Bullnose Forums

Clocking A 3G? Help!

I re-read your opening post and it confuses me when you ask about the 3/16” and the red arrow. You don’t want, nor need, separation there. You want to separate the casing on the right from the black center section. The black winding portion stays with the back casing. The front casing has a bearing that is held in by a retainer w/ 3 screws which you can’t get to until the case has been pulled off of the armature, so the armature needs to slide out of the inner race of that bearing in order to get the case to separate from the winnings. This is an additional point of friction that is adding to the friction of potential rust within the front case.

Sounds confusing, I’ll try to post a pic. of a disassembled 3G

Well, my picture was WRONG. That is not where I'm trying to pull it apart. Here's a new pic that shows as far as I can get the front case half off the windings, and it appears to be hung pretty much where the arrow is. I can pry it farther apart on the left or right but the other side closes up.

I've heated it, hit it with the little ball peen hammer, and tapped the shaft several times, to no avail. I'm going to PB Blast it again and move on to the wiring of the PDB, but will come back and try it again from time to time.

Hung_Up_Here.jpg.d84b457758b4574ab09eeb52fe8837a4.jpg

Well, my picture was WRONG. That is not where I'm trying to pull it apart. Here's a new pic that shows as far as I can get the front case half off the windings, and it appears to be hung pretty much where the arrow is. I can pry it farther apart on the left or right but the other side closes up.

I've heated it, hit it with the little ball peen hammer, and tapped the shaft several times, to no avail. I'm going to PB Blast it again and move on to the wiring of the PDB, but will come back and try it again from time to time.

Yup, same symptoms and frustrations. If you take Jim’s advice to take off the pulley and smack the shaft, please put the nut back on first!

I ended up supporting the front case and let the rest hang down below and even put a 24” piece of W12x50 on the nut to provide constant weight. 3-4 days of spraying and tapping.

Heard a LOUD noise one night while sleeping and lo and behold, I had a separated 3G!

Yup, same symptoms and frustrations. If you take Jim’s advice to take off the pulley and smack the shaft, please put the nut back on first!

I ended up supporting the front case and let the rest hang down below and even put a 24” piece of W12x50 on the nut to provide constant weight. 3-4 days of spraying and tapping.

Heard a LOUD noise one night while sleeping and lo and behold, I had a separated 3G!

Don't worry, Dad taught me to ALWAYS put the nut on before hitting a bolt or shaft. So I've been doing that, to no avail.

But your idea of constant weight is a good one, so how 'bout this? Don't know how heavy that chuck of steel is, but it is HEAVY!

Weight_On_3G_Shaft.jpg.a6e42833816acc188a657be654ec3ba9.jpg

Don't worry, Dad taught me to ALWAYS put the nut on before hitting a bolt or shaft. So I've been doing that, to no avail.

But your idea of constant weight is a good one, so how 'bout this? Don't know how heavy that chuck of steel is, but it is HEAVY!

That will certainly work well.

I hope so. I have tools nearby so I can heat it up, hammer on it, etc several times a day.

«By time and toil we sever

What strength and rage could never.»

«Patience and length of time will still

Much more than force and rage fulfill.»

Jean de La Fontaine

«By time and toil we sever

What strength and rage could never.»

«Patience and length of time will still

Much more than force and rage fulfill.»

Jean de La Fontaine

Cool! But I'm intrigued - surely he wrote in French but it still rhymes in English?

Cool! But I'm intrigued - surely he wrote in French but it still rhymes in English?

Long story short, a rat get out of soil between the lion’s legs. But the lion is a King so he decides to let the rat go.

Later, the lion falls in some nets, and despite raging and roaring, he cannot escape.

The little rat comes back, gnaws the ropes and delivers the lion.

In the original French version, even the final moral is in the two last phrases, you need the last four lines to get rhymes:

Sire Rat accourut, et fit tant par ses dents (the rat comes back and gnaws so hard)

Qu'une maille rongée emporta tout l'ouvrage. (That a cut rope destroyed the whole mesh)

Patience et longueur de temps (Patience and length of time)

Font plus que force ni que rage. (are better than roaring and rage)

Since the moral of the story stands in the last two lines, English translations made the two last lines rhyme together.

In French, just saying the moral has no rhymes.

Funnily, I prefer the English way!

YOU HEARD IT POP? dang! you must be a light sleeper.

YOU HEARD IT POP? dang! you must be a light sleeper.

I am a light sleeper, but when a 100lb piece of I-beam falls on to a steel top work bench and then on to the floor, it didn’t sound like a POP. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig: