Bullnose Forums

Spark Plugs For Big Blue?

I'm running into a bit of a problem finding the right spark plugs for Big Blue. IIRC Bill and/or Jim said Motorcraft ASF42C's, but I'm not finding them at a reasonable price. For instance, O'Reilly's wants $6.69 each for them. And Rock Auto wants $3.35 each for them. But other copper plugs sell for ~$1.00. :nabble_smiley_oh:

DeWayne/93F3507.3 at Skiatook Auto Parts can't even get them. In fact his listings don't even show those plugs for the EFI'd 460. Nor do Rock Auto. DeWayne and Rock Auto show platinum plugs are preferred, but in either copper or platinum they show using a 25 heat range in the Autolite - and I'm running 24's which are hotter.

Thoughts? What am I missing? :nabble_anim_crazy:

I can't tell you what you're missing, but I seem to recall many comments on FTE that platinum plugs are NOT preferred for this vintage of Ford engines. That conflicts with what you are finding, and I don't know what to do with that.

Yes, that's my memory as well. In fact, I think Bill was emphatic about that.

I am very :nabble_anim_crazy:

I can't tell you what you're missing, but I seem to recall many comments on FTE that platinum plugs are NOT preferred for this vintage of Ford engines. That conflicts with what you are finding, and I don't know what to do with that.

The parts stores want to sell the most expensive parts they can.

That's a cop out. Where's the discussion of what plugs I should use? Or what plugs to stay away from? :nabble_smiley_evil:

Seriously, Bill. You are the guru. What should I be using?

That's a cop out. Where's the discussion of what plugs I should use? Or what plugs to stay away from? :nabble_smiley_evil:

I use Motorcraft ASF42C plugs in Darth. I have in the past had decent results with NGK and even Holley plugs in my GT350. The Chrysler gets Champion RN12YC

Why don't you "project farm" it ? Maybe some A/F ratio vs miles/hrs (maybe some 0-60s even :nabble_smiley_tongue:) comparing the copper and platinum plugs. I have always used the Motorcraft SP502 platinum ones on all small block/big blocks, put over 15000 miles on a 302 bronco and the plugs still looked new... didn't know until today that copper may have potential advantages.

I haven't, Dane. Rock Auto shows the NGK 6630 V-Power, AUTOLITE 25, CHAMPION 18, ACDELCO CR43TS, and DENSO 5025 as being the correct heat copper plugs.

Have you run the NGK's?

I have. I like them. Always had good luck with NGK. They are all I'll run in small engines and especially older two stroke motorcycles.

I used to own Husky dirt bikes.