Bullnose Forums

5.0L oil drain plug issue

I often find that the specified torque (in just about anything) is higher than what I think it should be based on feel. I usually look at the torque spec just to get an idea of what the application is expecting torque-wise and just use feel (except for critical items like bearings, wheel/axle studs).

In this case... most 3/8 and 1/2 inch wrenches cannot accurately hit 20 ft-lbs. If you have a 1/4 inch torque wrench you can hit the lower end of the spec here (usually those can go up to 16 ft lbs) and that should be more than sufficient..... just in case the threads in the pan are weak ;/

Biggest issue with oil change places is speed. they want you in and out fast. One near me when I was in Newport News I called their bluff. They wanted to due a "full service" on Darth including a fluid and filter change on the C6. Kid told me there wasn't a converter drain. I told him I would make a bet on it, if I was wrong I would pay double for the transmission service, if I was right it would be free. He didn't bite.

I had previous issues with them, like breaking a vacuum tee on my 1981 Omni while the greased the upper ball joints on it (Macpherson Struts, no upper ball joints).

I did get them one time, I took our 1955 Packard Patrician in. car had probably 25-30 grease fittings, an oil bath air cleaner and a bypass oil filter. I copied the lube chart from the service manual so they could see where the grease fittings were. I was told, we don't even have a listing for air or oil filters for that car. I handed him the new oil filter element and explained oil bath air filters to him. They actually did the full service on it.

Biggest issue with oil change places is speed. they want you in and out fast. One near me when I was in Newport News I called their bluff. They wanted to due a "full service" on Darth including a fluid and filter change on the C6. Kid told me there wasn't a converter drain. I told him I would make a bet on it, if I was wrong I would pay double for the transmission service, if I was right it would be free. He didn't bite.

I had previous issues with them, like breaking a vacuum tee on my 1981 Omni while the greased the upper ball joints on it (Macpherson Struts, no upper ball joints).

I did get them one time, I took our 1955 Packard Patrician in. car had probably 25-30 grease fittings, an oil bath air cleaner and a bypass oil filter. I copied the lube chart from the service manual so they could see where the grease fittings were. I was told, we don't even have a listing for air or oil filters for that car. I handed him the new oil filter element and explained oil bath air filters to him. They actually did the full service on it.

my old mechanic would say "tighten it to a fair handshake" remember, the threads are already well oiled.