Bullnose Forums

Gary's "Nothing Special" Moab trip

Sure, that's fine. I might not be great at looking back to a post at the beginning, but I agree that would be the easiest to find.

I will touch on spare parts here (having hit tools above). Again I don't tend to travel very heavy here (but I'm not saying you SHOULD go as light as I do).

About all I regularly bring is spare fluids. Big Blue probably holds onto his better than Pluto, but I've needed to add oil, brake fluid, ATF (aka power steering fluid) and coolant on trips (sometimes even multiple times per day :nabble_smiley_scared:). I also bring lube for the axles, trans and t.case, although I've never had to add those.

We aren't going to be going at it hard, so I REALLY don't anticipate breaking drivetrain components, but others recommend U-joints (both drive shaft and front axle), axle shafts (especially front axle outer stubs), driveshafts and locking hubs. Of those the only thing I bring (and usually leave in camp) is driveshafts, and that's only because I ended up with two sets so I might as well bring both rather than leave the spares at home.

And speaking of spares, a tire is an obvious spare part that I do bring.

A collection of nuts and bolts is another good idea that I don't follow.

I'm not sure if this is a tool or a spare part, but I also have a "drive-away-lock" for my OX locker (a way to lock it manually if my air system gives up the ghost).

And spare valve stem caps for when I inevitably lose one airing down or up.

Back to tools, a couple jumper wires (short wires with alligator clips at both ends) have come in very handy at times. And if you're going to bring spare U-joints you should have all of the tools you need to change them. But that's something I don't need to worry about! (and don't think you do either)

And a tire repair kit has been strongly suggested. That seems like a really good idea, but given that I've never even had one flat when 'wheeling (knock on wood!) I've never got that round toit,

Bob - I've started a document and embedded it in my first post. But it is very preliminary, so don't worry that it looks like I'm including the kitchen sink. :nabble_smiley_evil:

The tools list I got some time ago from an outfit that arranges remote adventures and I put the whole list in. But I'll go through the list and see what I have vs what they recommend and modify the list as I think appropriate. (But I already have a lot of that. :nabble_smiley_wink:)

And yes, I have a spare. But I don't have a tire repair kit so will get one. And I'll throw in some valve stem caps.

I do have a driveaway lock for the OX locker. But I hadn't planned to bring u-joints as I don't have all the tools with which to change them out.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But it is very preliminary, so don't worry that it looks like I'm including the kitchen sink.

:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

And yes, I have a spare.

No joke, I was wondering about it after reading at your list!

:nabble_smiley_wink:

I had similar tools and stuff for Big Brother’s Big Tour (although no air tools), and even that I had to buy a nice compact steering puller, when a little plastic tab of my turn signal switch broke, dropped in and blocked the entire flasher movement.

We always carry all the tools but the one we need.

:nabble_head-slap-23_orig:

One thing I was happy to have was a small foldable plastic stepladder, to easily access the engine compartment. But maybe Big Blue’s front bumper is enough wide for this purpose.

But it is very preliminary, so don't worry that it looks like I'm including the kitchen sink.

:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

And yes, I have a spare.

No joke, I was wondering about it after reading at your list!

:nabble_smiley_wink:

I had similar tools and stuff for Big Brother’s Big Tour (although no air tools), and even that I had to buy a nice compact steering puller, when a little plastic tab of my turn signal switch broke, dropped in and blocked the entire flasher movement.

We always carry all the tools but the one we need.

:nabble_head-slap-23_orig:

One thing I was happy to have was a small foldable plastic stepladder, to easily access the engine compartment. But maybe Big Blue’s front bumper is enough wide for this purpose.

That's an idea, Jeff. I do have one of these that I use all the time to access Big Blue's engine. In fact, it is ratchet-strapped to the LF tire at the moment 'cause it kept walking away as I worked. But since it folds up nicely I could take it if there's room. It is now on the list. Thanks!

Northern_Tool_Aluminum_Step.jpg.55849a510806e68091b53c19600f2a68.jpg

.... But I don't have a tire repair kit so will get one.... But I hadn't planned to bring u-joints as I don't have all the tools with which to change them out.

Please don't take the list of things I don't bring as a request that you bring them! If I haven't found the need over the 37 years I've been 'wheeling to carry something, it probably won't be needed on this trip! I'm trying to help you think this through (because I know you like doing that!). But my overall advice here is similar to what I said about modifications you should make before the trip. Get what you want to get, and don't worry about what others say. With some basic hand tools and spare fluids we'll survive anything that comes up. Not saying you can't bring the kitchen sink if you want to (it might be nice for washing hands after getting them dirty on some repair!). But "if you want to."

.... But I don't have a tire repair kit so will get one.... But I hadn't planned to bring u-joints as I don't have all the tools with which to change them out.

Please don't take the list of things I don't bring as a request that you bring them! If I haven't found the need over the 37 years I've been 'wheeling to carry something, it probably won't be needed on this trip! I'm trying to help you think this through (because I know you like doing that!). But my overall advice here is similar to what I said about modifications you should make before the trip. Get what you want to get, and don't worry about what others say. With some basic hand tools and spare fluids we'll survive anything that comes up. Not saying you can't bring the kitchen sink if you want to (it might be nice for washing hands after getting them dirty on some repair!). But "if you want to."

I'm taking the things people say as a suggestion and then evaluating them on my own. So keep suggesting and I'll keep evaluating.

For instance, Jeff's idea of a step stool was a good one as BB's engine compartment is hard to reach from the ground. And I don't like standing on the bumper as it is old and the chrome is thin. Besides, the fog lights are there so there's not a lot of room to put your feet. And if you have to reach to the back you have to be on your knees on the radiator support, and my knees do NOT like that. So the step stool is on the list with a question mark to see how much room we have as the packing begins.

As for the tire repair kit, my nephews had both recommended that a few years ago but I've not done it. However, since they've been to Moab several times I should think about that. (Btw, Hell's Revenge is the favorite trail for one of them.)

.... Not saying you can't bring the kitchen sink if you want to (it might be nice for washing hands after getting them dirty on some repair!)....

And on the serious side, I do bring waterless hand cleaner and a roll of shop towels.

And back to other people's suggestions, I have seen valve stems torn or ripped out in some YouTube videos, so spare valve stems are sometimes recommended. I've heard that there are valve stems that can be installed from the outside. Not sure how that works, but if they are a thing (and a good thing) it would sure beat having to break a bead to replace a valve stem and then reseat it.

(I'm not surprised Hell's Revenge is his favorite trail. It's a good 'un!)

.... Not saying you can't bring the kitchen sink if you want to (it might be nice for washing hands after getting them dirty on some repair!)....

And on the serious side, I do bring waterless hand cleaner and a roll of shop towels.

And back to other people's suggestions, I have seen valve stems torn or ripped out in some YouTube videos, so spare valve stems are sometimes recommended. I've heard that there are valve stems that can be installed from the outside. Not sure how that works, but if they are a thing (and a good thing) it would sure beat having to break a bead to replace a valve stem and then reseat it.

(I'm not surprised Hell's Revenge is his favorite trail. It's a good 'un!)

Bob - I'd never even heard of replacing a valve stem w/o busting the bead, but now that I've done a bit of research there are dozens of videos on how to do that. However, the best ones appear to be associated with this kit from Amazon: AME INTL 51025 Quick Tire Valve Change Tool. That looks slick, and it is now on the list, albeit with a question mark. But at $45 it would be a huge benefit on the trail, so I suspect there will be one in my tool box. :nabble_smiley_good:

And I have hand cleaner and two rolls of paper towels.

On the trail names, I may throw another in the mix. I have the Garmin Montana and need to see what trails it shows and what it calls them. Plus I have Gaia, All Trails, & onX Offroad. So even if Garmin doesn’t have a trail I can download it from one of the others and import it. But I haven’t started that yet should do, soon.

Well, I'm finally to the point that I'm dusting off the Garmin Montana with the intent of checking out what trails it has loaded in. But before I got started the thing told me that there were several updates to both the software and the maps that I needed to do. And that's where the trouble started.

The problem was that there wasn't enough storage in the device's internal storage to do the updates. However, there was enough storage on the external chip I have installed, so I tried to move some files from internal to external storage. Unfortunately there wasn't enough room to even do that! :nabble_smiley_cry:

After a while I was able to delete enough things on the internal storage to move a file, and then another and another, and finally got the updates installed. Then I started looking for the trails we are going to run, and none of them are listed on the Garmin maps.

So I downloaded a gpx file and tried to upload it to Garmin's Basecamp app. But they've discontinued Basecamp, so now you have to install Garmin Express. By this time the frustration was running HIGH!

So I took a break and went over to facebook where I found a guy on the Oklahoma Back Roads page asking how to get the Sugar Creek Loop map file over to his Garmin. And the responses echoed exactly what I was feeling - "Don't waste your time! The user interface is horrible and it won't have the maps you want when you get there."

So I'm about to sign up for OnX Offroad and see if I can download maps for our trails and then upload them to the Garmin. If not I may have a Garmin for sale - cheap. :nabble_smiley_argh:

On the trail names, I may throw another in the mix. I have the Garmin Montana and need to see what trails it shows and what it calls them. Plus I have Gaia, All Trails, & onX Offroad. So even if Garmin doesn’t have a trail I can download it from one of the others and import it. But I haven’t started that yet should do, soon.

Well, I'm finally to the point that I'm dusting off the Garmin Montana with the intent of checking out what trails it has loaded in. But before I got started the thing told me that there were several updates to both the software and the maps that I needed to do. And that's where the trouble started.

The problem was that there wasn't enough storage in the device's internal storage to do the updates. However, there was enough storage on the external chip I have installed, so I tried to move some files from internal to external storage. Unfortunately there wasn't enough room to even do that! :nabble_smiley_cry:

After a while I was able to delete enough things on the internal storage to move a file, and then another and another, and finally got the updates installed. Then I started looking for the trails we are going to run, and none of them are listed on the Garmin maps.

So I downloaded a gpx file and tried to upload it to Garmin's Basecamp app. But they've discontinued Basecamp, so now you have to install Garmin Express. By this time the frustration was running HIGH!

So I took a break and went over to facebook where I found a guy on the Oklahoma Back Roads page asking how to get the Sugar Creek Loop map file over to his Garmin. And the responses echoed exactly what I was feeling - "Don't waste your time! The user interface is horrible and it won't have the maps you want when you get there."

So I'm about to sign up for OnX Offroad and see if I can download maps for our trails and then upload them to the Garmin. If not I may have a Garmin for sale - cheap. :nabble_smiley_argh:

Yeah, I've never been overjoyed with Garmin's user interface. But it's what I've used so I keep using it.

I've heard good things about OnX, but I've never used it. From what I've heard I'm pretty sure all of the trails we're looking at will be available there.

Yeah, I've never been overjoyed with Garmin's user interface. But it's what I've used so I keep using it.I've heard good things about OnX, but I've never used it. From what I've heard I'm pretty sure all of the trails we're looking at will be available there.
I've subscribed to OnX and am poking around. But all the trails I'm looking at are there, including the Sugar Creek Loop in SW OK, where we are going on Thursday. The app is easy to use and I think I'm going to like it.

However, I am going to try to download the OnX maps for the various trails and load them up to the Garmin. I've just gotten that done for Sugar Creek, although the map didn't come from OnX so that may turn into an issue. But I need to record how I got it to the Garmin:

1. Garmin Explore on tablet: Using Explore via a browser on my tablet I "imported" the file and put it in a new collection.

Garmin Explore on iPhone: I can't get Explore on the tablet to then sync to the Montana. But Explore on the iPhone will sync to the Montana, and since the two Explores are apparently are looking at the same file on the cloud if if put it on via the tablet it is there for the iPhone. However, the first sync took 30 minutes and it takes wifi.