Bullnose Forums

Old topic [gas mileage] revisited...

I remember that little gear box David! Quite cool. I still want to try my idea of pairing the metric speedometer head with the white driven gear to see if miles will read as kilometers… but I have not been able to justify the downtime to switch out the drive gear in the BW1345. But it will happen in due time.

Right now I have no speed or mileage indicator at all. The truck is serving its term as a burro I guess… I don’t have much need to know exactly how SLOW I am going… 😅

now here is a man not afraid to "load" his 1/2 ton truck! stay off the scales !

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t have much need to know exactly how SLOW I am going… 😅

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n153418/IMG_8608.jpeg

Lol!

Having front wheels touching ground enough for steering it?

:nabble_smiley_evil:

Big Bro uses to slowly tow a manure trailer, once a month.

He probably drinks 12 gpm while doing his duty.

:nabble_smiley_wink:

Sometimes we hit the road, mostly highways, with some streets and small roads ride too.

Average 12,3 mpg.

Without heavy load.

Lol!

Sometimes we hit the road, mostly highways, with some streets and small roads ride too.

Average 12,3 mpg.

Without heavy load.

Good point, Jeff. Forgot to report on the trip where Steve/FoxFord33 and I took Big Blue and the car hauler trailer to Stillwater and back to get a Mercury Mountaineer.

The Mountaineer is said to weigh ~4500 lbs and the trailer is about 3000 lbs, so we were towing 7500 lbs. On the way over we ran 65 & 70 in 5th gear and the 460 didn't care. But on the way back we mostly ran 65 in 4th gear 'cause it took a lot of throttle to pull the hills in 5th, and there are some pretty steep hills on that trip. But it went up the hills with no problem at all in 4th.

Round trip it was pushing 200 miles, with a fair bit of time idling to get the trailer into position or charging the battery while using the winch. And overall we got 10 MPG.

As for the front tires, I don't think they got much wear on the way back. We got that Merc too far forward on the trailer and didn't want to try to move it back given the D-shaped tires and the fact that it was stuck in Park. I'd put quite a bit of air in the air bags so the truck didn't squat at all, but the steering sure was light. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Lol!

Average 12,3 mpg.

Without heavy load.

Yeah, my steering is pretty loose even unloaded… and then load on that much cement and the steering gets downright approximate 😵‍💫. Obviously I was not going fast enough for that to be a problem.

I did find a set of “helper” leaf springs in my junk stash, but my recollection is that those make for a very, very rough ride! Even the cement sack load in the picture didn’t have the stops to the axle, and I wouldn’t go any heavier than that! My F150 has a GVWR on the door tag of 6,100 lbs which is similar to the “light” F250’s with semi float axles but I was definitely over that time 🙃

Hauling heavy my mpg goes down to 10-12 depending on the grade and the speed, empty I’m 15-17. And the heavier the load the more I appreciate the close ratio T19

Yeah, my steering is pretty loose even unloaded… and then load on that much cement and the steering gets downright approximate 😵‍💫. Obviously I was not going fast enough for that to be a problem.

I did find a set of “helper” leaf springs in my junk stash, but my recollection is that those make for a very, very rough ride! Even the cement sack load in the picture didn’t have the stops to the axle, and I wouldn’t go any heavier than that! My F150 has a GVWR on the door tag of 6,100 lbs which is similar to the “light” F250’s with semi float axles but I was definitely over that time 🙃

Hauling heavy my mpg goes down to 10-12 depending on the grade and the speed, empty I’m 15-17. And the heavier the load the more I appreciate the close ratio T19

The rockhauler name comes from my wife wanting some rocks to make a rock garden and me being a heavy equipment mechanic. She had no idea what was coming till I showed up with a rock in the back of my F150. It took 2 one ton chain blocks working together to lift the rock high enough to load into the back of my truck. This one particular rock and a couple others had the rubber bumpers on the rear frame crushed into the axle and the front wheels kind of skipped along when they felt like it. By the time I was done hauling rocks the box cross members were crushed and the box floor was touching the gas tank. Was worried at the time I would sheer off a axle flange. Wasn't really thinking about fuel mileage on this quest but did get the loaded truck up to highway speeds, to be young and foolish again.

Unloading-Rock-at-Home.thumb.jpg.314780645756ce3a4c360300a4d35070.jpg

Paul

The rockhauler name comes from my wife wanting some rocks to make a rock garden and me being a heavy equipment mechanic. She had no idea what was coming till I showed up with a rock in the back of my F150. It took 2 one ton chain blocks working together to lift the rock high enough to load into the back of my truck. This one particular rock and a couple others had the rubber bumpers on the rear frame crushed into the axle and the front wheels kind of skipped along when they felt like it. By the time I was done hauling rocks the box cross members were crushed and the box floor was touching the gas tank. Was worried at the time I would sheer off a axle flange. Wasn't really thinking about fuel mileage on this quest but did get the loaded truck up to highway speeds, to be young and foolish again.

Paul

Awesome job Paul, maybe she’ll let you off your knees now. Pun intended, no offense meant. After a good laugh, I know she loved it. CJ

Awesome job Paul, maybe she’ll let you off your knees now. Pun intended, no offense meant. After a good laugh, I know she loved it. CJ

I got 9 mpg when I first got my 1985 300-6, after new carb, fuel lines, fuel tanks, fuel pump, distributor, wires, plugs and fuel regulator. I now get 9.mpg! CJ

I got 9 mpg when I first got my 1985 300-6, after new carb, fuel lines, fuel tanks, fuel pump, distributor, wires, plugs and fuel regulator. I now get 9.mpg! CJ

Just think, "I could have had a V-8" and gotten better mileage. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Just think, "I could have had a V-8" and gotten better mileage. :nabble_smiley_evil:

I think you’re right Gary but I have not found one this solid, very minor rust and I can drop an 8 in it or sell it. Forgot to mention, I also installed an air dam on the front bumper. I believe the guys getting “high mileage” with a six has been hanging out with the Dodge boys. CJ

I think you’re right Gary but I have not found one this solid, very minor rust and I can drop an 8 in it or sell it. Forgot to mention, I also installed an air dam on the front bumper. I believe the guys getting “high mileage” with a six has been hanging out with the Dodge boys. CJ

No offense taken CJett, my neighbors likely think my head is full of rocks. I hate cutting grass on a steep slope so replaced the grass with rocks. Wife then planted flowers around the rocks turned out looking pretty good.

Paul

Backyard.thumb.jpg.add2ffaab2253450cb278d218e35d21d.jpg