Bullnose Forums

Oil filter

So I am trying to change the oil and I cannot get tge oil filter off or even to budge. I have a 460 so I have the adapter that makes the filter face the front of the truck.

Is there some chance that it isn't counter clockwise threaded for removing?

Two adapters and a screwdriver through it and not a budge. I am about to take off the adapter

Thanks

I’ve had that happen on one of my past sitting trucks. It was a 351 Windsor but similar story. The only way I could get it off was by using a C clamp. Use the C clamp to get a vice grip on the filter and then turn the clamp. I exhausted just about every other method before I tried this.

Never heard of a reverse threaded filter

Might want to hear others opinions before trying my method

I’ve had that happen on one of my past sitting trucks. It was a 351 Windsor but similar story. The only way I could get it off was by using a C clamp. Use the C clamp to get a vice grip on the filter and then turn the clamp. I exhausted just about every other method before I tried this.

Filters are all right-hand thread. But I've seen them so tight that I've had to use a strap wrench and a filter wrench on the hex at the bottom of it at the same time.

But if you've run a screwdriver through it, which I've also done but with little effect, the body may not be strong enough now to use a strap wrench. So at this point whatever it takes is fair game.

As a heavy equipment mechanic I've had a few stubborn filters over the years. I have a CAT industrial quality strap filter wrench and needed a 2 foot 1/2" drive power bar and pushing with both legs to loosen one filter.

Memory isn't what it used to be but seem to remember cutting the outer tin off and removing the paper element to get a grip on the part that threads onto the filter housing. Not sure if I then used a pipe wrench or something else.

Good luck they can really get stuck sometimes.

Paul

As a heavy equipment mechanic I've had a few stubborn filters over the years. I have a CAT industrial quality strap filter wrench and needed a 2 foot 1/2" drive power bar and pushing with both legs to loosen one filter.

Memory isn't what it used to be but seem to remember cutting the outer tin off and removing the paper element to get a grip on the part that threads onto the filter housing. Not sure if I then used a pipe wrench or something else.

Good luck they can really get stuck sometimes.

Paul

The truck was (I thought) tall enough it seemed good access so I didn't jack it up. The bolt for the adapter was right there and easy to reach so I just popped that and then put the whole thing in a vice (the filer so I wouldn't damage the adapter) and finally with my full body weight got it to come loose. The guy who put it on was surprised it was that tight.

Thanks for the advice

The truck was (I thought) tall enough it seemed good access so I didn't jack it up. The bolt for the adapter was right there and easy to reach so I just popped that and then put the whole thing in a vice (the filer so I wouldn't damage the adapter) and finally with my full body weight got it to come loose. The guy who put it on was surprised it was that tight.

Thanks for the advice

Glad you got it off. :nabble_anim_claps:

Glad you got it off. :nabble_anim_claps:

Great time to change that seal between the adapter and the block!!

Everytime I change oil on Big Blue 2WD, I tell myself I'm going to change the adapter seal but I never do. Its a-seeping away real slow and all grimy/nasty. Yuck!!

Great time to change that seal between the adapter and the block!!

Everytime I change oil on Big Blue 2WD, I tell myself I'm going to change the adapter seal but I never do. Its a-seeping away real slow and all grimy/nasty. Yuck!!

Good advice. I didn't have the seal ring and I didn't plan on removing it honestly. I will probably have to change the oil again, because I have a leak somewhere (probably valve cover leaking too) so I am going to order one to have it on hand now.

Good advice. I didn't have the seal ring and I didn't plan on removing it honestly. I will probably have to change the oil again, because I have a leak somewhere (probably valve cover leaking too) so I am going to order one to have it on hand now.

Couple of years ago, an uncle gave me some used hand tools he didn’t need anymore.

Not sure about this one, I suppose it’s made for pipe works.

But it found a place in my mechanic’s toolbox, for too stiff oil filters.

Does the job very well.

IMG_0097.jpeg.b7c5b7167e1b47f2f7b60abc7c434906.jpeg

Thanks for the advice

Had to use a similar technique on my boat's fuel filter/water separator (same can size as a Ford FL-1A oil filter)... only in my case, it was stuck because of rust (separated water + sat for 10 years). Thankfully, like in your case, it was mounted to a removalble body (two bolts and two fuel lines/hoses) so removal was an option. Even then, it still put up a fight (ended up using a vice and a large pipe wrench).