Bullnose Forums

300-6 long block stock engine

I'm not sure where you are. I have had mixed results from commercial builders, so I build myself these days. I have had good results from jasper many years ago. if I need something fast, I guess I would have to look but I try not to be in a hurry. desperate.

My $0.02. Do NOT buy a remanned engine. They are cobbled together junk. I've torn one down and it's shocking what you will find. Get yourself a good rebuildable core, and find a good builder. Yes, it may end up being more expensive, and take longer, but it will be worth it. You will know exactly what is going into it, and most builders will work with you if there is a problem. Besides, a reman will have stock(ish) parts. Built it yourself and you can add MORE POWER! :nabble_smiley_super:

My $0.02. Do NOT buy a remanned engine. They are cobbled together junk. I've torn one down and it's shocking what you will find. Get yourself a good rebuildable core, and find a good builder. Yes, it may end up being more expensive, and take longer, but it will be worth it. You will know exactly what is going into it, and most builders will work with you if there is a problem. Besides, a reman will have stock(ish) parts. Built it yourself and you can add MORE POWER! :nabble_smiley_super:

Was discussing 300s with a buddy of mine, and years ago he had a Ford reman 300 that ended up needing the head pulled, and he discovered 3 different pistons in it. And that was from FoMoCo.

I'm not sure where you are. I have had mixed results from commercial builders, so I build myself these days. I have had good results from jasper many years ago. if I need something fast, I guess I would have to look but I try not to be in a hurry. desperate.

Mat, I’m in Fl. I was looking at Jasper but they require their installers. My son owns Jett Motor Sports so it would cost me zero to install, what a son! CJ

Bradley, I would love to build it myself but I’m working in my driveway. I had a bay in my son’s race shop. He sold and moved away. I live in Jax, Fl area and it’s a minefield with engine builders. CJ

Was discussing 300s with a buddy of mine, and years ago he had a Ford reman 300 that ended up needing the head pulled, and he discovered 3 different pistons in it. And that was from FoMoCo.

85 Pig, I know it’s a crap shoot but it is what it is. CJ

Bradley, I would love to build it myself but I’m working in my driveway. I had a bay in my son’s race shop. He sold and moved away. I live in Jax, Fl area and it’s a minefield with engine builders. CJ

I can imagine. Have you ruled out a good used engine? Rusty Acres may have one.

Mat, I’m in Fl. I was looking at Jasper but they require their installers. My son owns Jett Motor Sports so it would cost me zero to install, what a son! CJ

I had my local shop order an engine for me from Jasper. They were happy to do it...and I am sure jacked the price a bit. I picked it up and dropped the core off a week later.

I've been happy with Jasper over the years. You might stop by one of your local shops and see of they'll get one for you.

I can imagine. Have you ruled out a good used engine? Rusty Acres may have one.

...Or keep a lookout at junk yards/eBay. Per a quick look at the latter, nothing bullnose specific. I did find this though:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125775892481

Looks to be a 300 out of an industrial application (likely an airport ramp truck). Might need to swap camshafts (Don't know if the industrial 300's were the same cam as carbed bullnose or not) and the valve cover (obviously different) but otherwise, should be the same/similar to a non-cali bullnose engine. My only reservation would be that it's already been rebuilt once and industrial use can be rough... I'd definitely try to offer it down if going that route.