Bullnose Forums

C6 transmission whining when hot and losing gears

That would make Big Blue's day but at this point Big Blue 2wd should be at the car show! If I did go to the transmission shop I will need to tow the Bronco using Big Blue, or use my AAA. UHAUL's towing guide says I can't tow the Bronco with a 1984 F350 but thats kind of BS.

Update... added more snake oil. Now the Bronco when hot has a persistent whine but no loss of driveability or power. I feel though I am under the gun driving with the persistent whine. Whine = metal to metal or whine = air in the system ? If its metal to metal, that is no way to continue business. If its air, maybe I'll give it more time.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would make Big Blue's day but at this point Big Blue 2wd should be at the car show! If I did go to the transmission shop I will need to tow the Bronco using Big Blue, or use my AAA. UHAUL's towing guide says I can't tow the Bronco with a 1984 F350 but thats kind of BS.

they are extra cautious where their potential liability comes in. I have run into numerous cases of them not renting me a car hauler without "enough truck" when I had my excursion I had no issue renting. with e350s I had no issue. yet with my expedition they will only rent me a dolly.

they are extra cautious where their potential liability comes in. I have run into numerous cases of them not renting me a car hauler without "enough truck" when I had my excursion I had no issue renting. with e350s I had no issue. yet with my expedition they will only rent me a dolly.

I have had the same thing happen in the past with U Haul.

They are prone not to rent to older vehicles too.

Never had a problem renting with the 3/4 ton Suburban I used to own either.

I have had the same thing happen in the past with U Haul.

They are prone not to rent to older vehicles too.

Never had a problem renting with the 3/4 ton Suburban I used to own either.

6FD9B838-A669-4A0E-8ECF-AE3F09EEBAC9.jpeg.303d469991566ee1378634ec48e99f35.jpeg

586770E5-5FB7-4BF8-BB79-710A6E6EB07F.jpeg.8b1f164e8ac4c920ce83ab4a1e097045.jpeg

On a hunch last night, I dropped the pan. Found so much crap in it in just 100 miles. Filter pick up tube has a lot of debris. So it makes sense. The pump is starving after it runs for a little bit. After I turn off the vehicle and back on its back to normal.

I saw that if you change fluid on a sitting vehicle, the new fluids detergents will wash off buildup and all the years of scale and do just this.

Talking to the previous owner, he has no recollection of ever servicing the transmission.

On a hunch last night, I dropped the pan. Found so much crap in it in just 100 miles. Filter pick up tube has a lot of debris. So it makes sense. The pump is starving after it runs for a little bit. After I turn off the vehicle and back on its back to normal.

I saw that if you change fluid on a sitting vehicle, the new fluids detergents will wash off buildup and all the years of scale and do just this.

Talking to the previous owner, he has no recollection of ever servicing the transmission.

That's U.G.L.Y! But that doesn't mean the tranny is dead. I would clean it up, put fresh fluid & filter in it with a quart of "snake oil" and give it another chance. Cheaper than a rebuild.

That's U.G.L.Y! But that doesn't mean the tranny is dead. I would clean it up, put fresh fluid & filter in it with a quart of "snake oil" and give it another chance. Cheaper than a rebuild.

Indeed!! I am just hopeful this is all the gunk. I have no doubts that it will improve in the short term, but if I am back where I was in another 100 miles, is it fair to call it 'rebuild time' ?

For insurance, I am reusing the 'skimmed' fluid I drained in hopes that all the detergent power from the fluid is used up .... else it becomes a chicken and egg problem :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Indeed!! I am just hopeful this is all the gunk. I have no doubts that it will improve in the short term, but if I am back where I was in another 100 miles, is it fair to call it 'rebuild time' ?

For insurance, I am reusing the 'skimmed' fluid I drained in hopes that all the detergent power from the fluid is used up .... else it becomes a chicken and egg problem :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

I doubt it is all the gunk. Some of it is in the torque converter if you haven’t drained it, and it holds about half the fluid.

How much does a full change of fluid cost? Lots less than a rebuild. Maybe run the skimmed & filtered fluid a while longer then change to fresh fluid if it is acting better?

I doubt it is all the gunk. Some of it is in the torque converter if you haven’t drained it, and it holds about half the fluid.

How much does a full change of fluid cost? Lots less than a rebuild. Maybe run the skimmed & filtered fluid a while longer then change to fresh fluid if it is acting better?

Good point, I will drain the torque converter again

Fluid change is quite cheap, probably less than $50 including snake oil

Good point, I will drain the torque converter again

Fluid change is quite cheap, probably less than $50 including snake oil

I poured back in the filtered fluid. It was about 12 quarts.

I drove it for about 30 minutes. No howling or complaints yet but the transmission does have some gremlins to be worked out (as it always has been). 1-2 shifts are too close together… 2-3 are normal. Doesn’t downshift to 1 unless I am dead stopped. I need the kickdown rod installed ASAP.

I poured back in the filtered fluid. It was about 12 quarts.

I drove it for about 30 minutes. No howling or complaints yet but the transmission does have some gremlins to be worked out (as it always has been). 1-2 shifts are too close together… 2-3 are normal. Doesn’t downshift to 1 unless I am dead stopped. I need the kickdown rod installed ASAP.

Progress!!!

Is the tranny full? And you have how much snake oil in it? It took some driving for one of mine that had sat for years to finally start out in 1st gear on its own. But it did.

And have you tried driving in Reverse?

As for the kick-down lever, it really isn't needed. It doesn't come into play except at WOT.