Bullnose Forums

C6 transmission whining when hot and losing gears

OK I will ask for that style!

I wish I knew exactly what was in Big Blue 2WD. Even with the 3.08 gearing it is a beast. The torque converter is blue. That is all I know. I has been rebuilt, It most likely has a shift kit.

I'm planning to drive up Big Blue 2WD to the transmission shop and tell them "that's what I want".

The shop that will be doing the work is "Plano Automatic Transmission". They have been in business since 1966, the year C6 was introduced. The owner Jeff builds all the transmissions personally.... I think it will be in good hands.

Well... they are a month out... :nabble_smiley_thinking:

Last time I visited them the lot was FULL.

Hope I can survive the month with only Big Blue 2WD.

(Non-AC)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well... they are a month out... :nabble_smiley_thinking:

Last time I visited them the lot was FULL.

Hope I can survive the month with only Big Blue 2WD.

(Non-AC)

So here goes again. Deja-vu. Transmission shop says they are a month out and I find this 3/4 bottle of Lucas transmission fix. I pour it in and now I have 1st gear (in full effect) again after a little bit of driving.

Just how good is this miracle "Snake oil" ???? :nabble_anim_confused:

I am still not going to chance it by driving a whole lot. I think there is probably just enough life to get to the transmission shop.

So here goes again. Deja-vu. Transmission shop says they are a month out and I find this 3/4 bottle of Lucas transmission fix. I pour it in and now I have 1st gear (in full effect) again after a little bit of driving.

I am still not going to chance it by driving a whole lot. I think there is probably just enough life to get to the transmission shop.

What you are experiencing is probably one of two things (a) governor sticking (b) 1-2 shift valve sticking. In either case, the Lucas (or similar, I use Trans-Medic) is a good solution if that is the case.

:nabble_smiley_oh:

I think you said you found mud in the bottom of the pan - right? Did you also drain the torque converter at that time?

If you did replace all of the fluid then you shouldn't need snake oil. But some of that stuff has some serious seal-swelling additives and maybe that's what it took to get the clutches to work? :nabble_anim_confused:

I think you said you found mud in the bottom of the pan - right? Did you also drain the torque converter at that time?

If you did replace all of the fluid then you shouldn't need snake oil. But some of that stuff has some serious seal-swelling additives and maybe that's what it took to get the clutches to work? :nabble_anim_confused:

Gary, the only hydraulically applied clutch in auto 1st is the forward clutch, manual low, the low-reverse clutch is also applied. This is why I said sticking governor or 1-2 shift valve.

Gary, Yes I drained it, and drained it again when I drained the pan.

Yes there is some black magic happening inside that I don't understand.

What you are experiencing is probably one of two things (a) governor sticking (b) 1-2 shift valve sticking. In either case, the Lucas (or similar, I use Trans-Medic) is a good solution if that is the case.

Thank you Bill !!

I think I'm also seeing more of not wanting to downshift to 1 until complete stop when the fluid is hot. Does that indicate anything ? Also when hot, I'm losing some horsepower (probably because I'm in 2nd gear trying to take off).... Jim and Matt on my other carb related post were pointing to a power loss via transmission.

I'm planning to add a transmission cooler here soon.... and a real temp gauge so I can get a precise indication of what happens when.

Thank you Bill !!

I think I'm also seeing more of not wanting to downshift to 1 until complete stop when the fluid is hot. Does that indicate anything ? Also when hot, I'm losing some horsepower (probably because I'm in 2nd gear trying to take off).... Jim and Matt on my other carb related post were pointing to a power loss via transmission.

I'm planning to add a transmission cooler here soon.... and a real temp gauge so I can get a precise indication of what happens when.

Not wanting to downshift is related to what I posted earlier. Governor or 1-2 shift valve sticking.

Not wanting to downshift is related to what I posted earlier. Governor or 1-2 shift valve sticking.

Bill, Would that also apply if yesterday I tried to manually go down to 1 and I couldn’t ? Wouldn’t a manual downshift to 1 have overridden the governor or shift valve?

Bill, Would that also apply if yesterday I tried to manually go down to 1 and I couldn’t ? Wouldn’t a manual downshift to 1 have overridden the governor or shift valve?

Auxiliary cooler from the 86 parts truck. Parts trucks are awesome!!

0917843E-3EF1-4DF9-BCFC-301F96B85ADC.jpeg.e724838f39a831aa42351f175e16eafe.jpeg

B3CB372E-11A9-4B06-B0C6-BA366DBB9D7A.jpeg.42729766281cd44774ce4d8c91495a35.jpeg