Bullnose Forums

Diagnosing Speed Control

I got through the transfer of the buttons from one horn pad to the other. Just removing the plastic nuts with some needle-nose pliers was all that was required (and being gentle to not crack the plastic!)

Glad you got that done, Chris. I've not made it to the shop, so you beat me to it. :nabble_smiley_good:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you got that done, Chris. I've not made it to the shop, so you beat me to it. :nabble_smiley_good:

I've been chugging along running tests. Most tests are passing, but in the processing of checking various pins, two of the retaining pins in one of the connectors (C717) to the amplifier broke off. I found one to try and glue back in place, but I think the other was already gone. I'm trying to find a replacement connector online, but I'm not finding much so far. Help? I looked in the Motorcraft catalog and other sites, and I don't see a match. There are no marks on the connector itself, either.

EDIT: I found a number on the connector: D5AB-14489. Googling that number comes up with other shape connectors, though...

5XchE5uoQdChoMODNIhhIQ.thumb.jpg.02894ee9b649a562bc2f0c82bce32f24.jpg

afy3rKWrR8e2510lcKFO4w.thumb.jpg.2e434610aeef7d93a65b2ea8a8bd215b.jpg

I've been chugging along running tests. Most tests are passing, but in the processing of checking various pins, two of the retaining pins in one of the connectors (C717) to the amplifier broke off. I found one to try and glue back in place, but I think the other was already gone. I'm trying to find a replacement connector online, but I'm not finding much so far. Help? I looked in the Motorcraft catalog and other sites, and I don't see a match. There are no marks on the connector itself, either.

EDIT: I found a number on the connector: D5AB-14489. Googling that number comes up with other shape connectors, though...

Chris - Email me your address. I'm sure I have one of those and I'll get it out to you tomorrow as I need to mail something else anyway.

Chris - Email me your address. I'm sure I have one of those and I'll get it out to you tomorrow as I need to mail something else anyway.

Thank you for the offer, Gary!

You are welcome, Chris. Happy to help and hope this solves your problem.

You are welcome, Chris. Happy to help and hope this solves your problem.

I'm digging a little deeper, and I'm looking at the servo. It looks pretty beat up - the back is covered with surface rust, there is paint overspray all over it, etc.

Does anyone have any idea on interchangeability with other years of servos? I see some on eBay and rebuilt ones on RockAuto that don't look too bad, but none that are an exact match.

I've read that if I transplant the cable from the old unit to the new, the rest should work. Any thoughts here? Thanks!

I'm digging a little deeper, and I'm looking at the servo. It looks pretty beat up - the back is covered with surface rust, there is paint overspray all over it, etc.

Does anyone have any idea on interchangeability with other years of servos? I see some on eBay and rebuilt ones on RockAuto that don't look too bad, but none that are an exact match.

I've read that if I transplant the cable from the old unit to the new, the rest should work. Any thoughts here? Thanks!

The servos are pretty interchangeable. If you look at the snippet from the MPC, which is on our page at Documentation/Electrical/Speed Control you'll see that E9TZ 9C735-E fits 80-89 F-U100/350 except 81 in CA.

Not sure I have that one, but I have several servos and am happy to send you one. As for the cable, it is easy to change from one servo to another.

speed-control-part-numbers-1_orig.thumb.jpg.70ca75ca1e97fd1b8c43b3f1486234a4.jpg

The servos are pretty interchangeable. If you look at the snippet from the MPC, which is on our page at Documentation/Electrical/Speed Control you'll see that E9TZ 9C735-E fits 80-89 F-U100/350 except 81 in CA.

Not sure I have that one, but I have several servos and am happy to send you one. As for the cable, it is easy to change from one servo to another.

Thanks Gary, I did see that on the page and have the E0TZ and E9TZ ids in as eBay saved searches :nabble_smiley_good:

I always like to just ask, as I do t always trust the MPC 100%, and the community is here to ask about gotchas!

Thank you for the offer! I’m away for work for a week, so let me search around a little bit and I’ll let you know.

Thanks Gary, I did see that on the page and have the E0TZ and E9TZ ids in as eBay saved searches :nabble_smiley_good:

I always like to just ask, as I do t always trust the MPC 100%, and the community is here to ask about gotchas!

Thank you for the offer! I’m away for work for a week, so let me search around a little bit and I’ll let you know.

I can have it there when you get back. I know where you live. :nabble_smiley_evil:

I can have it there when you get back. I know where you live. :nabble_smiley_evil:

If it appears on my door step, I won’t turn it down :nabble_smiley_teeth:

Truly though, I sincerely appreciate the offer.