Bullnose Forums

Year-To-Year Differences?

...maybe an engine controls (some of which is weight related). This is more applicable to engines like the 300 and 302, and some 351s. The weight class and location sold influenced a lot of that.

Then there were also the engine changes that had nothing to do with the Bullnose, like the switch to 1pc rear main seal, or the 28 to 50oz flywheel on the 302, etc, etc. That stuff would just clutter things up though...and while they happened during the Bullnose era, they weren't specific to them.

I think that this would be a fabulous addition to this site!

I like the way you set up the test page. Not sure how to get around the 6 tab limitation. The way you have it laid out would let me do the research that I would be interested in - how does my model year differ from the surrounding years (looking at parts interchangeability). If each model year stood on it's own, this comparison would be very difficult.

I'm assuming that you'll be able to accommodate mid year changes. I know that in 85 there was a change in the exhaust system in Feb '85 for F350 w/ 460 w/ auto tranny & crew cab.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that this would be a fabulous addition to this site!

I like the way you set up the test page. Not sure how to get around the 6 tab limitation. The way you have it laid out would let me do the research that I would be interested in - how does my model year differ from the surrounding years (looking at parts interchangeability). If each model year stood on it's own, this comparison would be very difficult.

I'm assuming that you'll be able to accommodate mid year changes. I know that in 85 there was a change in the exhaust system in Feb '85 for F350 w/ 460 w/ auto tranny & crew cab.

The information I have shows the exhaust changed sometime in 1984 (per Walker's website). I know the system on Darth is still original from the muffler inlet area through the tailpipe.

The information I have shows the exhaust changed sometime in 1984 (per Walker's website). I know the system on Darth is still original from the muffler inlet area through the tailpipe.

I've gotten it down to 5 tabs: Body/Exterior/Interior; Engine & Driveline; Electrical; Fuel Systems; HVAC. Does that make sense to you? Am I forgetting anything?

And I added a placeholder in Engine & Driveline on the exhaust. Is that the right place?

Also, I can accommodate mid-year changes. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I've gotten it down to 5 tabs: Body/Exterior/Interior; Engine & Driveline; Electrical; Fuel Systems; HVAC. Does that make sense to you? Am I forgetting anything?

And I added a placeholder in Engine & Driveline on the exhaust. Is that the right place?

Also, I can accommodate mid-year changes. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Looking good Gary. I like it.

Some changes I've always been kind of curious about, and are not really all that clear to me, are the kingpin front ends. They went from forged beams to steel beams and then back or something like that? Before switching over to the balljoints in when, 1983? And, when were the trucks available with manual steering and brakes? Was that only in 1980? I've never seen one without the power options. That would seem like a rare truck to me these days.

Something else, I guess more pertinent to me, is the Flareside bed wood floor. It has always been my understanding that the bed wood was actually boards (7 individual boards, and 6 metal strips) up to around 1982? Then, in 1983 switched to the 3pc plywood floor, with the 5 metal strips (2 of which actually covered gaps, and 3 that were on top of the wood). Is this correct? I've never seen anything official on this, and the only Ford parts diagram I've ever seen for the 1980-1987 Flareside bed, shows individual boards, which leads me to believe it was a copy and paste (so to speak) from the Dentside era? However, I know the floors were 3pc plywood, at least they were on the later Bullnoses...and maybe it was plywood on all of them from 80-87?

By the way, that leads me to another question...and possibly a dumb one at that, but these beds with the wood floors were pretty standard stuff for several decades. If I walked into a Ford dealer lets say in 1984, could I have ordered new floor boards/plywood that was pre-cut and drilled to fit? Does the wood show up in the Ford parts books?

I'm rambling...I know...

Some changes I've always been kind of curious about, and are not really all that clear to me, are the kingpin front ends. They went from forged beams to steel beams and then back or something like that? Before switching over to the balljoints in when, 1983? And, when were the trucks available with manual steering and brakes? Was that only in 1980? I've never seen one without the power options. That would seem like a rare truck to me these days.

Something else, I guess more pertinent to me, is the Flareside bed wood floor. It has always been my understanding that the bed wood was actually boards (7 individual boards, and 6 metal strips) up to around 1982? Then, in 1983 switched to the 3pc plywood floor, with the 5 metal strips (2 of which actually covered gaps, and 3 that were on top of the wood). Is this correct? I've never seen anything official on this, and the only Ford parts diagram I've ever seen for the 1980-1987 Flareside bed, shows individual boards, which leads me to believe it was a copy and paste (so to speak) from the Dentside era? However, I know the floors were 3pc plywood, at least they were on the later Bullnoses...and maybe it was plywood on all of them from 80-87?

By the way, that leads me to another question...and possibly a dumb one at that, but these beds with the wood floors were pretty standard stuff for several decades. If I walked into a Ford dealer lets say in 1984, could I have ordered new floor boards/plywood that was pre-cut and drilled to fit? Does the wood show up in the Ford parts books?

I'm rambling...I know...

FWIW, I don't know on the HD F250s, but the F350s still had forged I-beams and king pins in 1986 and properly lubricated, Darth's are still good 32 years and 146,000 miles later

I'm rambling...I know...

Well, those are good questions. But, bless your heart, they raised many, many more. :nabble_smiley_uh:

Seriously, those questions pointed out to me that our page on Exterior/Bed, Tailgates, & Components didn't have any part numbers for beds. So I've added the numbers for the boards/plywood and the strips. And, you were right about the # of boards and strips, so I added that info to the Year-To-Year Differences page.

And along the way I found the info on the Flareside and DRW rear fenders, and discovered that the fenders prior to 10/81 were said to be fiberglass. Were the later ones steel?

Anyway, please go look at the YTY page and see what you think. And notice that I added a hot link to Beds, which takes you to the page on Bed, Tailgates, & Components so you can see the different part numbers. My thinking is that links all over the YTY page like that would help people see the source of the info we are presenting.

Thoughts, please.

Well, those are good questions. But, bless your heart, they raised many, many more. :nabble_smiley_uh:

Seriously, those questions pointed out to me that our page on Exterior/Bed, Tailgates, & Components didn't have any part numbers for beds. So I've added the numbers for the boards/plywood and the strips. And, you were right about the # of boards and strips, so I added that info to the Year-To-Year Differences page.

And along the way I found the info on the Flareside and DRW rear fenders, and discovered that the fenders prior to 10/81 were said to be fiberglass. Were the later ones steel?

Anyway, please go look at the YTY page and see what you think. And notice that I added a hot link to Beds, which takes you to the page on Bed, Tailgates, & Components so you can see the different part numbers. My thinking is that links all over the YTY page like that would help people see the source of the info we are presenting.

Thoughts, please.

The part numbers for the Flareside bed parts is a great addition Gary, thanks!

I saw a comment on Facebook the other day that a guy with a Flareside confirmed that his 1982 had the plywood bed floor, so it makes sense now seeing when the cut off date was. Not sure when Ford's next year production started, but it sounds like a few 82's were built after the floor change.

The part numbers for the Flareside bed parts is a great addition Gary, thanks!

I saw a comment on Facebook the other day that a guy with a Flareside confirmed that his 1982 had the plywood bed floor, so it makes sense now seeing when the cut off date was. Not sure when Ford's next year production started, but it sounds like a few 82's were built after the floor change.

In the electrical, the brochure says lights on/door buzzer changed to a chime on XLT, XLT Lariat in 1986, in the 1986 brochure.

Mine has a build date of 02/86, it's a XLT Lariat and it has a buzzer. Could be somebody changed it to a buzzer, but that seems kind of unlikely.

In the electrical, the brochure says lights on/door buzzer changed to a chime on XLT, XLT Lariat in 1986, in the 1986 brochure.

Mine has a build date of 02/86, it's a XLT Lariat and it has a buzzer. Could be somebody changed it to a buzzer, but that seems kind of unlikely.

First, please take a look at the Engine & Driveline tab on Year-To-Year Differences page. I've gotten a start on the engine availability table - and what a headache that is! :nabble_anim_crazy:

I started using brochures, and realized that the dealer fact books have MUCH more detail. So I spent quite a bit of time working through the three I have - '81, '2, & '3. I think I got them translated correctly, but I need y'all to see if you can understand it. PLEASE!

And, along the way I learned something that has been a long-lasting "discussion point". Turns out the 351W was introduced in the pickups and Broncos in California in '81, but only on the light-duty trucks below 8500# GVWR. Over 8500# in CA the 351M was used. And, in '81 the 351M was available in 49-State applications from the F150 through the F350, except for the short-bed regular-cab truck.

Anyway, please take a look at the table and see if it works for you. If not, what needs to change. I don't want to go further until I know this works. And, in order for this to really be accurate I'll have to find the other dealer facts books. (Calling David!)

Grumpin - I'll try to run the chime/buzzer thing to ground in a bit.

Bill - The kingpin thing may have to wait a while as I KNOW that's complex.

All - I'll try to capture the thoughts/ideas on that page and then get back to it as I can to run them to ground. So keep those cards and letters coming in!

First, please take a look at the Engine & Driveline tab on Year-To-Year Differences page. I've gotten a start on the engine availability table - and what a headache that is! :nabble_anim_crazy:

I started using brochures, and realized that the dealer fact books have MUCH more detail. So I spent quite a bit of time working through the three I have - '81, '2, & '3. I think I got them translated correctly, but I need y'all to see if you can understand it. PLEASE!

And, along the way I learned something that has been a long-lasting "discussion point". Turns out the 351W was introduced in the pickups and Broncos in California in '81, but only on the light-duty trucks below 8500# GVWR. Over 8500# in CA the 351M was used. And, in '81 the 351M was available in 49-State applications from the F150 through the F350, except for the short-bed regular-cab truck.

Anyway, please take a look at the table and see if it works for you. If not, what needs to change. I don't want to go further until I know this works. And, in order for this to really be accurate I'll have to find the other dealer facts books. (Calling David!)

Grumpin - I'll try to run the chime/buzzer thing to ground in a bit.

Bill - The kingpin thing may have to wait a while as I KNOW that's complex.

All - I'll try to capture the thoughts/ideas on that page and then get back to it as I can to run them to ground. So keep those cards and letters coming in!

Gary, FWIW, the 1990 HD F250 donor vehicle had forged I-beams and ball joints. I discovered that looking for some other pictures today.

Engines/Drivelines looks good so far. Owners manuals may help on some of that as I believe Darth's notes certain packages, like a 6 cyl in the crew cab, but the base engine for the DRW was a 351 in 1986.

Walker's exhaust catalog shows you as correct, single pipe until 2-85, after that the dual inlets run through 1987.