Bullnose Forums

White Chromatic Bronco and XLS Bronco restoration (eye candy)

to put it simply. either it is restored, reconditioned or modified. I try to be as transparent as I can be in descriptions because that's on me. I cannot do anything about what someone hears or thinks they heard. consider how often our own spouses don't get what we are saying. I do various versions. frame off resto mods. resurrections. repairs and so on. I never claim a total restoration. an old friend in mid tenn was known for his 55-57 chevy restorations. many awards. his term was "documented restoration" where everything was as it left the showroom. I watched him work and was impressed but I am not that obsessed. I build drivers, users, and not trailer queens that cannot be run long enough to change the color of the exhaust.

Restoration, restomod, modification. Anyone can call anything whatever they want. But the people who want an original vehicle don't really care what you want to call it. They just want a vehicle that hasn't been modified. And rare vehicles are more desirable because they're rare. A rose by any other name... but if you graft a venus flytrap into it because you (and lots of others) think that would be cool, it's not a rose anymore.

And of you're selling something and calling it "NOS", it better not be something you just made. There's certainly a market for good reproductions, but something new isn't "old stock."

"It's just semantics." But the definition of "semantics" is "the branch of linguistics and logic concerned with meaning " (Oxford dictionary). And since the whole point of communication is to transfer meaning to someone else, "it's just semantics" is equivalent to saying "it's just the whole point."

Is the white one one of the rarest Broncos? Not any more. It used to be one of three (or whatever it was he said) white, chromatic stripe Freewheeling editions. Now it's one of a million modified Broncos.

I'm not a restorer, so it'd be disingenuous of me to complain about someone modifying a vehicle. But anyone bragging about the original uniqueness and then sticking a 2021 motor in seems off.

Likewise the NOS stripes on the red Bronco that you can't find any more so they recreated them. Are they NOS or recreated? On the white Bronco he consistently said that the stripes were recreated from NOS material. I can accept that. But on the red one he called them NOS stripes that they were recreating. Huh???

OK, complaints over, those are REALLY COOL vehicles that I'd LOVE to have!

IMG_8922.thumb.jpeg.be28b62d1b4729c6b627898d81cd0d9d.jpeg

It wasn’t a survivor per se, I am surprised that Chris did a modification on this one though. But if you follow his FB group you know how many restorations he has done keeping everything as original as possible down to the last detail. I guess he wanted to do something different with this one.

On the XLS I noticed that the window shadow is just a bit off. I always liked the little angle ahead of the mirrors and his seems to be missing that:

IMG_8924.thumb.jpeg.f783827ffd419e0612105844e18a3091.jpeg

IMG_8927.thumb.png.4903d7ee89211a85c674c4c97f52d86c.png

IMG_8925.thumb.png.02712d868db8d57d14a5af7e379de576.png

IMG_8926.thumb.png.2f70fe58ee3bffec1cc16436dc38f4c3.png

Had no idea they had freewheelin' bullnoses !!!

Always wonder how people get these rare/clean vehicles. With enough money I suppose anything is attainable?

You have to be searching online all the time, all areas, and then have a good network of people looking for you also;)

That white Bronco was surprisingly cheap...I forget exactly what the asking price was as it has been a couple years now, but it was around $9000 if I recall correctly. Scott Benedict had it for sale in Phoenix, AZ and posted it on Instagram. I happened to see it very shortly after it was posted for sale and I tagged Chris Lott, and the rest is history. It looked like it had been in Arizona it's whole life...no rust, and paint and decals burned off lol.

In case you guys don't know Scott Benedict, he was the owner of Detroit Vintage Wheels, but in recent years has been living in Phoenix area and was picking up interesting or unique rust free vehicles and cleaning them up for resale, or just flipping them like this Bronco. He probably found this Bronco sitting in an Arizona field or backyard somewhere. I'm not sure what he's doing now...he seems to have deleted all of his social media accounts. He had a Bullnose also...a red/white tu-tone swb 4x4 with a 351w in it.

I personally would have liked to see that Bronco keep it's original engine, and maybe put a Holley EFI on it or something so that it could still be kept looking at least somewhat original under the hood. However, to each their own. I follow Chris and enjoy seeing the trucks and various other rigs he finds and cleans up. This bronco will probably pull a good price when/if he sells it.

On the XLS I noticed that the window shadow is just a bit off. I always liked the little angle ahead of the mirrors and his seems to be missing that:

Good catch Jon! You have a great eye for that stuff.

Had no idea they had freewheelin' bullnoses !!!

Always wonder how people get these rare/clean vehicles. With enough money I suppose anything is attainable?

there were a lot of unique bullnose trucks.

This one here I dont know much about but I want to say it was a dealership special order.

bigfoot.thumb.jpg.886dee1e18f6456107681be61540055a.jpg

It wasn’t a survivor per se, I am surprised that Chris did a modification on this one though. But if you follow his FB group you know how many restorations he has done keeping everything as original as possible down to the last detail. I guess he wanted to do something different with this one.

I asked Chris about the blackout frame around the window. He said they recreated that before they got the second XLS in the shop that had it original. He said he still finds it really odd that they deviated from the body contour but that’s how they did it. I asked if the original was vinyl or paint, and he said it was both… painted with vinyl edging. So there’s that…