Bullnose Forums

84 F150 4.9 starts, but stalls

Jon

Jon - You say the fuel pump appears to be working, but didn't say how you know that. Presumably that means it pumped gas into a coffee can or some such when you cranked the engine. If that is correct the needle in the carb is probably stuck on the seat, not letting gas into the bowl.

To unstick that try rapping the top of the carb sharply with a screwdriver handle right above where the fuel line goes in. If that doesn't work after several tries I think you will have to disassemble the carb, and when you have it apart I would replace the needle and seat as well as the gaskets.

On the wires, I don't have a 1984 Electrical & Vacuum Troubkeshooting Manual (EVTM) on this site, but I do have a 1896 version. You can get to it via the navigation menu to the left (Electrical/EVTM/1986 EVTM), and on Page 56 you can see a feedback control solenoid with a red wire and a tan/light green wire. Might that be it? If so, you have to think about if you need it connected, and that depends on both whether you have emissions tests as well as what ignition system you have. Do you have an ignition module on the fender, and if so, what is the color of the grommet where the wires go in? Or, do you have a vacuum advance on the distributor?

Some people have had luck freeing a sticky needle valve by having someone turn the engine, over using the key, while you pinch the fuel line [if not all metal] with needle nose pliers between the fuel pump and the carburetor fuel inlet. While the engine is cranking, quickly release the pinch point and if lucky, the surge of fuel will blow past any trash in the valve.