Bullnose Forums

Welded backplate on Rear diff

Hello

I was planning to fix a small leak on my rear diff and assumed I would just remove the back plate clean it up and re-seal it. However my rear diff has a back plate that is welded, the bolts are on the front facing side. Nothing in my manuals shows this. Do I have an after-market rear diff on it?

The truck is a 1982 short bed with 302 V8 and 4x4.

Paul

You probably have the Ford 9" rear diff. It doesn't have a removable back cover. You can see the instructions on it here: https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/axles--differentials.html.

And that would be the stock axle.

You can still pull it out, clean it and reseal it. But you need to first pull the axle shafts out. It's not that hard, but it is more than just removing the cover.

And that would be the stock axle.

You can still pull it out, clean it and reseal it. But you need to first pull the axle shafts out. It's not that hard, but it is more than just removing the cover.

9" for sure. but before you dive into it spray clean all that is wet looking with something like brake clean. then let dry overnight or more to see where it originates from. it may be from a couple different places. removing the third member is a handful. it is as heavy as some transmissions. easier for some than others. the gaskets are usually made pretty good and the only "working" seal is the pinion yoke seal.