Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Chuckling Noise In Steering Column

Excellent news. With all the machining you did, I think very people in the world can attain the perfection you have. Always love a solution that involves ingenuity vs. parts swapping.

Thanks.

But technically I did quite a bit of parts swapping as well as machining. I swapped the upper steering shaft to a spare I had, but put the original upper bearing on that shaft, although I had to shim it as the shaft was worn. Then I used the "sleeve" from the spare bearing, which is the rubber "tire" that pads the bearing, as it was bigger and fit tightly into the recess in the column. And I used the spare snap ring as the original one was stretched.

But the system is now "tight". There is absolutely no slop, noise, nor roughness in the steering.

Thanks.

But technically I did quite a bit of parts swapping as well as machining. I swapped the upper steering shaft to a spare I had, but put the original upper bearing on that shaft, although I had to shim it as the shaft was worn. Then I used the "sleeve" from the spare bearing, which is the rubber "tire" that pads the bearing, as it was bigger and fit tightly into the recess in the column. And I used the spare snap ring as the original one was stretched.

But the system is now "tight". There is absolutely no slop, noise, nor roughness in the steering.

That is not the parts swapping I was referring to or would even attach a stigma to. My definition involves several visits to AutoZone, with little to no diagnosis done. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig: