Bullnose Forums

AOD Rod connection Carb and venturi

Hello, my carburator needs some love. it's now like this

No good AOD rod connection en no shoke

rechts.jpg.6320c9f5c85d7ca33052efbee0599c3f.jpg

links.jpg.613e7b571c76971e9d1dc4306d64eb2e.jpg

With the netherlands weather it would be nice to have a shoke.

For the seconde problem I think I buy a 100€ knockoff on ebay.de and maybe I can replace the whole carb. Worst case I use the shoke parts.

The quistion I have with this now is if it is ok if buy a venturi 1.16. Orignal it should be 1.08. But I can not find those.

If the carb works or not I also need to make something different than the tyreps construction for the AOD rod I have now. Can't be hard, seen pictures but it would help if someone could help me with te size. How much should the rod connecter be from the shaft. heart 2 heart.

And should it stand in rest straight up or somewhat towards de driverside.

ford f150 1984 302 AOD

DO NOT DRIVE IT THIS WAY. if you have a little then it "may" not be damaged. the aod throttle valve rod that you have there is supposed to connect onto a pin on an inner secondary linkage that gets "timed" to the correct pressure timing for the transmission to upshift, not just downshift or "kick down" like a c6 or c4. plus, you run the risk of sticking throttle. fix this first then we can focus on the choke.

DO NOT DRIVE IT THIS WAY. if you have a little then it "may" not be damaged. the aod throttle valve rod that you have there is supposed to connect onto a pin on an inner secondary linkage that gets "timed" to the correct pressure timing for the transmission to upshift, not just downshift or "kick down" like a c6 or c4. plus, you run the risk of sticking throttle. fix this first then we can focus on the choke.

Thanks for your respons. I understand it is the biggest problem that I would like to fix.

I would be gratefull if anyone could give me the sizes of the secondary linkage. Heart to heart and stationair position.

Then I can fix the timing. I the meantime it shifts up at the correct speed. But I only have kickdown in overdrive.

Thanks for your respons. I understand it is the biggest problem that I would like to fix.

I would be gratefull if anyone could give me the sizes of the secondary linkage. Heart to heart and stationair position.

Then I can fix the timing. I the meantime it shifts up at the correct speed. But I only have kickdown in overdrive.

it will be very difficult to diagnose shift issues the way it is now. pointless really. in your picture I can see the inner linkage with the pin for the tv rod. there is most likely a retainer lost. an "e" ring type for1/4" shaft or 6-6.5mm. this inner linkage should also have a threaded machine screw about 30 mm long with a hex head for 8mm wrench this is what should be used for timing adjustment of the tv pressure.

it will be very difficult to diagnose shift issues the way it is now. pointless really. in your picture I can see the inner linkage with the pin for the tv rod. there is most likely a retainer lost. an "e" ring type for1/4" shaft or 6-6.5mm. this inner linkage should also have a threaded machine screw about 30 mm long with a hex head for 8mm wrench this is what should be used for timing adjustment of the tv pressure.

Thanks. That is the info i was lookkng for.

I read it as heart to heart 30mm linkage. I will make that part.

Feels like the rod will move a little faster then it does now.

Adjusting at the carb side is not important, can do that on the aod side.

Thanks. That is the info i was lookkng for.

I read it as heart to heart 30mm linkage. I will make that part.

Feels like the rod will move a little faster then it does now.

Adjusting at the carb side is not important, can do that on the aod side.

I really hope that we do not end up with a misunderstanding by way of translation. I am not sure what you are meaning by "'heart to heart". it seems out of place in the text. please share pics of what you do before driving so we can try to stay safe and not damage the transmission too.

I really hope that we do not end up with a misunderstanding by way of translation. I am not sure what you are meaning by "'heart to heart". it seems out of place in the text. please share pics of what you do before driving so we can try to stay safe and not damage the transmission too.

You are right and I was thinking about it. sorry for my bad english. I probably get better in the end ;)

I was planned to make this. Where I meant Heart I meant centre of the holes. 30MM appart

20240510_142219.jpg.d084039268ba9089a63bc2270e80697a.jpg

But i thought of something else. The lenght of the "plate" where the gascable is connected on is just as important. Because if the are te same lenght the timing should be fine as it is now. and I know it is not.

to take a better look i bought a carb form ebay.de which arived today. I am going to try this on the car if i figured out what the right timing should be. Because te connection on this carb is for the older transmisions I know this is not correct now.

Afbeelding_van_WhatsApp_op_2024-05-10_om_14.jpg.dfdebfd319cca5c071df4896aa6daafd.jpg

the gascable connection is 30mm

twee3de_2024-05-10_om_14.jpg.dad29e6cee653fe669c5caba6ef7e15a.jpg

the connection length of the AOD rod is 50mm

But the question is, what are the right lengths?

You are right and I was thinking about it. sorry for my bad english. I probably get better in the end ;)

I was planned to make this. Where I meant Heart I meant centre of the holes. 30MM appart

But i thought of something else. The lenght of the "plate" where the gascable is connected on is just as important. Because if the are te same lenght the timing should be fine as it is now. and I know it is not.

to take a better look i bought a carb form ebay.de which arived today. I am going to try this on the car if i figured out what the right timing should be. Because te connection on this carb is for the older transmisions I know this is not correct now.

the gascable connection is 30mm

the connection length of the AOD rod is 50mm

But the question is, what are the right lengths?

before going into engineering of linkages install it as it is and do the proper pressure tests for an aod tv adjustment. you may find that it is within spec. if it is not then at least that should lead to a direction to go. the aod transmission is picky about being set correctly and a pressure gauge is critical to avoid guessing.

before going into engineering of linkages install it as it is and do the proper pressure tests for an aod tv adjustment. you may find that it is within spec. if it is not then at least that should lead to a direction to go. the aod transmission is picky about being set correctly and a pressure gauge is critical to avoid guessing.

Good point.

First trail and error

Mayby look for a pressure meter. I am not sure if that would help.

I was thinking if te linkage on the gearbox is designed to use its full range from totaly closed at idle(it is) to (almost) the end at full throttle I could use that knowledge by making the length of the linkage. Trail en error to cover the range. Sounds logically.

Good point.

First trail and error

Mayby look for a pressure meter. I am not sure if that would help.

I was thinking if te linkage on the gearbox is designed to use its full range from totaly closed at idle(it is) to (almost) the end at full throttle I could use that knowledge by making the length of the linkage. Trail en error to cover the range. Sounds logically.

that does sound logical, but it is flawed when it comes to the aod. very often the feel of the throttle valve can seem good yet still be at zero psi even after an 1/8" or as much as 1/4". get a pressure gauge and know as it could save a lot of headaches and expense.

one of the quirks of an aod is that the pressure applied to the pistons which hold the clutches and bands is applied variably. pressure MUST be there when torque is applied, or clutches slip and burn.in fact its better to have a little too much. but only a little. a second quirk is that in an effort to make the assembly more fuel efficient (in late 1970s and into the early 1980s) the valve body reduces pressure to the direct clutch when in reality it needs more. this is a feature that helped give it the bad reputation for weakness.