Bullnose Forums

1985 F250 turbo-kit

Hi, it's some month ago, that I was active here. I've much to do at work and also at home with my kids and the house.

My Bronco runs fine as daily driver. Currently I'm working on my CJ7 to get a completely overhauled T5 gearbox in.

I've a friend, that bought a 1985 F250 with a 420 diesel. He asked me, what turbo-kit is recommendable for this engine.

Does anyone has a recommendation for a kit? Maybe from summit or bronco-gravejard?

He's also searching for a 2 to 3" lift-kit. Regarding to this, I've found this one:

Summit

Has has an AWD with 4-speed manual transmission.

Thanks for your help.

I believe Hypermax still sells kits also, but their very long up pipes seem inefficient. ATS no longer makes turbo kits for IDI.

Hypermax and older (used) Banks kits have transmission-specific pipes so be aware of that when buying. The ATS (used) can have worn cast iron joints that are not very repairable, so again inspect what you are buying and if the cast iron Y and up pipe are stuck together and not leaking… leave them that way!

For my crew cab build I bought the hot side kit from R&D IDI performance. They offer three pipe kits, and you source your own turbocharger. These are a whole different level than the commercial kits.

https://idiperformance.com/product-category/turbocharger-kits/

For the lift, an expensive but very good way to go is to do a solid axle swap. There's another thread going on right now about that right now (Dana 60 swap) but the simple summary is to get a front axle from a 1986 - 1997 F-350 and put it in in place of the independent suspension your friend's truck came with. If he uses stock F-350 springs it will give him a better ride and about 2" of lift. Or he can also install a Reverse Shackle Kit (RSK) which will give an even better ride and 2" more lift (4" total). Or he can also use U-code front springs from a later Ford SuperDuty pickup and get an even better ride (still about 4" lift).

For the lift, an expensive but very good way to go is to do a solid axle swap. There's another thread going on right now about that right now (Dana 60 swap) but the simple summary is to get a front axle from a 1986 - 1997 F-350 and put it in in place of the independent suspension your friend's truck came with. If he uses stock F-350 springs it will give him a better ride and about 2" of lift. Or he can also install a Reverse Shackle Kit (RSK) which will give an even better ride and 2" more lift (4" total). Or he can also use U-code front springs from a later Ford SuperDuty pickup and get an even better ride (still about 4" lift).

Hi!

Thanks for the information from all of you! I've collected ir and presented it to my friend.

Hi!

Thanks for the information from all of you! I've collected ir and presented it to my friend.

Rough country sells lift kits for the factory front axel. I'm planing on using one of their kits on my truck.