Bullnose Forums

E4OD options for 6.9l diesel

I don’t even know that the limp mode was an accurate assessment. He took on truck, thinking he could fix it. Quickly determined it was above his head. I don’t know if a swap from C6 to E4OD will work without a standalone controller of some sort.

I think what matters most at this time is that you currently have a tcm compatible for when you have a remanufactured e4od. and will have proper setup when it gets installed.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the responses! To be clear, this E4OD was burnt up before I got it. I only had it running and driving for a couple of days. It’s a Jasper transmission and when I gave them the product number it was so old that it wasn’t in their system.

I pulled a casting number off the transmission RF-F0TP-7006-BB. F=1990’s, 0=1990, T=truck. But I think there’s another number on top of the transmission that should tell me the vehicle it came out of, right?

Unfortunately, I have very little information from previous owner. He’s not the one that installed transmission, so he doesn’t know what it came out of.

Worst case scenario, I will have it towed to a shop and they can drop the transmission and tell me what it came out of, hopefully. Either way, tho, I do feel comfortable getting a 1990 E4OD for a 7.3l diesel, but there are warranty concerns with this setup. Usually, the first question I have to answer is about my VIN number. And when they find out that an E4OD doesn’t belong in my truck, they aren’t sure if warranty will honor this setup.

If anyone has a suggestion for a particular transmission manufacturer I should work with on my unique setup, please let me know. I’d like to work with a manufacturer that won’t give me so much grief about this setup.

I'm sure you are most concerned about long term reliability, but with the cost of a reman, wouldn't a good salvage unit make sense? Then, you'd have money left over for installing it and anything else you'll need. Just a thought.

I'm sure you are most concerned about long term reliability, but with the cost of a reman, wouldn't a good salvage unit make sense? Then, you'd have money left over for installing it and anything else you'll need. Just a thought.

I did check salvage, briefly. But, keep in mind that I am restricted to’89-91 E4OD for a 7.3l diesel. The local salvage here didn’t have it. Even if they did, I would want a pretty good warranty to go with it, which I’m not even sure they offer. In the end, I got a remanufactured for $2,195 with a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty. I was okay with that. I’m not saying it’s the cheapest option, but I did like the warranty. Honestly, I just want these problems behind me. I invested money in a controller and the labor to finagle the electronics (since I didn’t have the NSS from the C6). Last thing I want is a solution that has to be redone 3 months down the road.

I did check salvage, briefly. But, keep in mind that I am restricted to’89-91 E4OD for a 7.3l diesel. The local salvage here didn’t have it. Even if they did, I would want a pretty good warranty to go with it, which I’m not even sure they offer. In the end, I got a remanufactured for $2,195 with a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty. I was okay with that. I’m not saying it’s the cheapest option, but I did like the warranty. Honestly, I just want these problems behind me. I invested money in a controller and the labor to finagle the electronics (since I didn’t have the NSS from the C6). Last thing I want is a solution that has to be redone 3 months down the road.

that is a reasonable compromise. the cost is not cheap but not horrible. Are they installing it and setting up the tcm? the warranty is a big deal. and if the warranty requires a certified installer for it and the tcm then it is best.

that is a reasonable compromise. the cost is not cheap but not horrible. Are they installing it and setting up the tcm? the warranty is a big deal. and if the warranty requires a certified installer for it and the tcm then it is best.

No, they ship it to a local shop and mechanics there install. My current E4OD is already hooked up to tcm. As far as cost goes, I was seriously investigating rebuilding the transmission myself, and that would‘ve been the cheapest option. But, in the end, my Dad was suggesting to let professionals handle it and get a warranty. I had enough issues dropping and installing a C4 in F100 I used to have. Seems I needed an extra set of hands to help line it up, lift, and get bolts in. It was a hassle. And, this is a much larger transmission. If any issues, I’d have to tear it all back down and start over again.

No, they ship it to a local shop and mechanics there install. My current E4OD is already hooked up to tcm. As far as cost goes, I was seriously investigating rebuilding the transmission myself, and that would‘ve been the cheapest option. But, in the end, my Dad was suggesting to let professionals handle it and get a warranty. I had enough issues dropping and installing a C4 in F100 I used to have. Seems I needed an extra set of hands to help line it up, lift, and get bolts in. It was a hassle. And, this is a much larger transmission. If any issues, I’d have to tear it all back down and start over again.

the e4od is basically twice the c4 in both size and weight. and it is not as simple in design. rebuilding it yourself may still cost a good bit especially if you get into trouble and need to go pro eventually. I think you are on the right path. I like the warranty.

For what it is $2200 isn't bad.