transmission.

Rene', first the E4OD is only 6" longer than the C6 (at least on the 2WD version), but the mount pad location is 9" further back. I also seem to recall that the cross member is different, but that may have been due to the 460's exhaust system (dual 2.5" OD pipes all the way over the cross member).

On a 4WD you will need the transfer case adapter and the proper output shaft on the transmission and a shorter rear and longer front driveshafts. Shift linkage, up through 1991 (I think was the cutoff) the E4OD had a linkage shifter like a C6 and I think has the same number of positions, just the forward gears are OD 2 1 and there would be an OD lockout switch on the dash. 1992 or 1993 when Ford changed the dash and steering column completely, the shifter system became a cable and the OD lockout switch was moved to the end of the shifter.

On the controls, EEC-V does allow you to change things (like you would do with a non-computer system) but through the software. All parameters are adjustable both engine and transmission.

Is the E4OD from a 4WD? If not you'll need to completely disassemble it to change the output shaft and tail housing. Or better yet, pass on that trans and get a 4WD version.

Is the E4OD from a 4WD? If not you'll need to completely disassemble it to change the output shaft and tail housing. Or better yet, pass on that trans and get a 4WD version.

Ok. That's such a important question, I have to ask the seller! Thanks!

Hi Bill,

OK. My exhaust could be also a Problem. I have to check.

So I also need two new driveshafts…ok…

Regarding the EEC-V:

That sounds good. So I can change the things when I have time for it.

SEFI re-wiring, Installation of MAF, etc…

Also if I’m not an expert in E4OD, this images look like it is a 2WD-Version…

00675752-a3f6-4d0d-a803-64a44c6af876.jpg.c3a903d097d60dfc00ab52b119614c4d.jpg

039ca2a2-6088-4bff-9d45-94671a77c559.thumb.jpg.0f8d372ed3d5b9c0fdbd01d420819605.jpg

a0988679-6aad-43ec-8190-cc6557fdd03f.jpg.00a989b653cba915eede5966895eeadb.jpg

I don't know anything about mounting holes being different, an appropriate E4OD bolts directly to a small block (302/351) or a 4.9l (300 straight 6). I say "appropriate" because E4OD's do not have removable bell housings, and came in 4 different engine bolt patterns. So you have to make sure the one you buy is for a small block.

Swapping to a different EEC might be full of unknown pitfalls, especially since your engine's displacement has been modified. Keeping your existing engine management computer and adding a separate transmission control computer might be the path of least resistance.

As far as what is physically necessary, you might need a different transmission crossmember, and you will definitely need to have your driveshaft shortened. If you have 4wd then the transfer case and the side gas tank might want to occupy the same space, mine interfered. Although it was actually the electric motor on the transfer case, if yours is lever actuated you will probably be fine. But something to watch out for.

The gear selector input to the E4OD is reversed from the C6. I got around this by mounting the selection lever on the transmission upside-down. You will need to create a hybrid shift rod at the transmission, with the E4OD side connecting to the E4OD and the C6 side connecting to the truck.

You can definitely change the trans without having to remove the engine.

Good luck!

Ok. Thanks for your help.

I also asked the seller, on which engine the E4OD was mounted.

I don't have a side gas tank and I have a lever actuated tranny.

Unfortunately the seller confirmed me some minutes ago, that this is a 2WD-Version...

So, I'll stay with my eyes open for one that will fit...

Ok. Thanks for your help.

I also asked the seller, on which engine the E4OD was mounted.

I don't have a side gas tank and I have a lever actuated tranny.

Unfortunately the seller confirmed me some minutes ago, that this is a 2WD-Version...

So, I'll stay with my eyes open for one that will fit...

The E4OD does require a specific crossmember that actually bolts to the outside of the frame on the passenger side. I can find pics if needed.

And on the regular cab pickups it moves the transfer case so far back that it hits the floor. Don’t know if it would hit the Bronco’s floor, but it is something to consider.

The E4OD does require a specific crossmember that actually bolts to the outside of the frame on the passenger side. I can find pics if needed.

And on the regular cab pickups it moves the transfer case so far back that it hits the floor. Don’t know if it would hit the Bronco’s floor, but it is something to consider.

Hmm...I've seen it in one of your threads about the conversion of Dad's.

If it fits to a F150, it should fit to a bronco, too, I think..

But if the E4OD is only 6" longer than the C6...there should be more than enough space in my opinion...or better, I hope so...:nabble_smiley_sleep:

Hmm...I've seen it in one of your threads about the conversion of Dad's.

If it fits to a F150, it should fit to a bronco, too, I think..

But if the E4OD is only 6" longer than the C6...there should be more than enough space in my opinion...or better, I hope so...:nabble_smiley_sleep:

Rene' I just looked at my parts and labor section on AllData, specifically the output shafts and extension housings on the E4OD 2WD vs 4WD models (I used the 1996 351 version as the model).

2WD:

Output shaft - F4TZ-7A130-B

Extension housing - F85Z-7A039-DA

4WD:

Output shaft - F4TZ-7A130-B

Extension housing - F81Z-7A039-A

It looks like if you can find a 351 case E4OD, either 2 or 4WD, it looks like all you would need to make it 4WD would be the extension housing which is where the transfer case attaches.