Bullnose Forums

Clark OD transmission guidance.

My secondary pick I am going to look at this weekend is a straight 6 backed by a NP435. He has the transmission out because it needed to be rebuilt and now needs to get it back in and seems to be struggling with it. Had a kid and selling as is.

For the experienced here, is there anything I should pay attention to or be aware of and any guidance on getting this guy back in? For such a small transmission I can't imagine it is too terribly difficult.

If the shift lever is removed (or if you plan to remove it to mount the transmission), be sure to Google the remove and re-install. The push down and twist takes a lot of effort and if twisted without pushing down hard enough the locking flanges can get bent/damaged. The Borg Warner threaded cap is a better design in my opinion.

If the shift lever is removed (or if you plan to remove it to mount the transmission), be sure to Google the remove and re-install. The push down and twist takes a lot of effort and if twisted without pushing down hard enough the locking flanges can get bent/damaged. The Borg Warner threaded cap is a better design in my opinion.

Looks like it's actually a Clark Overdrive transmission now that I got the sticker decoded.

The NP has a separate bell housing so you can put them in one at a time, making it easier. But it is a fairly hefty tranny for it size. Still, it is a lot easier than a ZF5.

Hey Gary is the Clark going to be covered by that TOD guide? Kinda struggling on a model number as I don't have it in hand outside the door code. I don't want to go drop money on this guy if this trans is going to be a show stopper.

Hey Gary is the Clark going to be covered by that TOD guide? Kinda struggling on a model number as I don't have it in hand outside the door code. I don't want to go drop money on this guy if this trans is going to be a show stopper.

I can't answer that question as I'm not aufait with those transmissions. But I think Cory/Rembrant is so let's tag him.

I can't answer that question as I'm not aufait with those transmissions. But I think Cory/Rembrant is so let's tag him.

I’m mildly familiar with them. The TOD would an aluminum trans from 1984-1986, and it has a top mounted shifter like the more modern M5OD and ZF5. As far as 4spd OD transmissions go, it’s the best f the bunch in my opinion. There were at least 3 different ones in the Bullnoses.

Three overdrive 4 speeds were used…

SMOD- (side mounted od) cast iron case, shift rails outside of the case on the driver side. Two different gear ratio versions depending on which engine it came with. 1978-1984

SROD- (single rail od) aluminum case, shifter mounted on an extension housing. Have to “push” lever down to engage reverse. 1980-1983

TOD- (top mounted od) aluminum case, lever on top of gear box. 1984/1985.

These are all light duty transmissions, but offer overdrive. If you are not hauling heavy this can be a benefit. The SROD does not have a very good reputation, but condition and intended use matter more than the model. Unfortunately you cannot drive it to see how it shifts, but if it’s freshly rebuilt one would hope it was done correctly and be ready for some more miles…

https://www.f150hub.com/trans/t170-smod-srod-tod.html

Three overdrive 4 speeds were used…

SMOD- (side mounted od) cast iron case, shift rails outside of the case on the driver side. Two different gear ratio versions depending on which engine it came with. 1978-1984

SROD- (single rail od) aluminum case, shifter mounted on an extension housing. Have to “push” lever down to engage reverse. 1980-1983

TOD- (top mounted od) aluminum case, lever on top of gear box. 1984/1985.

These are all light duty transmissions, but offer overdrive. If you are not hauling heavy this can be a benefit. The SROD does not have a very good reputation, but condition and intended use matter more than the model. Unfortunately you cannot drive it to see how it shifts, but if it’s freshly rebuilt one would hope it was done correctly and be ready for some more miles…

https://www.f150hub.com/trans/t170-smod-srod-tod.html

Thanks for all the info. Looks like the parts for these range from not available to "what are you talking about". So I'm gonna have to pass on this truck, no wonder the current owner is having a hard time. Seems it would be best to order another compatible manual transmission to put in there that has more availability.