Bullnose Forums

FLARESIDE 3 ON THE TREE JUST LISTED

Did you see this little F truck north of you in Indiana for $1000 bucks? Not a bad looking little truck...has some rust of course, a whole bunch of new parts, runs good, but no title...

Not sure how you guys get around that in the US. It's a show stopper for me.

There's a way around the lack of title in many/most states. In OK it is called Title 42, and was apparently written to allow mechanics who have more money into a vehicle than the owner will pay, so they just walk away.

I used the process for the 1950 Chevy pickup I was given which didn't have a title. I hired an outfit that does it all the time. They went through a process of having the state look for the title, which wasn't found, but it took the state quite a while to look. Then they advertise in remote/obscure places that the vehicle is being acquired on such and so date - something like 3 months away. Meanwhile you document the money you have in it, which includes storage fees @ $18/day, towing @ $3.75/mile, labor, parts, etc. So by the time the whole process comes to a close what you have in it is exhorbitant.

The fact that you've advertised that this process is ongoing can mean that someone will contact you wanting to buy it. But I was told that is rare, and even then when you show them the itemized costs you have against the vehicle they invariably back off.

However, I'm not sure I'd want to go through that process for a pickup like this one. There's the issue of taxes for one, as it is possible that the previous owner hasn't paid taxes, and the state may discover that in the process and want their money. In my case they didn't find anything about the vehicle in their records, so there wasn't an issue. But, there certainly could be.