Bullnose Forums

help with testing my 8.8, 3.55 limited slip

there are two different models used in these. the first generation comes from the fact that the earlier f100s had a small bolt pattern and therefore had a smaller centering hub for the front disc. this had to be carried to the rear axles centering hub also for the wheels to be interchangeable. all this to say that the centering hub will be about 2-7/8" where the next generation is about 3-1/4". I'm not measuring exactly but the scale is the point. the earlier axles that had the smaller centering hub also have a different size locking tab inside the carrier for the c clip requiring a different size center pin. this is the most relevant difference here. the center pin difference will be 3/4-7/8 approx. I can measure them for you if needed. these are NOT interchangeable withe the axles. axle/carrier combos must be kept together with proper parts. so, if you have the smaller centering hub then you have the smaller pin version of the trac loc.

funny thing that i just noticed. your trucks name is dolly. I have a dolly also. I'm curious about the reason.

Hey there Matt in TN, I dug around my shop and found exactly that! So it looks like I won't have to go back to school after all. But all of that is on hold as I address switching out the track lock clutch pack. I didn't even know that was a thing until I dug into the service manual chapter that Gary uploaded. It turns out that is a significantly cheaper alternative than replacing the entire LS assembly.

Unfortunately I don't know the age of this rear differential because the tag isn't on it. I do have the front Dana44 tag but that won't help with the rear diff. The reason I need the age, I think, is to buy the right Track Loc clutch pack. Can anyone weigh in on how I might proceed getting the right part?

The way I'm looking at the master parts catalog there are two different 8.8" locking axles 1983-86 and 1987 & later. If you look at the page at Documentation/Driveline/Axles & Differentials and then the Rear Axles & Differentials tab followed by the Applications Listing tab you'll see that the 8.8" came out in 1983. And that all 8.8" applications with a locking diff use Parts List #238.

Then if you go to PL #238 you'll find "4026 Differential assy, (locking)":

• E3TZ 4026-A Use with axle #WFL-A,B,B1,C,C1,D,E,F,H,365A,365B,805A,807A,809P-1983/86

• E7TZ 4026-C Use with axle #805D,807D,809S,813P,815D,817P,835A,837A,845A,847A— 1987/

That's all I know.

funny thing that i just noticed. your trucks name is dolly. I have a dolly also. I'm curious about the reason.

Mat in TN,

Well, the story of Dolly's name goes back to her predecessor that I jokingly named 'Jolene' after the Dolly Parton song about a woman trying to take her man. I thought I was being clever in making the correlation to that song in that 'Jolene' the truck was trying to take my wife's man (me). Well, in true form to the song, and Dolly Parton's story behind the song, Jolene was indeed no good. She had some serious frame issues, and was smog-deleted, which my area requires and I just didn't have it in me to fix all that. So I salvaged just about everything I could from her and found another truck with a better chassis that had lived an overall much better life. I'm nothing if not consistent, so I stuck with the Parton references and named this one 'Dolly'. I won't be able to gussy her up in such a way that truely honors her namesake, but when I'm all finished I plan on putting a decal of one of Dolly Parton's most famous quotes on the back window; "it takes a lot of money to look this cheap."

Gary,

The guy who owned this truck before me got back to me and confirmed that the 8.8 axle he put on it was from a 1986 frame. This being the case, can you speak to what Traction-Lok rebuild kit I would need? Part of wonders if this would be the same differential was placed in Mustangs of that vintage, in which case finding a rebuild kit is fairly easy as they are still made and sold by Ford Performance. Thoughts?

Gary,

The guy who owned this truck before me got back to me and confirmed that the 8.8 axle he put on it was from a 1986 frame. This being the case, can you speak to what Traction-Lok rebuild kit I would need? Part of wonders if this would be the same differential was placed in Mustangs of that vintage, in which case finding a rebuild kit is fairly easy as they are still made and sold by Ford Performance. Thoughts?

The MPC says your differential is "E3TZ 4026-A". And according to the 1980/1989 Ford/Lincoln Mercury Cars MPC that differential wasn't used in any car. Sorry.

Gary,

The MPC says your differential is "E3TZ 4026-A". And according to the 1980/1989 Ford/Lincoln Mercury Cars MPC that differential wasn't used in any car. Sorry.

the main difference between the car trac loc and the truck version is the axle splines. cars have 28 and the trucks have 31. this is achieved at the spider gears but the clutch pack and rebuild wear parts are the same.

as to "dolly". I bought a wrecked 93 flareside. to do a rebuild with. I wanted to try doing a patina paint job and so I went through the layering process. I spent the better part of a week wet sanding each panel to the point I liked before doing the clear coat. while sanding on the fiberglass rear quarters I got thinking that "this chick has real hips" then I got thinking about that same quote about taking a lot of work to look this cheap and it was set. so, I called the truck dolly, and she is now well accepted as a family member. however, my mother thinks it's a tribute and cannot understand that to me it's an insult with a grin. I am not a fan of D.P.