Bullnose Forums

Something in the transfer slot Holley 4160

Ok so I abandoned my earlier post as it got crazy confusing due mostly to me. So picture 1 is from a video of a guy explaining how the idle air mix and fuel circuit works He calls it a Transfer slot. He has drown lines on the block to show how fuel moves. Picture 2 and 3 show my Transfer slots and where I'm pointing that slot had something shaped like a nail head silver in color in it I tried to remove it and pushed it further back in. Does anyone know if it something factory? If not I assume this is what's causing all the idle issues. One side is free and clear for idle while the other side is clogged. AND... any suggestions on hoe to get that out????

PICTURE 1

Capture3.png.4ca779c2f3ea3c9f5597e65aff9a30b4.png

PICTURE 2

something_in_port_2.png.9de974828e2b0fadc9e25f33894771d8.png

PICTURE 3

something_in_port.png.066dc027fea36a8ca5b38108a269810f.png

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the hole goes all the way up to the air bleed inside the air inlet (you can check the clear side with a piece of wire or maybe even a spray tube from a can of cleaner). It the check proves it goes all the way up, try blowing air or even cleaner in that upper hole to (hopefully) dislodge the material blocking the lower part.

I just looked at the gaskets from my kit and the double holes between the main body and metering block are there.

If the hole goes all the way up to the air bleed inside the air inlet (you can check the clear side with a piece of wire or maybe even a spray tube from a can of cleaner). It the check proves it goes all the way up, try blowing air or even cleaner in that upper hole to (hopefully) dislodge the material blocking the lower part.

I just looked at the gaskets from my kit and the double holes between the main body and metering block are there.

So your gasket has 2 holes correct? Which means the ports should be connected and controlled by the mixing screw. This is what I have determined from watching multiple videos explaining in detail how this contraption works. I watched a guy clean his ports with wire from a wire brush, Good idea. Orrrrrr..... I just thought of this a E,B,or G string from a guitar.

So your gasket has 2 holes correct? Which means the ports should be connected and controlled by the mixing screw. This is what I have determined from watching multiple videos explaining in detail how this contraption works. I watched a guy clean his ports with wire from a wire brush, Good idea. Orrrrrr..... I just thought of this a E,B,or G string from a guitar.

Just be sure you don't push whatever is in there up into the air bleed.

Idle_circuit.thumb.jpg.17776763b37078fa7f9b9eba61c78acb.jpg

Just be sure you don't push whatever is in there up into the air bleed.

I don't like to use anything stiffer than copper wire to clean carb orifices. Otherwise it is possible to enlarge things.

I don't like to use anything stiffer than copper wire to clean carb orifices. Otherwise it is possible to enlarge things.

Well here it is. It looks like a piece of the casting. If I put it together and it still acts dumb I would be will to bet something more damaging has occurred elsewhere. I do have clean Ports throughout now though. Tell me what you think!!

IMG_20240601_131417.jpg.8a3ad27ab3279415e3a579c45bd7a13c.jpg

Well here it is. It looks like a piece of the casting. If I put it together and it still acts dumb I would be will to bet something more damaging has occurred elsewhere. I do have clean Ports throughout now though. Tell me what you think!!

a plug in a meaningful passage is a new one on me. there are a few cross drilled passages, but the access ports are capped(plugged) with a flat plug crimped in place. visible from the top of the metering block. air bleeds and transfer slots are not meant to be plugged usually. that's a heck of a wild goose chase for a carb guy much less a newbie. good catch!

a plug in a meaningful passage is a new one on me. there are a few cross drilled passages, but the access ports are capped(plugged) with a flat plug crimped in place. visible from the top of the metering block. air bleeds and transfer slots are not meant to be plugged usually. that's a heck of a wild goose chase for a carb guy much less a newbie. good catch!

Found the other half of this later. It looks like threaded and now I'm wondering it its the interior of the mixing screw on the metering block. I dont have air/fuel mix gaskets so the Idle out of control and still rolling. I used a little black o ring but once you back the needle out it looses seal. Maybe this week I'll get the gaskets in the mail.

Found the other half of this later. It looks like threaded and now I'm wondering it its the interior of the mixing screw on the metering block. I dont have air/fuel mix gaskets so the Idle out of control and still rolling. I used a little black o ring but once you back the needle out it looses seal. Maybe this week I'll get the gaskets in the mail.

Well still surging, VaarOOOOm VaarOOOOm I will have to check the intake manifold and the fuel lines Im assuming. I'm going crazy with this lol! Does anyone have any suggestions on this?

Well still surging, VaarOOOOm VaarOOOOm I will have to check the intake manifold and the fuel lines Im assuming. I'm going crazy with this lol! Does anyone have any suggestions on this?

do you have any access to a different carb. beg, borrow, just as a test. if you can divide and conquer. find out if it is certainly carb or intake gasket.