Bullnose Forums

Interior plastics paint?

I’m planning on redoing my interior in my 86 f150 and I’m wondering how much paint I should order to do all the plastic in the cab. I’m going to use SEM paint.

Thanks

John

What all are you doing? And what size cab do you have? Your signature doesn't say.

I used 1 1/2 cans to do a large 90's console from a Bronco inside and out. And earlier I used 3 cans to do two door panels, the regular cab corner trim, and trim that goes along the headliner and windshield.

But you'll also need the prep stuff. Have you read the instructions on our page at Documentation/Specifications/Interior Paint?

What all are you doing? And what size cab do you have? Your signature doesn't say.

I used 1 1/2 cans to do a large 90's console from a Bronco inside and out. And earlier I used 3 cans to do two door panels, the regular cab corner trim, and trim that goes along the headliner and windshield.

But you'll also need the prep stuff. Have you read the instructions on our page at Documentation/Specifications/Interior Paint?

It a standard cab with no headliner. I’ll be doing the door panels, dash pad, dash frame, a pillar trim, and the trim down by the vents. I’ll check the instructions out.IMG_1401.jpeg.4cd89f28f10cea336e43daf907328134.jpeg

Thanks

I’m planning on redoing my interior in my 86 f150 and I’m wondering how much paint I should order to do all the plastic in the cab. I’m going to use SEM paint.

Thanks

John

This is excellent, and I swear by SEM. Use it per instructions--and use the prep, adhesion promoter, etc. before the paint. You will not go wrong.

There is a bit of this on my thread, but, you will use more cans than you think on the larger pieces. Some may need more than one coat.

Thanks

John

This is excellent, and I swear by SEM. Use it per instructions--and use the prep, adhesion promoter, etc. before the paint. You will not go wrong.

There is a bit of this on my thread, but, you will use more cans than you think on the larger pieces. Some may need more than one coat.

They also sell a gallon of the color I’m going to use. Would I need one or two?

Thanks

They also sell a gallon of the color I’m going to use. Would I need one or two?

Thanks

Are you going to use a paint gun? I've been happy with the cans that Vinyl Pro sends me.

The cans say "Net wt. 5.46oz. Net wt. when filled 12 oz." So I assume that means there's 12 - 5.46 = 6.54 oz of paint.

And while at first blush it would appear that you can divide that 6.54 oz into the 128 oz in a gallon to get the # of cans in a gallon, that doesn't work. The problem is that the 6.54 ounces are weight and the 128 ounces are fluid ounces. Two very different things.

So I thought I'd figure it out but discovered it gets a lot more complex than I want to deal with. One site says paint weighs from 7 to 12 lbs per gallon, and that range is huge. So I gave up.

But if I was thinking about buying the paint in gallons I'd call Vinyl Pro and ask how many cans of paint that represents. I think it is a LOT and you'd only need one. But then you'd need a source of dry compressed air and a spray gun, plus all of the chemicals it takes to clean the gun when you are done.

Are you going to use a paint gun? I've been happy with the cans that Vinyl Pro sends me.

The cans say "Net wt. 5.46oz. Net wt. when filled 12 oz." So I assume that means there's 12 - 5.46 = 6.54 oz of paint.

And while at first blush it would appear that you can divide that 6.54 oz into the 128 oz in a gallon to get the # of cans in a gallon, that doesn't work. The problem is that the 6.54 ounces are weight and the 128 ounces are fluid ounces. Two very different things.

So I thought I'd figure it out but discovered it gets a lot more complex than I want to deal with. One site says paint weighs from 7 to 12 lbs per gallon, and that range is huge. So I gave up.

But if I was thinking about buying the paint in gallons I'd call Vinyl Pro and ask how many cans of paint that represents. I think it is a LOT and you'd only need one. But then you'd need a source of dry compressed air and a spray gun, plus all of the chemicals it takes to clean the gun when you are done.

Thanks Gary

We have all the tools to do it. I’ll have to give them a call.

It makes a difference whether you are color changing any pieces or not. I like SEM products, but I did find that Napa red is slightly translucent. Covering red interior pieces looked great with prep and one or two light coats. Covering an off color piece required many, many coats…

It makes a difference whether you are color changing any pieces or not. I like SEM products, but I did find that Napa red is slightly translucent. Covering red interior pieces looked great with prep and one or two light coats. Covering an off color piece required many, many coats…

Good point, Jonathan. I've only used SEM and it covers very well. In fact on the red console I painted blue it was probably covered with two coats, but I put on four to make sure.