Bullnose Forums

Backfiring Issues

Ok you are good then 👍

let's just say that the 460 is a workhorse. cubic inches, stroke, heft, all of what is needed to pull a 1 ton and even a fair-sized dump truck, loaded. an air pump should NOT be the item to load the engine enough to kill mpg.

as to removing all "emissions crap", that's a debate to be opened up at a different time. basically, the engine needs fuel, air and compression to be able to run when told to do so. that's it. the ignition source is doing the telling. get these areas correct and you can have a great running truck. that is not to say that many of the add Ons are without merit. egr can extend an engines life a lot. Vacuum operated timing controls can make the engine work better across wider temps. better starting. some of these add-ons are added as a system and need to be deleted as a system. deleting part may have unwanted results like backfire. I'm not a purist at all and have "tuned" many and resurrect dead trucks regularly. many if not most have pieces missing so I back up to the basics to prove the engine before deciding whether to put stuff back or not.

let's just say that the 460 is a workhorse. cubic inches, stroke, heft, all of what is needed to pull a 1 ton and even a fair-sized dump truck, loaded. an air pump should NOT be the item to load the engine enough to kill mpg.

as to removing all "emissions crap", that's a debate to be opened up at a different time. basically, the engine needs fuel, air and compression to be able to run when told to do so. that's it. the ignition source is doing the telling. get these areas correct and you can have a great running truck. that is not to say that many of the add Ons are without merit. egr can extend an engines life a lot. Vacuum operated timing controls can make the engine work better across wider temps. better starting. some of these add-ons are added as a system and need to be deleted as a system. deleting part may have unwanted results like backfire. I'm not a purist at all and have "tuned" many and resurrect dead trucks regularly. many if not most have pieces missing so I back up to the basics to prove the engine before deciding whether to put stuff back or not.

The parasitic draw off a AC compressor is real though, correct? After I installed the AC compressor, the idle dropped nearly 200 RPM!!

The parasitic draw off a AC compressor is real though, correct? After I installed the AC compressor, the idle dropped nearly 200 RPM!!

On a 460????

I can't tell when Big Blue's compressor comes in save for the sound if the hood is open. I have the 1990+ FS10 compressor vs the FS6 that came on the truck, but that's a bigger compressor so should present more load.

On a 460????

I can't tell when Big Blue's compressor comes in save for the sound if the hood is open. I have the 1990+ FS10 compressor vs the FS6 that came on the truck, but that's a bigger compressor so should present more load.

Gary, the EEC-V system detects the load and compensates. If you log the engine data, you will see the (a) slight drop in rpm as the load comes on and (b) the IAC opening more to compensate for the change. If you listen carefully you will here a change in the exhaust sound as the IAC feeds more air.

Darth's idle speed would drop when he was still carbureted.

Gary, the EEC-V system detects the load and compensates. If you log the engine data, you will see the (a) slight drop in rpm as the load comes on and (b) the IAC opening more to compensate for the change. If you listen carefully you will here a change in the exhaust sound as the IAC feeds more air.

Darth's idle speed would drop when he was still carbureted.

Yes, I have the EEC monitoring the A/C clutch. But I've watched and there is very little change to any of the parameters. Haven't tried listening to the exhaust note though.

On a 460????

Is it because you are a free-wheelin cool manual transmission operator ? When I had "Big Red", I couldn't tell when the AC came on.. it may have been a 50rpm drop at best.. but on all the auto trans trucks, be it 302 or a 460, it has been a drag at idle. I'm definitely missing the high-idle dashpot on the stock carb that compensates for this drag... anyway. I just turned up the idle to compensate for this.

Yes, I have the EEC monitoring the A/C clutch. But I've watched and there is very little change to any of the parameters. Haven't tried listening to the exhaust note though.

I thought you were running a "double stack" Duraspark-2 ?? What does this EEC-V do ? I assume it replaces the duraspark and was necessary for the fuel injection upgrade ? I looked up those ECMs. They are pricey!!!

I thought you were running a "double stack" Duraspark-2 ?? What does this EEC-V do ? I assume it replaces the duraspark and was necessary for the fuel injection upgrade ? I looked up those ECMs. They are pricey!!!

Yes, the EEC-V system replaced the DS-II. Both Bill and I are running 1996 California-spec systems as CA is the only one that had EEC-V with MAF & SEFI. All other states got EEC-IV with speed density and bank fire.

The beauty of EEC-V is that it is programmable via the OBD-II port. We used Binary Editor to set ours up. In his case he has it controlling the E4OD. In mine I have the ZF5 but I turned off EGR and all other similar systems.