Bullnose Forums

Nice condition - 1985 Ford F-250 XLT HD 6.9idi Diesel - $2850 ocala florida location

It is nice, and that’s a decent price if it doesn’t have rust.

Did you notice the side molding trim, Gary?

I did, and scrolled back up to see if it is an '84 or '85. 'Tis an '85, and we know it is an early one at that. :nabble_smiley_wink:

On that type of subject, meaning being able to spot some of the differences, Brandon/Bruno2 recently asked the question on Facebook how to tell yearly differences w/o looking at the certification label or VIN. And then he sent me a text suggesting I join the discussion because "the people that don't have high reading comprehension skills are coming out of the woodwork". Boy, was he right, with some people saying you can't tell an '82 from an '86, or anything in between. And others having equally-wrong guesses, like burled wood started in '84.

My response was:

Ok Brandon, I'm here. Had Prashant come by from Atlanta. Driving his '86 460 with a Harley in the back. On his way to CO.

Anyway, it is difficult to spot the differences. One clue is the trim - there was an unusual trim used in late '84 and early '85 that is a giveaway. In fact, there was an early '85 at the show (which you didn't come to) and I asked the guy if it was early '85 - and he dropped his teeth. You can see the trim on the early '85 catalog and not on the late '85 catalog here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/1985-literature.html

Another is the slide locks, which were used in '80 and part of '81. And there were the clear vs amber turn signals, both of which are discussed here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/door-locks.html

Another is the trim line, like the Lariat, which didn't exist in '83 and '4, as discussed here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/bullnose-faqs.html.

Then there was the swiss cheese frame in '80 and '81. And the Rosewood trim from '80 through '85 and Burledwood in '85 and '6.

Should I go on? 🤔

But Brandon then asked how the gentleman at the FORDification show knew that Big Blue is an '85 by just seeing it drive by. And, to tell the truth I don't yet know. But I suspect that the Light Regatta Blue/Bright Regatta Blue combo of colors wasn't available in other years. So far that looks to be the case, but I don't have an '86 brochure so can't tell for sure. However, I should be able to tell on Saturday. :nabble_smiley_wink:

On that type of subject, meaning being able to spot some of the differences, Brandon/Bruno2 recently asked the question on Facebook how to tell yearly differences w/o looking at the certification label or VIN. And then he sent me a text suggesting I join the discussion because "the people that don't have high reading comprehension skills are coming out of the woodwork". Boy, was he right, with some people saying you can't tell an '82 from an '86, or anything in between. And others having equally-wrong guesses, like burled wood started in '84.

I was watching that one. I don't know if its that they came out of the woodwork, or if they were already there in plain sight all along...lol.

I don't know all of the exterior colors and dash/trim options, but I do try to use other little clues when looking for stuff online. If you get a picture of an interior, the radio will quickly tell you if a truck is an 85-86 Bullnose. If you're looking at engine bay pics, the hydraulic clutch master is another quick indicator that a truck is not an early one. Seeing the rear diff would be another clue, at least for the 1/2 ton trucks (9" or 8.8).

The only exterior visual comment I had to offer was the front fender lettering....and I'm not even sure when exactly that changed. 1982? 1983? The F150 on my 1984 front fender has the long F, and I know that the earlier trucks it was shorter...but I don't know when that change took place.

I was watching that one. I don't know if its that they came out of the woodwork, or if they were already there in plain sight all along...lol.

I don't know all of the exterior colors and dash/trim options, but I do try to use other little clues when looking for stuff online. If you get a picture of an interior, the radio will quickly tell you if a truck is an 85-86 Bullnose. If you're looking at engine bay pics, the hydraulic clutch master is another quick indicator that a truck is not an early one. Seeing the rear diff would be another clue, at least for the 1/2 ton trucks (9" or 8.8).

The only exterior visual comment I had to offer was the front fender lettering....and I'm not even sure when exactly that changed. 1982? 1983? The F150 on my 1984 front fender has the long F, and I know that the earlier trucks it was shorter...but I don't know when that change took place.

Yes, there are other clues I could have added. But I'd forgotten about the "F" on the fender. My page on Exterior/Name Plates shows that the change was for '82. The 1980 & '81 trucks take one badge, and the '82 through '86 trucks take another.

Good point!

I did, and scrolled back up to see if it is an '84 or '85. 'Tis an '85, and we know it is an early one at that. :nabble_smiley_wink:

My response was:

Ok Brandon, I'm here. Had Prashant come by from Atlanta. Driving his '86 460 with a Harley in the back. On his way to CO.

Anyway, it is difficult to spot the differences. One clue is the trim - there was an unusual trim used in late '84 and early '85 that is a giveaway. In fact, there was an early '85 at the show (which you didn't come to) and I asked the guy if it was early '85 - and he dropped his teeth. You can see the trim on the early '85 catalog and not on the late '85 catalog here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/1985-literature.html

Another is the slide locks, which were used in '80 and part of '81. And there were the clear vs amber turn signals, both of which are discussed here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/door-locks.html

Another is the trim line, like the Lariat, which didn't exist in '83 and '4, as discussed here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/bullnose-faqs.html.

Then there was the swiss cheese frame in '80 and '81. And the Rosewood trim from '80 through '85 and Burledwood in '85 and '6.

Should I go on? 🤔

But Brandon then asked how the gentleman at the FORDification show knew that Big Blue is an '85 by just seeing it drive by. And, to tell the truth I don't yet know. But I suspect that the Light Regatta Blue/Bright Regatta Blue combo of colors wasn't available in other years. So far that looks to be the case, but I don't have an '86 brochure so can't tell for sure. However, I should be able to tell on Saturday. :nabble_smiley_wink:

The most obvious clue that Big Blue is a 1985 or 1986 model is the paint scheme. For 1985 and 1986, the tu-tone paint started UNDER the sidemarker light and was separated from the other color by the early 1985 models "pressure sensitive" side molding (that was quickly dropped) or a tri-color tape stripe.

From 1980 - 1984, the tu-tone paint started ABOVE the side marker light and was separated from the other color by aluminum trim molding attached to the body by rivets.

The most obvious clue that Big Blue is a 1985 or 1986 model is the paint scheme. For 1985 and 1986, the tu-tone paint started UNDER the sidemarker light and was separated from the other color by the early 1985 models "pressure sensitive" side molding (that was quickly dropped) or a tri-color tape stripe.

From 1980 - 1984, the tu-tone paint started ABOVE the side marker light and was separated from the other color by aluminum trim molding attached to the body by rivets.

Rick - I didn't know that. Good to know. Thanks! I'll add that to the Bullnose FAQs. :nabble_smiley_good:

All - Here's a pic from the '81 brochure to show the way the Tu-Tone was done then:

1981_Tu_Tone.thumb.jpg.fd9de7b14f8eaa511bb55ab3e43e0e1f.jpg

And here's a pic from an '85 brochure:

1985_Tu_Tone.thumb.jpg.39afa4ebb24f10a5b361fe2780e1f04b.jpg