Bullnose Forums

opinions on a motor home

Matt, you’ll never know until you do it. I’ve owned all types, I only towed once, it was not worth it. But it depends on what type camping you do. For ten yrs, every summer I took the grandkids, one.or two of their friends camping. We covered 40 states. I towed with a F-350 D/W Crewcab Diesel. About 9 mpg. I pulled a fifth wheel or pull behind. One yr we tent camped all the way to Calif. Loved it all. In a motorized RV, you’re in it 24/7. In a pull behind, you get out and go in your “house”. I just like pull behind better. Campers are the best people out there, if you have a problem, they will help. If you like fishing, Gore, OK, downstream Ten Killer Lake became our favorite. It’s a straight shot on I/40 from you. The trout sure taste good! CJ

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt, you’ll never know until you do it. I’ve owned all types, I only towed once, it was not worth it. But it depends on what type camping you do. For ten yrs, every summer I took the grandkids, one.or two of their friends camping. We covered 40 states. I towed with a F-350 D/W Crewcab Diesel. About 9 mpg. I pulled a fifth wheel or pull behind. One yr we tent camped all the way to Calif. Loved it all. In a motorized RV, you’re in it 24/7. In a pull behind, you get out and go in your “house”. I just like pull behind better. Campers are the best people out there, if you have a problem, they will help. If you like fishing, Gore, OK, downstream Ten Killer Lake became our favorite. It’s a straight shot on I/40 from you. The trout sure taste good! CJ

Don’t think an RV cam will do much for a 351 in a big motor home. You just don’t have enough engine. You need “The Beast”. 😎

As for Gore & Tenkiller, that is beautiful country. Went to school in Tahlequah and know that area quite well.

Don’t think an RV cam will do much for a 351 in a big motor home. You just don’t have enough engine. You need “The Beast”. 😎

As for Gore & Tenkiller, that is beautiful country. Went to school in Tahlequah and know that area quite well.

I can’t help you with your decision but do have a motor home experience.

Back in late 70’s early 80’s, 5 of my friends and I rented a motor home and left the KSU campus headed for a week of skiing at Crested Butte. Trying to get that beast to make it over the pass outside of Salida required everyone but the driver to get out and push!!!

State trooper came along, called one of his buddies who spent 5 minutes under the dog house and we were on our way. Obviously none of us knew a thing about carbureted engines and the effect of altitude back then.

I can’t help you with your decision but do have a motor home experience.

Back in late 70’s early 80’s, 5 of my friends and I rented a motor home and left the KSU campus headed for a week of skiing at Crested Butte. Trying to get that beast to make it over the pass outside of Salida required everyone but the driver to get out and push!!!

State trooper came along, called one of his buddies who spent 5 minutes under the dog house and we were on our way. Obviously none of us knew a thing about carbureted engines and the effect of altitude back then.

Yes, there is a big difference when changing elevation between carburetors and EFI. Big Blue pulled that pass, Monarch, fairly well with the carb. But with EFI he has motored right on up other passes much more easily.

As for KSU, in my day Blue Hill was a popular hangout. 😎

Yes, there is a big difference when changing elevation between carburetors and EFI. Big Blue pulled that pass, Monarch, fairly well with the carb. But with EFI he has motored right on up other passes much more easily.

As for KSU, in my day Blue Hill was a popular hangout. 😎

Don’t remember Blue Hill. Tuttle Creek Reservoir and Aggieville seemed to draw most of my attention.

Don’t remember Blue Hill. Tuttle Creek Reservoir and Aggieville seemed to draw most of my attention.

Yep, been there too. Blue Hill was a parking lot overlooking town. Nothing else up there but a nice, paved parking lot.

Yep, been there too. Blue Hill was a parking lot overlooking town. Nothing else up there but a nice, paved parking lot.

well, we just landed back home, got dinner and cleaned up and now it's time to play catch up. we discussed every aspect that we could think of along with doing a few hypotheses on cost comparisons, pros and cons etc. and we are going to look at it together this week at least. I feel that I'm romanticizing the idea of travelling with the grandkids a bit. its try or don't at this point. I do not believe in any cost savings but will be pleasantly surprised if there is any. every means of travel has its cost. really wondering about how towable a bullnose is. I have a 3100lb f100 with a rts four speed. seems do able to me.

well, we just landed back home, got dinner and cleaned up and now it's time to play catch up. we discussed every aspect that we could think of along with doing a few hypotheses on cost comparisons, pros and cons etc. and we are going to look at it together this week at least. I feel that I'm romanticizing the idea of travelling with the grandkids a bit. its try or don't at this point. I do not believe in any cost savings but will be pleasantly surprised if there is any. every means of travel has its cost. really wondering about how towable a bullnose is. I have a 3100lb f100 with a rts four speed. seems do able to me.

Is the truck 2WD or 4WD? If 4WD then it's the transfer case that will dictate what you need to do to tow it. If it's 2WD then it's the transmission.

In either case the owners manual (if you have access to one) should have information on towing.

I know that back in the 70s for 4WDs Ford recommended very limited towing (something like less than 50 miles at less than 353 mph) unless you removed the rear driveshaft and unlocked the front hubs. Although there was also the advice to put the trans in gear (or park), the transfer case in neutral and to LOCK the front hubs (the front output shaft is lower in the case so spinning it will throw more lube around).

And in the '90s the transfer cases (at least some of them) had oil pumps on the rear output shaft so you can safely tow them with the transfer case in neutral, hubs unlocked and trans in gear (or park).

But I don't know about '80s 4WDs or really any 2WDs. Pulling the rear driveshaft is always an option.

And don't forget to consider brakes. You probably need them to be legal.

Is the truck 2WD or 4WD? If 4WD then it's the transfer case that will dictate what you need to do to tow it. If it's 2WD then it's the transmission.

In either case the owners manual (if you have access to one) should have information on towing.

I know that back in the 70s for 4WDs Ford recommended very limited towing (something like less than 50 miles at less than 353 mph) unless you removed the rear driveshaft and unlocked the front hubs. Although there was also the advice to put the trans in gear (or park), the transfer case in neutral and to LOCK the front hubs (the front output shaft is lower in the case so spinning it will throw more lube around).

And in the '90s the transfer cases (at least some of them) had oil pumps on the rear output shaft so you can safely tow them with the transfer case in neutral, hubs unlocked and trans in gear (or park).

But I don't know about '80s 4WDs or really any 2WDs. Pulling the rear driveshaft is always an option.

And don't forget to consider brakes. You probably need them to be legal.

my thought was the 2wd light f100. it's a long bed but 14" is not that big of a difference. a small ranger weighs about the same. and the f100 with a light rack would also carry the canoe. the other option is the trailer which has carried a few vehicles and has trailer brakes. now I'm taking up even more space when the car or truck is being a shuttle. this keeps reminding me of what I would always tell my customers. "Projects grow"! you say that you only want this but when you see it complete you will want more. I am willing to just go with the rv but a second means of travel is very valuable. especially in a hazard case. but I never carry a second car any other time. moving being the exception. I drive to wherever in just one vehicle. not so easy to leave a campsite for hotdogs in a 28'rig though once its connected.

my thought was the 2wd light f100. it's a long bed but 14" is not that big of a difference. a small ranger weighs about the same. and the f100 with a light rack would also carry the canoe. the other option is the trailer which has carried a few vehicles and has trailer brakes. now I'm taking up even more space when the car or truck is being a shuttle. this keeps reminding me of what I would always tell my customers. "Projects grow"! you say that you only want this but when you see it complete you will want more. I am willing to just go with the rv but a second means of travel is very valuable. especially in a hazard case. but I never carry a second car any other time. moving being the exception. I drive to wherever in just one vehicle. not so easy to leave a campsite for hotdogs in a 28'rig though once its connected.

Yeah, I see people pull out in the morning and then set up again in the evening after driving around all day in the motorhome. Not only does that mean having to break and make camp every day, but it's also driving into touristy places (read "crowded") in a motorhome. One of the reasons I'd rather pull a trailer with my truck.

But once you're set up for it it's not that bad flat-towing. I wouldn't recommend it for everyone, but for anyone who is reasonably mechanically inclined it's certainly doable.