Bullnose Forums

Clutch Switch Bypass For Big Blue

Clean wiring job! As expected from you.

By the way, is that a fuel efficiency meter ? How does it work ? Any special computer needed ?

Thanks!

That is an air/fuel ratio gauge. I used it in the set-up of the EFI system and then just left it on. Let's me see that the EFI system is doing its job.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks!

That is an air/fuel ratio gauge. I used it in the set-up of the EFI system and then just left it on. Let's me see that the EFI system is doing its job.

Got the new relay module in yesterday and today got most of the wiring done.

Not wanting to modify any wiring on the truck or do any more wiring under the dash than I have to, I found another clutch switch connector and plenty of R/LB wire. I cut down two male 1/4" terminals to .75" wide, which let them slip into the connector in place of the switch's terminals. Then I made a "connector" and a pigtail that will plug into the existing clutch switch connector and then into the switch itself. And it has a pair of R/LB wires running back to the relay module.

I drilled the box for a grommet large enough to get the pushbutton switch's connector through as well as the rest of the wiring, drilled three holes for screws to mount the module in the box, mounted the module and ran all of the wires but the ones to the LED, which is already on the truck. Hopefully I'll get to install it on Thursday, which requires sliding the LED wires through the grommet and terminating them, finding power and ground, and installing the pigtail onto the existing wiring and clutch switch.

Here are some pics, with the first one being the finished module save for the LED wiring, which just slips through the grommet and goes into the screw terminals, and the second two being the pigtail with the left one "open" and the right one showing how the male terminals go into the connector that's on the truck.

Module_In_Box__Partially_Wired.thumb.jpg.d3fe06d1cd7d86447ccb0ac131fe8127.jpg

Clutch_Safety_Pigtail.jpg.5b479731f9645302995d992fa33cd5b8.jpgClutch_Safety_Pigtail_-_Wrapped.jpg.ad0ccd12351b362cde58e816ebdb3df9.jpg

Not wanting to modify any wiring on the truck or do any more wiring under the dash than I have to, I found another clutch switch connector and plenty of R/LB wire. I cut down two male 1/4" terminals to .75" wide, which let them slip into the connector in place of the switch's terminals. Then I made a "connector" and a pigtail that will plug into the existing clutch switch connector and then into the switch itself. And it has a pair of R/LB wires running back to the relay module.

I drilled the box for a grommet large enough to get the pushbutton switch's connector through as well as the rest of the wiring, drilled three holes for screws to mount the module in the box, mounted the module and ran all of the wires but the ones to the LED, which is already on the truck. Hopefully I'll get to install it on Thursday, which requires sliding the LED wires through the grommet and terminating them, finding power and ground, and installing the pigtail onto the existing wiring and clutch switch.

Here are some pics, with the first one being the finished module save for the LED wiring, which just slips through the grommet and goes into the screw terminals, and the second two being the pigtail with the left one "open" and the right one showing how the male terminals go into the connector that's on the truck.

Looking clean!

Clean and precise job, as usual Gary!

:nabble_anim_claps:

Thanks, guys. Just one more minor mod to make BB everything I want him to be. 😎

Really?

:nabble_smiley_evil:

Well, maybe not everything when you put it that way. I'd like him to be pretty, but if I had the needed body work done and had him painted I'd be afraid to take him the places we've gone, so I guess I'll take functionality over looks. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Well, maybe not everything when you put it that way. I'd like him to be pretty, but if I had the needed body work done and had him painted I'd be afraid to take him the places we've gone, so I guess I'll take functionality over looks. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Didn't get as much done as I'd expected today. Had to write up a meeting for church and send the minutes out. And I re-wired a 72 year old Singer sewing machine for Janey.

But I did get a bit done on Big Blue. First, I undid the wiring I'd done in the box because I realized that I'd wired in the spare push button switch, but have one already mounted on the bezel. And since the connector on that switch is so big it has to be the first thing through the hole, everything else had to cone out.

Then I took the box to the truck and tried to run the mounted switch's lead to the box and discovered that's not going to work. The plan had been to run the wire over to the steering column and then past the trim piece and back to the box. But the wires aren't long enough to do that. So the plan now is to drill through the instrument bezel directly behind the AFR meter and run the wires through that hole.

However, reaching up behind the dash I could feel that there's some kind of opening there and it would be nice to hit it rather than drilling through the dash. So I went upstairs to my spare dash panel and did some measuring. Sure enough, the hole for the fog lights is exactly where I need to go through. So the plan for tomorrow is to pull the AFR meter and bezel, again, drill the instrument bezel, feed the wire through, and put it all back together. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Where_The_Hole_Will_Go_In_Bezel.jpg.88a1aaebd7620b02e67edd9c91808343.jpgHole_In_Dash.jpg.066eccabea18a0224e83ecb52c15f362.jpg

I agree with this 100%. I do not want to paint something and make it perfect. Philosophically and superstitiously I always leave things imperfect in the hopes that everything stays perfect the way it is :nabble_smiley_blush:

Edit: wife says I make no sense !!

And I re-wired a 72 year old Singer sewing machine for Janey.

I absolutely agree that Janey’s requests deserve to be treated as a matter of priority, compared to Gary’s hobbies.

:nabble_smiley_good:

There is no question about that.

:nabble_smiley_evil:

So I went upstairs to my spare dash panel and did some measuring.

That’s why I am always hesitating to get rid of my over-stock. You never know the way it could be useful.

So the plan for tomorrow is to pull the AFR meter and bezel, again, drill the instrument bezel, feed the wire through, and put it all back together.

Progress!