Bullnose Forums

Gary's "Nothing Special" Moab trip

LOL! The thing sticking down is a magnetic work light as it is dark under the truck and I was having trouble taking a picture. It won't cause a problem as it'll fall off easily if I forget it. :nabble_smiley_evil:

As for the receiver, I really shouldn't take it off as that plus this is my rear recovery point. Which brings up the question of how many recovery points I ought to have. I'd planned to use that in both the rear and the front. Do I need more? The front is via the front hitch which uses the same four G8 bolts that hold the winch on, but they aren't that big.

I kind of thought it wasn't actually a part of the truck, but I thought I'd make sure!

The one recovery point that works at both ends should be fine. I could easily imagine either one of us needing to give the other a tug, or to provide an anchor point for the other's winch. But we're not going to do anything that requires chaining a third vehicle in or anchoring to a tree or anything!

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kind of thought it wasn't actually a part of the truck, but I thought I'd make sure!

The one recovery point that works at both ends should be fine. I could easily imagine either one of us needing to give the other a tug, or to provide an anchor point for the other's winch. But we're not going to do anything that requires chaining a third vehicle in or anchoring to a tree or anything!

We have a plan, Stan! But I'm still bringing my tree saver and lots of chain, in addition to the winch. And maybe by then a few more recovery items. :nabble_smiley_wink:

We have a plan, Stan! But I'm still bringing my tree saver and lots of chain, in addition to the winch. And maybe by then a few more recovery items. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Not a bad call, but probably not all necessary. With two vehicles we'll be able to use each other as an anchor generally. I'd encourage you to bring the tree saver, but I'm not sure the weight of the chain is warranted.

I'll have my winch, a tree saver, a 20' tow strap and a high lift jack. I also usually bring a come-along and some heavy rope, but I keep thinking I should stop doing that since I haven't used any of that since getting a winch.

And for what it's worth, I often see people say that you shouldn't use chain in vehicle recovery. I think that's probably important advice if people are trying to use it in place of a kinetic rope :nabble_smiley_scared: But I don't see it being particularly dangerous as a winch extension, or as an anchor point when wrapped around a boulder. Still, actual winch extensions (generally the same material as your winch rope) and tow straps / tree savers are probably at least as good (respectively) while being a lot lighter and easier to handle.

Not a bad call, but probably not all necessary. With two vehicles we'll be able to use each other as an anchor generally. I'd encourage you to bring the tree saver, but I'm not sure the weight of the chain is warranted.

I'll have my winch, a tree saver, a 20' tow strap and a high lift jack. I also usually bring a come-along and some heavy rope, but I keep thinking I should stop doing that since I haven't used any of that since getting a winch.

And for what it's worth, I often see people say that you shouldn't use chain in vehicle recovery. I think that's probably important advice if people are trying to use it in place of a kinetic rope :nabble_smiley_scared: But I don't see it being particularly dangerous as a winch extension, or as an anchor point when wrapped around a boulder. Still, actual winch extensions (generally the same material as your winch rope) and tow straps / tree savers are probably at least as good (respectively) while being a lot lighter and easier to handle.

I also have the high lift jack, and am thinking about getting a kinetic recovery rope/strap.

I carry the chain because when I'm using the trailer I use it on the rear of the vehicle. However, it takes a lot to lift the bag it is in out of the toolbox, so leaving it behind for this trip is a good idea.

I could bring a come-along, but surely we won't need it. However I do have one or two very heavy ratchet straps in. But I don't have any rope that heavy.

I also have the high lift jack, and am thinking about getting a kinetic recovery rope/strap.

I carry the chain because when I'm using the trailer I use it on the rear of the vehicle. However, it takes a lot to lift the bag it is in out of the toolbox, so leaving it behind for this trip is a good idea.

I could bring a come-along, but surely we won't need it. However I do have one or two very heavy ratchet straps in. But I don't have any rope that heavy.

I'm reading with curiosity as to how you're doing things off road.

Is this the hook you were talking about Bob?

https://www.harborfreight.com/receiver-tow-hook-95594.html

I've thought about a kinetic rope and would love to have one. But they are expensive and I've never seen a need for one in Moab. In sand or snow it works well to get a run at pulling someone out. But in rocks a slow, steady pull is best, and a normal tow strap is great for that. So sure, get one if you want. But I don't think it will be needed on this trip.

A heavy ratchet strap or two might be really good to have. I have lighter ones, but I've seen people use a heavy one to squeeze a tire down to help reseat a bead on a tire. I've never lost a bead, but if it happens it would be good to have options to fix it.

I've thought about a kinetic rope and would love to have one. But they are expensive and I've never seen a need for one in Moab. In sand or snow it works well to get a run at pulling someone out. But in rocks a slow, steady pull is best, and a normal tow strap is great for that. So sure, get one if you want. But I don't think it will be needed on this trip.

A heavy ratchet strap or two might be really good to have. I have lighter ones, but I've seen people use a heavy one to squeeze a tire down to help reseat a bead on a tire. I've never lost a bead, but if it happens it would be good to have options to fix it.

Dane - I don't know what hook Bob is thinking of, but the one I have is solid in the middle. So I'd say it is several times stronger than the one from HF.

However, I don't know if that is required as I don't know where the weak link is. But the tube of the receiver looks to have thicker walls than the HF part, and the whole hitch is held to the frame with eight 5/8" G8 bolts, so I'm guessing that the HF part would be the weak link.

Bob - Good idea on re-seating a bead. I have one strap in and could easily add another. And with 200 psi in my onboard air system I'll bet we can get a bead seated. :nabble_smiley_good:

I'm reading with curiosity as to how you're doing things off road.

Is this the hook you were talking about Bob?

https://www.harborfreight.com/receiver-tow-hook-95594.html

Where was I talking abut a hook? But no, I personally would get that type of hook (oops, typo. I meant to say I wouldn't get that type of hook). I like the closed shackles like Gary showed a few posts ago. Pluto has tabs on both bumpers for them.

Where was I talking abut a hook? But no, I personally would get that type of hook (oops, typo. I meant to say I wouldn't get that type of hook). I like the closed shackles like Gary showed a few posts ago. Pluto has tabs on both bumpers for them.

That's funny! I saw both my hook and shackle hitches in the garage today.

.... Another thing I've seen is people have a pintle hook in the receiver....

Looking back I think this is what I said that made you think of a hook. But I wasn't talking about a hook, I was talking about a pintle hitch, also called a pintle hook (see that link for an example).

That works as a STRONG recovery point, and also a smooth, solid piece to skid across the rocks.

But now seeing how low Big Blue's receiver is with respect his bumper, I don't think the additional protection from a pintle hook would be worth the cost in departure angle.

And to Gary's point about the strength of the closed shackle vs an open hook, I'm sure that's true. But my main thought is that a strap (or whatever) can come off a hook if you let the tension off, while the closed shackle is not going to let it go.

By the way, the piece of equipment I'm calling a shackle is called shackle, hard shackle, bow shackle or D-ring in the 'wheeling community. The rigging industry (where it actually comes from) calls it a clevis.

Another option that I'd like to get into is a soft shackle. They have a lot more flexibility (no pun intended) around where you can connect them. And they're soft and light, so they don't become a projectile if something breaks. But they don't give them away! And since I'm still using a wire rope on my winch the safety aspect of the soft shackle is kind of wasted, so I haven't gone that route yet.