Bullnose Forums

Gary's "Nothing Special" Moab trip

Hell's Revenge is a scary trail and you'll see that in this video. But I think this video also does a pretty good job of showing how difficult the trail isn't.

Someday this trail will be asphalted, with a nice and smooth rubber pavement.

:nabble_smiley_evil:

No fair, you're showing the entrance to Hell's Gate, the optional obstacle I told Gary to skip!

As to the trails getting permanently paved in rubber, I've heard that in the spring, after an off-season with less traffic and a few storms they get cleaned up pretty well.

But yes, the "black top road" is a unique sight!

No fair, you're showing the entrance to Hell's Gate, the optional obstacle I told Gary to skip!

As to the trails getting permanently paved in rubber, I've heard that in the spring, after an off-season with less traffic and a few storms they get cleaned up pretty well.

But yes, the "black top road" is a unique sight!

Ok, I'm watching, and here are comments as we go:

That's the couple I've watched, and communicated with, regarding overlanding in the Ozarks.

The fin at the beginning and the one at 5:30ish is spooky, but I assume we'll do many of those in Fins & Things?

The climb at 6:15 was steep! And going down at 6:50ish was as well.

At 10:40 that Jeep Grand Cherokee doesn't appear to have a locker in the front and maybe not in the back. In fact, the 2023 version's advert says a rear locker was optional

I skipped welding the tie rod back together. :nabble_smiley_wink:

At 25+ the drone footage is typical of OOA. They always give you a good overview of what they are tackling. But I could do w/o the "music".

I'll bypass the bit at 27:15 where the Jeep is showing off. I like the way the others went.

The marks on the rocks at 28:50 are impressive! That Grand Cherokee made it w/o dragging, but that pickup left quite a mark w/the rear bumper. I'll bet Big Blue will as well, but with the hitch. :nabble_smiley_wink:

At 30 minutes that dip is going to be a problem with BB's wheelbase. :nabble_smiley_scared:

And at 31:30 that "fin" is scary, but the "staying in your lane" analogy works for me.

Ok, the Dragon's Tail is scarier! "I will tell you if something is about to go wrong." How much warning do I get??? :nabble_smiley_oh:

Bottom Line: By Day 5 I might have the confidence to do that. Not sure Janey will though, so we will have to see how things are going. How confident we are with my abilities and how Big Blue is doing . In other words, let's put this in the "maybe" category.

That's the couple I've watched, and communicated with, regarding overlanding in the Ozarks.

The fin at the beginning and the one at 5:30ish is spooky, but I assume we'll do many of those in Fins & Things?

At 10:40 that Jeep Grand Cherokee doesn't appear to have a locker in the front and maybe not in the back. In fact, the 2023 version's advert says a rear locker was optional

At 25+ the drone footage is typical of OOA. They always give you a good overview of what they are tackling. But I could do w/o the "music".

I'll bypass the bit at 27:15 where the Jeep is showing off. I like the way the others went.

The marks on the rocks at 28:50 are impressive! That Grand Cherokee made it w/o dragging, but that pickup left quite a mark w/the rear bumper. I'll bet Big Blue will as well, but with the hitch. :nabble_smiley_wink:

At 30 minutes that dip is going to be a problem with BB's wheelbase. :nabble_smiley_scared:

And at 31:30 that "fin" is scary, but the "staying in your lane" analogy works for me.

Ok, the Dragon's Tail is scarier! "I will tell you if something is about to go wrong." How much warning do I get??? :nabble_smiley_oh:

Bottom Line: By Day 5 I might have the confidence to do that. Not sure Janey will though, so we will have to see how things are going. How confident we are with my abilities and how Big Blue is doing . In other words, let's put this in the "maybe" category.

A few quick responses without checking the video to see exactly what you're referring to.

....The fin at the beginning and the one at 5:30ish is spooky, but I assume we'll do many of those in Fins & Things?

The fins on Fins & Things are at the end and can be skipped. If we do that trail we'll decide on whether or not to do the fins when we get to them.

.... At 10:40 that Jeep Grand Cherokee doesn't appear to have a locker in the front and maybe not in the back. In fact, the 2023 version's advert says a rear locker was optional

I think they said it has traction control, so working brakes individually to get tires to stop spinning. That works OK, but it does allow some spinning, and tends to be a little jerky as it hits the brake and maybe cuts throttle while you're trying to up that steep hill.

.... The marks on the rocks at 28:50 are impressive! That Grand Cherokee made it w/o dragging, but that pickup left quite a mark w/the rear bumper. I'll bet Big Blue will as well, but with the hitch. :nabble_smiley_wink:

If it's what I'm thinking, going over it at an angle with the Grand Cherokee is what kept her from dragging. They tried that with the Toyota, but the open diffs left him crossed up, so they had to do the straight-on approach. With a front locker Big Blue can probably avoid getting crossed up, so we can try the angle approach. But yes, he'll still likely drag the hitch once or twice :nabble_smiley_whistling:

.... Ok, the Dragon's Tail is scarier! "I will tell you if something is about to go wrong." How much warning do I get??? :nabble_smiley_oh:

Yeah, that comment maybe wasn't the most genuine! But seriously, all the driver needed to know was where "his lane" was for that fairly short time he was breaking over the top and couldn't see over his hood. That isn't too hard to deal with, and your camera will help too.

Yeah, I'm thinking it's a "maybe". We'll see where you both are at that point. And we could even do the "gatekeeper" fin and then reconvene. If it seems like doing things like that will be more exciting than terrifying we can go on. If not, it's easy to turn and go right back out on the exit road (the fin is one-way).

A few more comments now that I've watched the video at the points you referenced.

.... The fin at the beginning and the one at 5:30ish is spooky, ...

the one at the beginning definitely gets your attention. That's the "gatekeeper" I was talking about. If driving over stuff like that all day will make it a bad day you should turn around right away. The one at 5:30 I think won't be as bad. I don't think it looks all that high. It more seems to be an "on-ramp" to get up that hill to the vehicles right. But yes, there are a lot of things on this trail that are spooky. Whether the trail is fun or not depends on if you can see that as exciting or if it's just terrifying. And we'll have to see how that goes.

At 6:15 the Wrangler is taking an optional line up the side of the fin from 5:30. Yes it's steep! But you get an idea of the incredible traction as he just walks up.

6:50 is a mandatory part of the trail (no bypass). But you just idle down and let the traction make it easy.

Yes, 28:50 is where the diagonal approach kept her from dragging. And 30 minutes is the Toyota on the same obstacle. Taking it at an angle with Big Blue might be helpful, but he may well drag is hitch.

That's one of the "exciting" parts for sure!

And you disappoint me! I thought for sure you'd have some commentary on his commentary on Dragon's Tail at 34:04: "This is the super sketchy, turn into it and feel like you're going to die downhill section. It's so much fun!"

A few more comments now that I've watched the video at the points you referenced.

.... The fin at the beginning and the one at 5:30ish is spooky, ...

the one at the beginning definitely gets your attention. That's the "gatekeeper" I was talking about. If driving over stuff like that all day will make it a bad day you should turn around right away. The one at 5:30 I think won't be as bad. I don't think it looks all that high. It more seems to be an "on-ramp" to get up that hill to the vehicles right. But yes, there are a lot of things on this trail that are spooky. Whether the trail is fun or not depends on if you can see that as exciting or if it's just terrifying. And we'll have to see how that goes.

At 6:15 the Wrangler is taking an optional line up the side of the fin from 5:30. Yes it's steep! But you get an idea of the incredible traction as he just walks up.

6:50 is a mandatory part of the trail (no bypass). But you just idle down and let the traction make it easy.

Yes, 28:50 is where the diagonal approach kept her from dragging. And 30 minutes is the Toyota on the same obstacle. Taking it at an angle with Big Blue might be helpful, but he may well drag is hitch.

That's one of the "exciting" parts for sure!

And you disappoint me! I thought for sure you'd have some commentary on his commentary on Dragon's Tail at 34:04: "This is the super sketchy, turn into it and feel like you're going to die downhill section. It's so much fun!"

Yeah, I heard what he said, but then I've watched bunches of his videos and have gotten used to his ... malarkey. (I'm a day or two late with that one.) But I was a bit surprised when I went back to watch it again how many scrapes there are on the rock. I'd have thought the line was a bit to the left, but maybe not.

And you are right, Big Blue can take lines that Toyota couldn't, or couldn't get through, so maybe the hitch won't drag quite as much as it would otherwise. I probably have about the same amount of overhang as the Toy, so I expect to drag the hitch. But I hope we don't mess up that Warn front bumper.

Oddly enough, Welder Scott wants that hitch, but then we've not gotten the metal together to make the bumper that would let me give him the hitch. So I guess he'll get a scraped hitch. :nabble_smiley_evil:

And the camera will give me some forward visibility that will make it less nerve wracking since I can tell I'm on the nice, black road that Jeff pointed out. Plus, if the dip we are going into doesn't require a lot of articulation I can inflate the air bags a bit to raise the rear.

Anyway, let's file Hell's Revenge in the "maybe" column. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Yeah, I heard what he said, but then I've watched bunches of his videos and have gotten used to his ... malarkey. (I'm a day or two late with that one.) But I was a bit surprised when I went back to watch it again how many scrapes there are on the rock. I'd have thought the line was a bit to the left, but maybe not....

The yellow paint shows the line: center yourself on the diamonds, keep it between the lines. The biggest concentration of scrapes is dead center on the trail, but I do see what you mean about a bunch of scrapes outside of the right line. I'm not sure what that's about. But if we do Hell's Revenge we'll need a pretty good reason to color outside those lines.

Yeah, I heard what he said, but then I've watched bunches of his videos and have gotten used to his ... malarkey. (I'm a day or two late with that one.) But I was a bit surprised when I went back to watch it again how many scrapes there are on the rock. I'd have thought the line was a bit to the left, but maybe not....

The yellow paint shows the line: center yourself on the diamonds, keep it between the lines. The biggest concentration of scrapes is dead center on the trail, but I do see what you mean about a bunch of scrapes outside of the right line. I'm not sure what that's about. But if we do Hell's Revenge we'll need a pretty good reason to color outside those lines.

I'm pretty good at coloring within the lines. Have always thought it was wrong to get outside of them, and if we do Hell's Revenge I'll be extra careful. :nabble_smiley_oh:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pretty good at coloring within the lines. Have always thought it was wrong to get outside of them, and if we do Hell's Revenge I'll be extra careful. :nabble_smiley_oh:

I thought it might be worth a little discussion about tools and spare parts. I say that in spite of not being the most prepared person with respect to that. Or maybe because? Anyway...

The tools we'll use most are things I know you already have: a way to air down and a way to air back up. A while ago we talked about deflators. There are a number of ways to do that range from a sharp rock to push the pin in the valve stem to some very involved system. What I have and like, and I'm pretty sure you also got, was something like these that screw on like a valve stem cap and let air out to a pre-set pressure. It's not necessarily the fastest delating system out there, nor is it the most flexible (in that you can't set them to a different pressure very quickly). But they work well and very easily.

We've already talked about airing back up, and I know we both have on-board compressors (with some of us not having as fast compressors as others). Something like a Power Tank is another option, but no reason for either of us to go there with the compressors we already have.

Otherwise for tools I go pretty basic. I have a small ammo can that has a selection of basic hand tools: a few wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers, etc. I usually throw in a 3/8" socket set. And of course a lug wrench and a couple of jacks (one hi-lift and one hydraulic bottle jack).

I do have a larger tool box that I leave in the motorhome, but mostly that's just a better collection of hand tools. A multi meter is about the most exotic tool I bring, and that's usually left in camp.

I thought it might be worth a little discussion about tools and spare parts. I say that in spite of not being the most prepared person with respect to that. Or maybe because? Anyway...

The tools we'll use most are things I know you already have: a way to air down and a way to air back up. A while ago we talked about deflators. There are a number of ways to do that range from a sharp rock to push the pin in the valve stem to some very involved system. What I have and like, and I'm pretty sure you also got, was something like these that screw on like a valve stem cap and let air out to a pre-set pressure. It's not necessarily the fastest delating system out there, nor is it the most flexible (in that you can't set them to a different pressure very quickly). But they work well and very easily.

We've already talked about airing back up, and I know we both have on-board compressors (with some of us not having as fast compressors as others). Something like a Power Tank is another option, but no reason for either of us to go there with the compressors we already have.

Otherwise for tools I go pretty basic. I have a small ammo can that has a selection of basic hand tools: a few wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers, etc. I usually throw in a 3/8" socket set. And of course a lug wrench and a couple of jacks (one hi-lift and one hydraulic bottle jack).

I do have a larger tool box that I leave in the motorhome, but mostly that's just a better collection of hand tools. A multi meter is about the most exotic tool I bring, and that's usually left in camp.

Bob - I've been thinking about creating a list of tools and supplies I'm bringing, and to me the easiest way to do that is to create a Word document and embed it in a post. That's because then I can edit it and it'll show the edits next time anyone visits that post.

I know some people don't like that, but this is essentially our thread, so is that ok with you? If so, I propose to put it in my first post in the thread since that will be the easiest to find. Does that work for you? Or would it be better to put it here in this discussion?

As you'll see, I bring a LOT of tools and supplies. And since Janey & I won't have a motorhome with us it'll all be coming on the trail. That includes a DVM, a whole bunch of hand tools, a spare ECU, belts, recovery equipment, a hilift & a bottle jack, wood to jack against, the deflators you mentioned, and even an awning and chairs in case we need to get in the shade.

So we could compare notes and make sure we have the waterfront covered. Does that work for you?

Bob - I've been thinking about creating a list of tools and supplies I'm bringing, and to me the easiest way to do that is to create a Word document and embed it in a post. That's because then I can edit it and it'll show the edits next time anyone visits that post.

I know some people don't like that, but this is essentially our thread, so is that ok with you? If so, I propose to put it in my first post in the thread since that will be the easiest to find. Does that work for you? Or would it be better to put it here in this discussion?

As you'll see, I bring a LOT of tools and supplies. And since Janey & I won't have a motorhome with us it'll all be coming on the trail. That includes a DVM, a whole bunch of hand tools, a spare ECU, belts, recovery equipment, a hilift & a bottle jack, wood to jack against, the deflators you mentioned, and even an awning and chairs in case we need to get in the shade.

So we could compare notes and make sure we have the waterfront covered. Does that work for you?

Sure, that's fine. I might not be great at looking back to a post at the beginning, but I agree that would be the easiest to find.

I will touch on spare parts here (having hit tools above). Again I don't tend to travel very heavy here (but I'm not saying you SHOULD go as light as I do).

About all I regularly bring is spare fluids. Big Blue probably holds onto his better than Pluto, but I've needed to add oil, brake fluid, ATF (aka power steering fluid) and coolant on trips (sometimes even multiple times per day :nabble_smiley_scared:). I also bring lube for the axles, trans and t.case, although I've never had to add those.

We aren't going to be going at it hard, so I REALLY don't anticipate breaking drivetrain components, but others recommend U-joints (both drive shaft and front axle), axle shafts (especially front axle outer stubs), driveshafts and locking hubs. Of those the only thing I bring (and usually leave in camp) is driveshafts, and that's only because I ended up with two sets so I might as well bring both rather than leave the spares at home.

And speaking of spares, a tire is an obvious spare part that I do bring.

A collection of nuts and bolts is another good idea that I don't follow.

I'm not sure if this is a tool or a spare part, but I also have a "drive-away-lock" for my OX locker (a way to lock it manually if my air system gives up the ghost).

And spare valve stem caps for when I inevitably lose one airing down or up.

Back to tools, a couple jumper wires (short wires with alligator clips at both ends) have come in very handy at times. And if you're going to bring spare U-joints you should have all of the tools you need to change them. But that's something I don't need to worry about! (and don't think you do either)

And a tire repair kit has been strongly suggested. That seems like a really good idea, but given that I've never even had one flat when 'wheeling (knock on wood!) I've never got that round toit,