Bullnose Forums

Bullnose Survivor Profile

Hey people, another Bullnose general question.

Just for fun.

:nabble_smiley_wink:

I joined this wonderful forum 2 1/2 years ago. So I do not have a huge experience about the tremendous amount of various information it contains, but I see a lot of new members arriving here with a 300 in-line six under the hood.

This brings me to this question:

Is there a “typical” profile of the Bullnose survivors?

I start the list:

• It is a regular cab;

• Style Side;

• Long bed;

• …

What about other specifications?

- Engine?

- Transmission?

- 3 on tree?

- 2x4?

- And so on…

:nabble_thinking-26_orig:

I think you are probably right that the typical is regular cab, Styleside, long bed.

But the engine is more difficult to guess, although it would probably be the 300 six or the 302. I say that because both were offered for the full seven years of the Bullnose era while none of the others were. The 351W would be next, having arrived in 82 for a five year run.

As for the transmission, that's even harder to guess. There were several of them, but the one that was used on all of the engines, I think, for all seven years was the C6.

Last, I'd guess there are more 4x4's on here than 4x2's since most want 4wd so would be inclined to buy one of those if given the chance. But there were probably more 4x2's sold.

That's my guess, Jeff. But you could edit your post and put a poll in it to have people answer your questions for their trucks and we'd find out over time.

I think you are probably right that the typical is regular cab, Styleside, long bed.

But the engine is more difficult to guess, although it would probably be the 300 six or the 302. I say that because both were offered for the full seven years of the Bullnose era while none of the others were. The 351W would be next, having arrived in 82 for a five year run.

As for the transmission, that's even harder to guess. There were several of them, but the one that was used on all of the engines, I think, for all seven years was the C6.

Last, I'd guess there are more 4x4's on here than 4x2's since most want 4wd so would be inclined to buy one of those if given the chance. But there were probably more 4x2's sold.

That's my guess, Jeff. But you could edit your post and put a poll in it to have people answer your questions for their trucks and we'd find out over time.

I'm out, mine is a Bricknose converted to a Bullnose. lol.

• 2 weeks later...

This is an interesting concept, my .02 is that it will be very regional. My son and I have been buying these for about three years and this is what I see the most of.

Trucks found in the best condition are-

F150

Regular Cab

8' Style Side Bed

2WD

300 Inline 6

C6

3.55:1

Usually in the XL trim

Condition worsens as you add in the following options.

4X4 - Rust gets worse the closer you get to salt.

302 - Has the Amazon HEI distributor installed.

302 EFI - Fuel pump mount has been lost from replacing the frame mounted pump 12 times.

351W - Transmissions are junk.

460 - Has had the carb and intake changed likely still not running correctly.

6.9L - Front end is worn completely out.

F250 - Body damage and worn out interiors.

F350 - Usually Cab Chassis with out a bed, totally worn out.

Dump Body - Poor thing was abused its entire life and left out to pasture.

XLT - Air Conditioning never works but the heater core is easier to change.

XLT Lariat - Seat Upholstery and imitation wood grain are sun baked and washed out.

In my area it's hard to call it between the 300 and 302, but I think I've seen more 300 trucks. Personally, though I acknowledge the 302 is a fine motor, I'd take a 300 over any other engine ever made. Even a 460.