Bullnose Forums

C6 Transmission Pick up tube

"by the time it is catching anything worth catching the trans has failed. or at least needs new clutches and at that point the seals are getting tired too."

Agreed

I thought about reusing the old filter. I had assumed it would clean up well but the mating surface had a lot of pitting. I assume it has been reused before. The grommet was also has hardened a lot, and had at least one dry crack spot.

all good points. but pitting is most commonly the result of having been rusted. nothing in the normal use of the transmission should cause pitting.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all good points. but pitting is most commonly the result of having been rusted. nothing in the normal use of the transmission should cause pitting.

You can see the pitting below, where I scraped off the old gasket. It was an odd type of gasket, with metal stripes, something that looked like one a rebuilder had installed. Besides that mating surface all else was very clean inside so I’m hoping the transmission has some life.

731317DD-9F2C-4E7D-9989-48B9A08DC7FF.jpeg.3ca097621aeb4199ba5d17ddcfe4080a.jpeg

A3AD21DC-92E6-492C-86B1-F2E0E800B087.jpeg.c11225edcdc86ac73cd40d67d09afa8b.jpeg

You can see the pitting below, where I scraped off the old gasket. It was an odd type of gasket, with metal stripes, something that looked like one a rebuilder had installed. Besides that mating surface all else was very clean inside so I’m hoping the transmission has some life.

definitely looks like rust caused by moisture contained. A gasket wet with trans fluid should prevent this but if a vehicle sits stored for an extensive period, especially if its outside going through seasonal changes this happens. start and run those vehicles monthly. I'm resurrecting a cool 67 cougar that was last reg in 1980. it was a barn find like we all want. but the engine was rusted together.

definitely looks like rust caused by moisture contained. A gasket wet with trans fluid should prevent this but if a vehicle sits stored for an extensive period, especially if its outside going through seasonal changes this happens. start and run those vehicles monthly. I'm resurrecting a cool 67 cougar that was last reg in 1980. it was a barn find like we all want. but the engine was rusted together.

I've had good luck with C6s that sat for a while. The governor sticks a little but after a few trips that problem goes away. Hoping this one turns out the same way!!

No more barn finds for me !!

Interested in hearing more about the cougar restoration!

No more barn finds for me !!

Interested in hearing more about the cougar restoration!

nice car but seems to have been " that old uncle's car" that got put up and forgot about. a couple dings but near perfect interior. owner wants od so it now has a remanned aod and a remanned 289. im spread a little thin across multiple projects so I'm glad that I have no deadlines. i am hoping to start it and do break in soon. waiting on a few odd bits right now

nice car but seems to have been " that old uncle's car" that got put up and forgot about. a couple dings but near perfect interior. owner wants od so it now has a remanned aod and a remanned 289. im spread a little thin across multiple projects so I'm glad that I have no deadlines. i am hoping to start it and do break in soon. waiting on a few odd bits right now

Very Cool! I didn't know you ran a restoration shop.

Very Cool! I didn't know you ran a restoration shop.

that makes it sound much better than it is. by no means is it kindigit designs. it's a dirty old factory that we work out of, and we are what I call a startup. my nephew is one of the few of his age that is as interested as I at his age. he has a good community of small customers and a couple small fleet ones also, but primarily filling the void of an old hotrod shop. I was doing bullnose trucks as a hobby in Nashville before I retired and now, I'm doing some of the old car projects for him. I'm also rebuilding/remanning engines and transmissions that we sell/ install. primarily windsors and aods.

that makes it sound much better than it is. by no means is it kindigit designs. it's a dirty old factory that we work out of, and we are what I call a startup. my nephew is one of the few of his age that is as interested as I at his age. he has a good community of small customers and a couple small fleet ones also, but primarily filling the void of an old hotrod shop. I was doing bullnose trucks as a hobby in Nashville before I retired and now, I'm doing some of the old car projects for him. I'm also rebuilding/remanning engines and transmissions that we sell/ install. primarily windsors and aods.

That's very cool. Sounds 'Uncle Tony's Garage'-ish :) I like his YouTube channel.

That's very cool. Sounds 'Uncle Tony's Garage'-ish :) I like his YouTube channel.

it's a bit like that. tony is building bigger and better and I think he is better monetized. he is building an additional dirty space to keep crud out of the main shop. we have a dirty shop that I am constantly trying to create a clean space. as it is my home shop is the clean space.