Bullnose Forums

Discussions From Testing InVision Platform

Jeff - I don't know if it is too early or not. But you are seeing the same thing I saw, which prompted me to say:

Invision treats the "description" of a sub-forum differently than Nabble does. On Nabble the description is hidden until you enter/click on the sub-forum. On Invision you see the description of each sub-forum when you enter the forum. So when you go to the Bullnose Forum on Invision it looks ugly 'cause the descriptions take up way too much space. (For instance, Forum/Website Plans & Funding includes the funding thermometers.) I don't know if there is anything that Stuart of Invision can do about that, but it wouldn't be that hard to fix, either before the conversion or after.

In your example, while the fonts are different in New Members Start Here, I don't think we should be seeing much of that text at all. If you compare the Nabble home page to the Invision home page you'll see that Nabble just has the name of the folder or thread where Invision has the description of the folder or the first 3 lines of the last post in a thread. I suspect that we can change the amount of description that is shown.

But we will need to figure out how we want to do this. I'm going to play with it and see what can be done. :nabble_anim_working:

IMG_1192.thumb.jpeg.259dad61077727fda14f4fc59924db8a.jpeg

Will this statement stay true?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff - I don't know if it is too early or not. But you are seeing the same thing I saw, which prompted me to say:

Invision treats the "description" of a sub-forum differently than Nabble does. On Nabble the description is hidden until you enter/click on the sub-forum. On Invision you see the description of each sub-forum when you enter the forum. So when you go to the Bullnose Forum on Invision it looks ugly 'cause the descriptions take up way too much space. (For instance, Forum/Website Plans & Funding includes the funding thermometers.) I don't know if there is anything that Stuart of Invision can do about that, but it wouldn't be that hard to fix, either before the conversion or after.

In your example, while the fonts are different in New Members Start Here, I don't think we should be seeing much of that text at all. If you compare the Nabble home page to the Invision home page you'll see that Nabble just has the name of the folder or thread where Invision has the description of the folder or the first 3 lines of the last post in a thread. I suspect that we can change the amount of description that is shown.

But we will need to figure out how we want to do this. I'm going to play with it and see what can be done. :nabble_anim_working:

Gary, what about our threads/posts made in Nabble since last July 9th?

There's nothing more recent in InVision, it probably (I suppose) corresponds to the date their technicians began to convert our current Nabble forum.

Gary, what about our threads/posts made in Nabble since last July 9th?

There's nothing more recent in InVision, it probably (I suppose) corresponds to the date their technicians began to convert our current Nabble forum.

Jeff - The conversion test was done on a snapshot of the forum taken in July, probably the 9th as you mentioned. But when the time comes we will lock the Nabble forum so no one can post, take a snapshot, convert that, and then put that up as the new forum.

As for the menu above, yes it will be the same. The Invision forum will be what shows up on the main page at garysgaragemahal.com and the menu above will be the same.

As for the gifs, do you have a link to one that doesn't work?

As for the gifs, do you have a link to one that doesn't work?

Here is an example (one of your own comments).

Curiously, this one doesn't react when I click on it, but I found some others that opened the gif itself when clicked.

https://i331881.invisionservice.com/topic/10845-new-member-1986-xlt-4x4-50l/?do=findComment&comment=293038

Good catch, Jeff. Jim's comment also has an example. Here's a link to his original post in Nabble and here's a link to how it came over in Invision.

I'll pass that on. Thanks.

Good catch, Jeff. Jim's comment also has an example. Here's a link to his original post in Nabble and here's a link to how it came over in Invision.

I'll pass that on. Thanks.

Gary, not a complete list, but here is my observation about transferred icons :

Broken animated gif:

laughing

head-rotfi

waving

Working animated gif::

claps

jump

handshake

confused

Working still icons::

whistling

happy

ho_no

scared

argh

thinking

Gary, not a complete list, but here is my observation about transferred icons :

Broken animated gif:

laughing

head-rotfi

waving

Working animated gif::

claps

jump

handshake

confused

Working still icons::

whistling

happy

ho_no

scared

argh

thinking

Thanks, Jeff. I'll pass the list on to Stuart.

But he says he is making good progress on resolving all the problems we've found. So I think things are looking good!

Thanks, Jeff. I'll pass the list on to Stuart.

But he says he is making good progress on resolving all the problems we've found. So I think things are looking good!

When I click those links, I get a "Oops! You do not have permission to view this topic."

I registered my account, just had to create a password. It pulled in my information... but none of the posts are visible. Hopefully I didn't mess up anything.

When I click those links, I get a "Oops! You do not have permission to view this topic."

I registered my account, just had to create a password. It pulled in my information... but none of the posts are visible. Hopefully I didn't mess up anything.

If you weren't already registered you'll have to register now. The email function has been turned on so you should be able to register and get an email confirmation. BUT, that function hasn't been tested so please write down each step as you go through so we can check it out if it doesn't work.

Oh yes!!!! You aren't an admin so can't see anything. Let me see what I can do. :nabble_anim_working:

If you weren't already registered you'll have to register now. The email function has been turned on so you should be able to register and get an email confirmation. BUT, that function hasn't been tested so please write down each step as you go through so we can check it out if it doesn't work.

Oh yes!!!! You aren't an admin so can't see anything. Let me see what I can do. :nabble_anim_working:

Ok, viven44 is now an admin so should be able to see things. But don't log into the adminCP, meaning admin control panel.