Bullnose Forums

Interior plastics paint?

It makes a difference whether you are color changing any pieces or not. I like SEM products, but I did find that Napa red is slightly translucent. Covering red interior pieces looked great with prep and one or two light coats. Covering an off color piece required many, many coats…

Everything is red except the dash which is tan. I’m either going with fire thorn red or Napa red. I did some calling around and a gallon is very hard to get and it would cost $800! I can get cans from my local paint shop for $25 a pop. I talked to sem and he said a gallon is around 32 cans.

I’ll probably pick up four cans to start with.

Everything is red except the dash which is tan. I’m either going with fire thorn red or Napa red. I did some calling around and a gallon is very hard to get and it would cost $800! I can get cans from my local paint shop for $25 a pop. I talked to sem and he said a gallon is around 32 cans.

One tip I have for changing color to red…

The generic Duplicolor vinyl paints at Autozone are cheap but actually really durable. Their red is absolutely awful, raspberry vomit. But, it IS very opaque. I discovered that good prep, a base coat of the horrid Duplicolor red then top coated with SEM looked just as good as the Ford Canyon Red plastics refreshed with the SEM Napa red color. If the Firethorn red has translucent qualities, try the Duplicolor under it so you don’t have to use a ton of coats.

It looks like you have a good plan. But Jonathan's suggestion certainly has merit. :nabble_smiley_good:

What are your guys thoughts on SEM clear coat over the paint/dye?:nabble_anim_confused:

It really depends on why you want the clear coat. They sell a glossy one and a matte one. If you are wanting to increase or decrease the sheen, then yes, clear coat is the thing to do. If you have a bunch of parts with different amount of sheen and you want them to match, clear coating everything will help.

If you are just wanting to add protection then skip it. My experience is somewhat limited, but the pieces that I painted black for my ‘81 have held up amazingly well. It’s been six years and lots of abuse by grandkids and dogs yet it still wipes down and cleans up just as nice as when I painted it. This was the Autozone Duplicolor brand vinyl prep and paint, and SEM ‘sand free’ prep on the hard plastics.

What are your guys thoughts on SEM clear coat over the paint/dye?:nabble_anim_confused:

It really depends on why you want the clear coat. They sell a glossy one and a matte one. If you are wanting to increase or decrease the sheen, then yes, clear coat is the thing to do. If you have a bunch of parts with different amount of sheen and you want them to match, clear coating everything will help.

If you are just wanting to add protection then skip it. My experience is somewhat limited, but the pieces that I painted black for my ‘81 have held up amazingly well. It’s been six years and lots of abuse by grandkids and dogs yet it still wipes down and cleans up just as nice as when I painted it. This was the Autozone Duplicolor brand vinyl prep and paint, and SEM ‘sand free’ prep on the hard plastics.

Thanks everyone for your input!:nabble_anim_handshake: