Bullnose Forum

"Bullnose" lawn tractor project

Ifitaintbroke

• 2 months later...

I must announce with regret that this project has been retired, and I don't think I will be trying to save it.

But, it's 100% my fault. When I rebuilt the engine, I failed to check the crankshaft endplay. That was a VERY serious mistake. I have less than 50 hours on and it is trashed. Well, maybe not trashed, but it will be needing new rods. How I found this out:

I pulled the motor to install a thrust washer, not realizing the damage had already been done. I was also pulling it because the alternator stopped working, and you must remove the engine to replace it. When I drained the oil it was so full of metal it looked like glitter glue. On top of all that I was unable to get the flywheel off.

It just doesn't make sense to keep going with this thing. The steering is shot, and the whole mower might as well be held together with bailing wire. I'm now going to do what I knew I should have done in the first place, save up for an actual tractor. A customer of mine at work has an 8N in excellent shape that he is cutting me an outstanding deal on. If and when I get it, I'll put up some pics and maybe start a thread.

2 hours ago, BigBrother-84 said:

Sorry to hear that Bradley.

I had fun following this interesting journey.

But like we say, all good things come to an end.

Thanks to have shared it with us!

Story isn't quite over as I already have a replacement for it. An "areonose" garden tractor.

20241023_161417.thumb.jpg.85834d5a625f7c688da1e66291737180.jpg20241023_161420.thumb.jpg.fc6e6595adb1a1add6c489334ee5dd13.jpg20241023_161433.thumb.jpg.56336e919883613cfd6bef77802d024c.jpg

41 minutes ago, 85lebaront2 said:

Bradley, if you want to part with any of the Craftsman GT, i would possibly be interested in discussing it with you.

Kind of second life, organ donation, continuation in helping others staying alive.

Noble way to leave this world.  :nabble_smiley_good:

Back story on mine, a co-worker in the lab at Newport News Shipbuilding picked it up, minus a deck to take to his retirement property about 3 hours away off interstate 64. He couldn't find a deck for it and after finding the varidrive didn't seem to work properly offered it to a friend and I to "just come get it". The friend was diagnosed with terminal colon cancer at 41 years old so he told me come get it if I wanted it, otherwise he would scrap it. I found a deck, the scissor lift was on the tractor. Lab manger has a Craftsman LT16 which has a 16 hp Craftsman (Tecumseh) OHV engine and a 6 speed transaxle (GTV uses a 3 speed with variable input drive). He bought a sleeve hitch for a GT thinking the LT was the same, frame on a GT is quite a bit wider so it wouldn't fit. He told me if I could fix the carb on his LT so it would idle he would give me the sleeve hitch.

Having spent the summer I graduated high school woring in the repair section of a lawn and garden shop, I knew what the probelm was. Tecumseh carbs have the idle circut hole in the main nozzle drilled after it is installed, removing it and reinstalling it results in no idle fuel. I asked if had had taken it out, he said yes, so I asked "Did you get the service main nozzle?", answer was no. I went home after we had dinner (take out) and I had driven my turbo Chrysler convertible (shocked him when I turned on the main road and floored it). Went home and sent him the PN for the service nozzle.