Bullnose Forums

E4OD options for 6.9l diesel

I have a 1986 F350 with an E4OD already installed on it by previous owner. I then bought a standalone transmission controller from US Shift and had it installed by a shop. It worked for roughly 2-3 days before going out (reverse works, but nothing else). I had pan and fluid checked by transmission shop. Fluid was burnt and metal filings were in the pan.

So, I’m working on ordering a remanufactured E4OD transmission. Naturally, when I provide details on my truck, it doesn’t show as having an E4OD. I suggested to just pick the E4OD on a 1991 F350 7.3l diesel, but then he had all sorts of questions about axle ratio/speedometer gear and whether it has parking brake on the transmission (rear-mounted?).

Am I asking for the wrong E4OD? Where do I find the details in order to answer his questions?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just noticed that door tag shows “49”. Not sure what ratio that equates to?

IMG_0522.jpeg.81d0b779de6da6b5f4fcd4e396733a03.jpeg

The 49 is for the axle. The transmission is a K, which means your truck came with the venerable C6.

The E4OD didn't come out until 1989 in these trucks, so you could tell them you have an 89. But 91 also works.

As for " axle ratio/speedometer gear and whether it has parking brake on the transmission (rear-mounted)", the 49 means you have 3.55 gears. And you won't have a parking brake on the rear of the transmission.

However, the question about axle ratio and speedo gears may be getting to whether or not you need a transmission with an opening for a speedo gear. You do. Some later trucks had the speedo driven electronically from the rear axle, but you have a speedo cable so the tranny needs to have a hole in it for the cable.

IMG_0522.jpeg.81d0b779de6da6b5f4fcd4e396733a03.jpeg

I just noticed that door tag shows “49”. Not sure what ratio that equates to?

IMG_0522.jpeg

I did another search and found 3.55, but I also found it available on 1991 7.3l diesel? Not sure why this guy was concerned about me ordering an E4OD from a 1991 7.3l F350 diesel for my 1986 6.9l F350 diesel? Any thoughts out there?

I did another search and found 3.55, but I also found it available on 1991 7.3l diesel? Not sure why this guy was concerned about me ordering an E4OD from a 1991 7.3l F350 diesel for my 1986 6.9l F350 diesel? Any thoughts out there?

Probably because of the move to the rear axle-driven speedo. I don't know when that happened, but if you go very far into the 90's your tranny won't have a place for a speedo cable.

Probably because of the move to the rear axle-driven speedo. I don't know when that happened, but if you go very far into the 90's your tranny won't have a place for a speedo cable.

Gary, 1992 with the Aeronose introduction. He needs to order a 1991 or older so it will have the speedometer drive gear on the output shaft. He probably burned it up by not having enough line pressure. E4OD and 4R70/75W use an EPC (Electronic Pressure Control) solenoid which is a duty cycle solenoid the computer controls. Loss of power or ground signal will default to full line pressure and give some really firm shifts.

I think you are correct. I know the truck has an analog speedo and the trans must be compatible with a cable driven speedometer. I expect the axle ratio itself to do fine. however, the e40d has an od of .72. depending on the tire size a 3.73 might be better suited. as for the controller, it may need to be tuned to the axle ratio for shift points to avoid early upshift

Gary, 1992 with the Aeronose introduction. He needs to order a 1991 or older so it will have the speedometer drive gear on the output shaft. He probably burned it up by not having enough line pressure. E4OD and 4R70/75W use an EPC (Electronic Pressure Control) solenoid which is a duty cycle solenoid the computer controls. Loss of power or ground signal will default to full line pressure and give some really firm shifts.

Thanks, Bill. That's what he needs to know - 1991 or earlier.

Thanks, Bill. That's what he needs to know - 1991 or earlier.

Thanks for the responses! To be clear, this E4OD was burnt up before I got it. I only had it running and driving for a couple of days. It’s a Jasper transmission and when I gave them the product number it was so old that it wasn’t in their system.

I pulled a casting number off the transmission RF-F0TP-7006-BB. F=1990’s, 0=1990, T=truck. But I think there’s another number on top of the transmission that should tell me the vehicle it came out of, right?

Unfortunately, I have very little information from previous owner. He’s not the one that installed transmission, so he doesn’t know what it came out of.

Worst case scenario, I will have it towed to a shop and they can drop the transmission and tell me what it came out of, hopefully. Either way, tho, I do feel comfortable getting a 1990 E4OD for a 7.3l diesel, but there are warranty concerns with this setup. Usually, the first question I have to answer is about my VIN number. And when they find out that an E4OD doesn’t belong in my truck, they aren’t sure if warranty will honor this setup.

If anyone has a suggestion for a particular transmission manufacturer I should work with on my unique setup, please let me know. I’d like to work with a manufacturer that won’t give me so much grief about this setup.

Thanks for the responses! To be clear, this E4OD was burnt up before I got it. I only had it running and driving for a couple of days. It’s a Jasper transmission and when I gave them the product number it was so old that it wasn’t in their system.

I pulled a casting number off the transmission RF-F0TP-7006-BB. F=1990’s, 0=1990, T=truck. But I think there’s another number on top of the transmission that should tell me the vehicle it came out of, right?

Unfortunately, I have very little information from previous owner. He’s not the one that installed transmission, so he doesn’t know what it came out of.

Worst case scenario, I will have it towed to a shop and they can drop the transmission and tell me what it came out of, hopefully. Either way, tho, I do feel comfortable getting a 1990 E4OD for a 7.3l diesel, but there are warranty concerns with this setup. Usually, the first question I have to answer is about my VIN number. And when they find out that an E4OD doesn’t belong in my truck, they aren’t sure if warranty will honor this setup.

If anyone has a suggestion for a particular transmission manufacturer I should work with on my unique setup, please let me know. I’d like to work with a manufacturer that won’t give me so much grief about this setup.

I can't help you there, I rebuild my own transmissions.